Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Aril

Old October 1st, 2020, 10:33 PM

Unread Today, 10:32 PM
I'm working on creating a Sorcerer bloodline, and I'm having an odd problem.

This bloodline is a variant of one of the ones from the Core Rulebook, and one of the abilities it has it that for the purposes of archetypes etc. the new bloodline counts as the original core bloodline.

Meaning that if the character wants to take an archetype available to characters with that core bloodline, they can do so, and swap out the new bloodline's ability at the appropriate level.

I originally created all the new abilities in the "Class Abilities" tab.

Then I realized I couldn't figure out how to make these count as abilities from the core bloodline.

I then re-created them in the "Custom Ability" Menu.

I'm down to the last step, where I'm trying to create the bloodline itself, and assign the special abilities the sorcerer gets at each level. That's all controlled in the "Class Special Abilities" menu.

But the problem is that because I've recreated all these sorcerer abilities as "Custom Abilities", they don't appear in the "Class Special Abilities" menu.

I figure I've done something simple wrong....but I don't know what.

1-Is there a way to create a Class Special Ability, and have it count as another ability for pre-reqs? I couldn't find that option.

2-If 1 is not possible, and I *do* have to create this using the Custom Ability menu, how can I pick *other* custom abilities as class abilities to be gained at different levels?
Aril is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 2nd, 2020, 07:30 AM
Do you need to re-create them? Can't your bloodline just bootstrap the same ones as the CRB bloodline?
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old October 3rd, 2020, 10:15 AM
I don't know how to bootstrap......it's not something I've done before.

All my additions have been by taking something that already exists...and then modifying it. Either a skill/feat/spell etc......or individual scripts.
Aril is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old October 3rd, 2020, 11:13 AM
OK, so I don't know if I'm doing this right.

In the bloodline I'm adapting, it's based on the Fey sorcerer bloodline. So, the part I'm having problems with is "Class Special Abilities". Due to the need to have the abilities granted at 1st, 3rd, 7th, 9th levels etc. count as the abilities from the Fey bloodline for the purpose of prerequisites, I had to recreate them in the Custom Ability menu.

So, in the Fey bloodline, the "Class Special Abilities" shows "x7" beside it, I think because there are 7 abilities gained at different levels.

If I go in that menu, I can see the various abilities, and each has a "Tag" assigned, and if I click on it, it shows an ability has been selected, and then uses "ClSpecWhen" and then shows the level at which the character is supposed to get the ability.

Given that I just need to swap out the abilities, I used the little icon that looks like a wrench, go in there, and I *can* find the names of the various abilities I created. So I pick them, and replace the ability that originally was selected.

However, each time I do it, the # that appears beside "Class Special Abilities" goes down each time I pick the ability I actually *want* to have used. So I can't actually see if this worked. When I click the "Test Now" button, it seems to work. It's not throwing errors. I just can't see anything appearing in that "Class Special Abilities" as the "spot" disappears......but on the main page, at the top right where it has the button for "Bootstraps" what I've done *does* appear in there.

Does that mean it's working, and because it's a custom ability, it's just going to not appear in the "Class Special Abilities" but it'll in fact work?
Aril is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old October 3rd, 2020, 11:44 AM
So I've done it this way, ran the test button, got no errors, and then tried creating a character.

When building the character and picking a bloodline, the bloodline description doesn't show any of the abilities that I bootstrapped, in the descriptive text.

However, when I go into the "Special" tab of the character I'm building, I see *some* of the abilities appear there, but not all of them. Some that are supposed to work all the time appear in the "In-Play" tab to need to be activated, and others are just missing.

And one of the abilities was created by modeling after "Strength of the Abyss" from the Abyssal bloodline....ie. it adds +2 to an ability score at certain levels, and I tried setting the character to the appropriate level and the bonus didn't appear.
Aril is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old October 3rd, 2020, 09:10 PM
I've played around with the Tags on Class Abilities, and added in "HasAbility" and then typed in the identifier for the ability it's supposed to count as.

But when I test, I try creating a sorc 1, pick the Wildblooded archetype, and then pick the new bloodline, and it doesn't work. The abilities don't get correctly recognized and replaced.
Aril is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old October 3rd, 2020, 10:37 PM
It might be helpful if you post a copy of the user file of the bloodline. This way people can see what you have coded and check it rather than making guesses on what you have missed/mistaken.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old October 4th, 2020, 10:26 AM
I think I've solved this one. I don't think the sorcerer bloodlines ACTUALLY swap out individual abilities.

I think they've just essentially created the wildblooded bloodlines as entire standalone bloodlines, and you just pick the archetype "Wildblooded" to enable them.

So to have the wildblooded bloodlines available, I'd need to essentially create a Sylvan variant bloodline by doing picks etc. from scratch and replacing the abilities that are supposed to be replaced.
Aril is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old October 4th, 2020, 09:37 PM
I can verify that my suspicion is correct surrounding Wildblooded bloodlines. I was able to create the desired variant bloodline simply by copying the Sylvan bloodline, and making the desired modifications.
Aril is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind

Old October 10th, 2020, 06:04 AM
Good job!

Forum link for my content work:
Pathfinder Thread
Forum link for SU 5e content work:
5e Steven Universe Thread
This link is for my group, but feel free to play it with:
DMM 5e | "https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsd9w1eodlnwjq0/updatesDMM.xml?dl=1" Copy this link to your update manager to get updates when available.
This adds the Pisky subrace to elves from Berserk! and additional subraces for the Gem Race.
Please post comments in the provided threads above.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #10 Reply With Quote