Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

HippyCraig

Old July 15th, 2016, 02:23 PM
How do you keep track of spell slots, is there something based on the class that would show the available spell slots at a specific level and let me track them during game play?
HippyCraig is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 15th, 2016, 02:31 PM
There is a tab that appears on the far right usuually.

What im not sure about is how to manage how many spells of each level you can learn as there is really only an overall restriction not by spell level.
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
HippyCraig

Old July 15th, 2016, 02:49 PM
so its just an overall count, that doesn't seem right? Also does a long rest reset them?
HippyCraig is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
HippyCraig

Old July 15th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Ok sorry I posted that too soon, I see that a long rest does reset the spells used, not sure if the new update that just came out but it does list all the spell slots you have and divides them by level. It even works correctly for a warlock
HippyCraig is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old July 19th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
There is a tab that appears on the far right usuually.

What im not sure about is how to manage how many spells of each level you can learn as there is really only an overall restriction not by spell level.
If you can prepare 9 spells, and can cast up to 3rd level spells, you could prepare 9 3rd level spells if you wanted (and had 9 different 3rd level spells in your spell book if you wanted. There are no rules say you AHVE to memorize 1st and 2nd level spells at all . . .

Not a great idea, but there it is.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old July 19th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergon View Post
If you can prepare 9 spells, and can cast up to 3rd level spells, you could prepare 9 3rd level spells if you wanted (and had 9 different 3rd level spells in your spell book if you wanted. There are no rules say you AHVE to memorize 1st and 2nd level spells at all . . .

Not a great idea, but there it is.
If that is true, what is the entry "spell slots per spell level" used for, that appears in the class descriptions?

As far as I understand it, what you say is true for warlocks only. And they rarely have nine spell slots.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old July 19th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
If that is true, what is the entry "spell slots per spell level" used for, that appears in the class descriptions?

As far as I understand it, what you say is true for warlocks only. And they rarely have nine spell slots.
"spell slots per spell level" refers to how many spells of each spell level you can cast. It does not refer to how many spells of each slot you can know.

Using my previous example, if you take all your spells known as 3rd levels, you wouldn;t be able to use you 1st or 2nd level "spell slots per spell level". Or you could prepare 1 x 1st and 1 x 2nd so you could use those slots and prepare the rest as 3rd level spells.

Example:
- spells prepare by a 5th level wizard with 18 intelligence.
1st - Shield (castable 4 times)
2nd - Misty Step (castable 3 times)
3rd, Counter spell, dispel magic, fireball, fly, haste, lightning bolt,remove curse (can cast any 2)

A little silly in my opinion, but I had a player do exactly this with a high elf bladesinger . . .

He did what he could to gather 3rd level wizard scrolls. By the way, his cantrips were blade ward, green flame blade, lightning lure, and gust.

As for warlocks, they can only cast 2,3, or 4 spells per hour with their slots. All those slots are cast at a level based on their warlock level.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote