Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Farling

Old February 25th, 2019, 06:58 AM
I guess you can build a character without buying any books or PDFs from Paizo also?

HeroLab is built for players, rather than GMs. It doesn't only get used at the start of the character generation, but keeps the rules accurate when levelling up too. It also, if used at the table, instantly applies spell modifiers without the player having to remember what to add or subtract on each dice roll.

The cost of buying each additional package is akin to buying a PDF book from Paizo; and with HLO the purchase cost will drop if you already own the PDF.

I can't see a realistic scenario where LWD can make any money out of each package without charging as they do. After all, the amount they charge per package isn't huge based on the amount of time it takes the data entry for the package to be constructed.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58156) and Output tools (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59981)
Farling is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 25th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
and with HLO the purchase cost will drop if you already own the PDF.
I think you misspoke here and mean RW not HLO as HLO does not check for the existence of a PDF like RW will....

Otherwise I agree with you Farling... HLO/HLC costs are dirt cheap compared to the features you get from HLO/HLC. LW should be allowed to make money from its products...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; February 25th, 2019 at 10:44 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 27th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Great ideas! We're already considering many of them.
BJ is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
evdjj3j

Old March 1st, 2019, 04:26 PM
@Farling
"It also, if used at the table, instantly applies spell modifiers without the player having to remember what to add or subtract on each dice roll."

HLO does not do this, it's one of the issues I am having now.

HLO and HLC
32 GB iPad 5th Generation
evdjj3j is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Thrawn82

Old August 3rd, 2019, 07:17 AM
To hijack this thread rather than start a new one: now that pf2e is out and it is fall what is the status of the group license?

I’ll be honest I love hero lab and have used classic, paid for a full set of licenses, bought almost every content pack available. Every player at my table uses the iPad version of classic when we play. It is my preferred character creator and gm resource and you know better than I do the thousand+ dollars spent to have a hlc license with every content pack.. With the new edition, having all the characters in a single place accessible by me (the gm) and all the players at the table simultaneously is the determining factor on whether my group(s) buy into hlo to the same level we did hlc, or whether we move to a completing product. It’s extremely important as a gm to have access to the online character sheets my group is using while running and planning the game.
Thrawn82 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
blkohn

Old August 3rd, 2019, 05:33 PM
I'd add that group prices need to be reasonable. My group changes frequently... and costs for a player to manage their single character from an iPad should not be the same as mine being gm with all the books. Asking a player to pay for books to use a character in my game seems a bit too far IMO.
blkohn is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 4th, 2019, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkohn View Post
I'd add that group prices need to be reasonable. My group changes frequently... and costs for a player to manage their single character from an iPad should not be the same as mine being gm with all the books. Asking a player to pay for books to use a character in my game seems a bit too far IMO.
The costs are no different from how players are supposed to use Hero Lab Classic. Each player has their own license and their own set of purchased books.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58156) and Output tools (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59981)
Farling is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old August 4th, 2019, 06:17 PM
@Waterslethe pretty much described my group interaction with HLC. I bought most everything to have it to create (Non player) characters, use the combat manager, and even export to d20Pro for a while. The old players I had, had little interest in content beyond the base stuff, and maybe a source book here or there. I don't think any of them got the companion books.

My current group is a mix. One guy might be interested in HLC/HLO when we go to PF, we currently play 5E. Two guys use cheap apps for their iPads, one guy has HLC and an iPad. I don't know about the fifth and what he would do.

I would say the only thing I could add to it is maybe pricing is like the various VTTs, where the GM license is a bit more but allows the GM to share what he has with the players? Then the GM might have to track the licenses? Gets a little off LW's plate to track? I know it still might not work because it assumes the GM can afford it (or collects money for it?) and that might not always be true.

Or maybe, as you are online, add in something like dndbeyond's campaign? Might allow for better tracking of custom (can we make custom things in HLO with full rules behind it as we did in HLC?) content we have made, how to share it, and then players can send characters to that campaign?

Someone called HL for players but that is not my experience. Sure, once players saw how much it helped, and the in play, spells used, and tracking ongoing effects, they like it. But they never went beyond a few books after a core ruleset. Most of the people I know who use it are GMs to help with encounters.

Good discussion. Thanks!
evildmguy is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
kaintheseeker

Old August 4th, 2019, 07:01 PM
My issue is this..HLO isn’t half as stable as Classic. I don’t like the buggy stability of it, the fact it took 2 minutes to select a feat. Offline mode would be nice and I get that this weekend is GenCon but I have had enough failures of HLO using it for Starfinder

I dislike that I have to buys licenses AND a subscription.. and the idea of having Shadowrun 6 on this buggy conditions

I got a something like 20 games and a hundred or so licensed products across pathfinder, 2 versions of CoC, Mutants and Masterminds, Shadowrun and so on. Having to buy them AND paying for access to product in a subscription.

I’m going to be a lot less spending on product if I have to subscribe as well.
kaintheseeker is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old August 4th, 2019, 07:15 PM
Yes to that as well.

I don't know if it's because this is launch weekend or what has happened but HLO has never been fun or stable to use.
  • Search only works for name of item, not text
  • No pop ups are modal and disappear if I miss a click
  • It's not fast. Clicking through my class skills and it locks it up
  • The print outs are still bad. I still don't see Spell DCs or spell attacks on any sheet.
  • I have had multiple crashes, reload of the web page, freeze ups, and general poor performance all week.

I have also seen some random misspellings but sadly forgot to note them to report later.

All in all, it's been a painful experience to use. I'm still using it but it's painful.
evildmguy is offline   #20 Reply With Quote