Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RedBeardSean

Old May 24th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Okay, I've made a start on this. I thought I'd chart my progress here for posterity and input. I'm working only the core rules only at this point, though I own the Companion, too. (and James McMurray's awesome Quick Reference thingie makes this quite a bit easier.)

So far, I've copied the WoD dataset, added the Pantheons as Clans and the Gods as Bloodlines. I'm assuming at some point I'll be able to change the category names, and delete the irrelevant data from those same categories.

I've also changed the dataset Wod logo for the Scion logo on the system selection screen (yeah, a minor detail, but it keeps me from editing the wrong set of files by mistake).

I'm using the HLKitWiki for reference, but I've not read through the whole thing; I'm mainly going through the steps in the same order they're laid out for the Savage Worlds walkthrough, and doing cross-referencing on the rest of the Wiki as necessary.

I have, at this point, precisely zero xml experience. I'll likely order XML For Dummies in a couple of weeks, as the editor becomes less useful than the raw coding.

More as it happens.
RedBeardSean is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM
How much do the Scion *mechanics* differ from the WoD system? If the mechanics differ, you're going to run into big problems when you start to apply those changes. The reason is that you can't make significant changes to the mechanics within the WoD data files. Since you copied that game system, all of the mechanics live within the package file, and you can't make changes to that stuff.

If you are trying to adapt the existing WoD data files to Scion, then you do *not* need the Authoring Kit. You only need the Kit if you want to create a completely new set of data files from scratch - or to use the Savage Worlds or D&D 4E data files that are included with it as samples.

If Scion differs from WoD in terms of mechanics in distinct ways, you may need to start from scratch. I don't know enough about Scion to offer useful guidance in that regard.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
RedBeardSean

Old May 26th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Yeah, I think I may need to start over from scratch- much as I hate to have to.

The system is just different enough that I can make some comparisons to the WoD files, but they don't really follow the same rules as far as ability categorization, etc. I won't have time until next week to get back to it, but I will keep the journal going, here, when I do.
RedBeardSean is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Coldashes

Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:34 PM
Did this dataset ever get made by chance?
Coldashes is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:21 PM
At this point, even if it's probably a year away, I'd probably wait for the Second Edition of Scion to come out.

Though if Lone Wolf could make a deal to support the new Scion and Trinity Continuum that would be seriously awesome.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
At this point, even if it's probably a year away, I'd probably wait for the Second Edition of Scion to come out.

Though if Lone Wolf could make a deal to support the new Scion and Trinity Continuum that would be seriously awesome.
CCP games is difficult to get licensing from... As far as I am aware, Onyx Path only writes the new content, they don't actually own any of the brand licenses... so Lone Wolf would still have to bargain with Hammer and Sickle games to do an official Scion package.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old August 27th, 2014, 07:13 PM
They're licensed for the WOD, but they actually own the Aeonverse and Scion.

http://theonyxpath.com/about/faq/
Paragon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
They're licensed for the WOD, but they actually own the Aeonverse and Scion.

http://theonyxpath.com/about/faq/
WoD and Exalted, which means going through CCP for those systems.

You'll have to check the monthly newsletter as Lone Wolf typically makes licensing announcements there.

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old September 9th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
WoD and Exalted, which means going through CCP for those systems.
Yes, but the question was about Scion, which they do own as the link I posted shows.
Paragon is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 9th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
Yes, but the question was about Scion, which they do own as the link I posted shows.
I know that, But seeing as how nothing is mentioned in the newsletter as of yet, I think this going to have to be a user project. Onyx Path already outsourced Exalted 3's character builder to a different company, which you can read about in their website pages. I'm doubtful they will license Scion fir a character builder personally.

RavenX is offline   #10 Reply With Quote