Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kraupaul

Old August 31st, 2013, 05:42 AM
I got a late start, so I’ve only been working with the program for three days and I’ll say up from, I’m about as far from tech savvy as you can get. So far I’m EXTREMELY impressed. I’ve seen mention of folks building or considering some very large worlds, specifically Greyhawk. I’m working on Ptolus which is an incredible city campaign by Monte Cook. The main map has in excess of 300 detailed locations… before I start adding in my own. I can easily see dropping 500+ pins.

I currently have about 80 pins dropped on my main map, each of which is linked to a Location Topic. Yesterday I had a memory error crash but it has not repeated. My main map is loading at acceptable speeds when zoomed in showing only 25 or so pins but is freezing when I expand it out all the way. I’m considering breaking my map into regions of town but would prefer not to.

Any comments on what we might expect on the upper limits, specifically number of linked pins on a map, while retaining acceptable performance?
Kraupaul is offline   #1
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old August 31st, 2013, 07:48 PM
Well I would suspect that maps and other image documents will use more memory, especially verses text snippets, and the more tabs you've got open the more memory you'll be using.

If you've got other programs open that will take up RAM as well.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #2
Mystic Lemur

Old September 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM
Mine freezes when I zoom the map all the way out, and I only have maybe two dozen pins (but I blame it on my hardware). A workaround I found was to hit the button to hide the map pins before zooming all the way out (or in too far).

I'd be interested to know how those using large maps are handling them. Are you putting all your pins on one main map, or are you breaking things down? If breaking the maps down, are you doing it at the continent level? Regional or country level?
Mystic Lemur is offline   #3
Leonal

Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:30 AM
I'm curious about this too, but more so about image sizes.

My current world map is a JPG file of 6000*10000 pixels and 22mb. RW crashes due to an "out of memory" error when zoomed too far in (which isn't close to 100% zoom).

Can't imagine trying to add pins to it. ^^;
Leonal is offline   #4
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
This thread has some interesting info about large images.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #5