Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
I figured that one as much. It's the 30+ characters I already have statted... but with it turning into the mild warning, not so much a problem for me.
As long as you haven't saved the characters since 3.98 came out, I *think* they'll obey any new default you set the next time you load them. So if you set the default now, any old characters should pick it up.
Colen is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer View Post
I have a character with the Rank 12 Trip Power and the sheet is showing a DC of 22.

Pg 93 of U.P. states that if I hit my target, the target makes a STR or DEX check vs my Power Check.

In other words, vs the sum of d20+rank [and if I have Improved Trip (as either a Power Feat or a Character Feat), +4 (if tripping in melee) or +2 (if tripping at range) on top of that].

So shouldn't that DC be a star (to represent that it's variable) not a flat 22?
Hmm... wouldn't it mean that there shouldn't be a DC at all? Since all you do is roll (d20 + power rank), and your opponent rolls against that. The only fixed number involved is the power rank, which we already show on the sheet, so showing a DC isn't helpful?
Colen is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Hmm... wouldn't it mean that there shouldn't be a DC at all? Since all you do is roll (d20 + power rank), and your opponent rolls against that. The only fixed number involved is the power rank, which we already show on the sheet, so showing a DC isn't helpful?
No it's really not helping since it doesn't factor in at all. If you beat your target's DEF you've hit him & then it's a d20 roll + appropriate Ability Bonus vs the result of your Power Check.

I thought you were using a "star" to represent when the "number to beat" is variable, since that same sheet also shows this: (see attached jpeg) even though I'm not sure why it's not pulling the DC 25 that shows up with power description elsewhere on the sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the star result.JPG (6.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; July 22nd, 2010 at 09:34 AM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Send a message via MSN to atlarman Send a message via Yahoo to atlarman

Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
new question here...
Hey guys, doesnt the M&M game have a limit to power rank based on campain PL? same question w/ feats-or does it just assume that point cost and allotment take care of this automatically?(page ref w/ any awswer is most apreciated) yes i am aware that HL offers you the ability to customize these limits...I just wanted a refresher on what the game assumes....(when i hit game defaults...I swearr that no limit on power ranks or number of feats is selected....but im almost sure the game assumes some sort of limit on them)maybe ive just been crunching the numbers too long.
atlarman is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:54 AM
The only limit is on Save DC (Toughness or exotics). If the ranks would take you over PL (with adjustment for tradeoffs), you can't buy it even to sandbag. Otherwise, the sky's the limit. A Character with Speed 50, Super-Strength 25, and Teleport 25 is perfectly legal if your GM is fine with it.
Duggan is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Send a message via MSN to atlarman Send a message via Yahoo to atlarman

Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
ok thanks Duggan gee now dont feel quite as bad about my character who ended up w super senses 23! campagn 10(gm removed pp limits...but somehow, I still kept having it in my head power rank shouldnt exceed PL OR PL +5! gM S NOT SAYIMG ANYTHING but guess i somehow felt bad. haha guess i been crunching numbers too long!,

Last edited by atlarman; July 22nd, 2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Thanx to thanks....I guess this sort of thing bugs some.
atlarman is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarman View Post
new question here...
Hey guys, doesnt the M&M game have a limit to power rank based on campain PL? same question w/ feats-or does it just assume that point cost and allotment take care of this automatically?(page ref w/ any awswer is most apreciated) yes i am aware that HL offers you the ability to customize these limits...I just wanted a refresher on what the game assumes....(when i hit game defaults...I swearr that no limit on power ranks or number of feats is selected....but im almost sure the game assumes some sort of limit on them)maybe ive just been crunching the numbers too long.
Page 25 of M&M shows the maximum modifier to the Save DC a power can have. That "plus" is normally equal to the rank a power would be at but I'm sure things like Power Attack can throw off that direct one-to-one relationship.

Power Feats and Character Feats are to be watched by the GM to make sure folks don't get too silly with it. I believe there is more on this in the Mastermind's Manual but I am not as familiar with that book.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarman View Post
ok thanks Duggan gee now dont feel quite as bad about my character who ended up w super senses 23! campagn 10(gm removed pp limits...but somehow, I still kept having it in my head power rank shouldnt exceed PL OR PL +5! gM S NOT SAYIMG ANYTHING but guess i somehow felt bad. haha guess i been crunching numbers too long!,
Well the important part of Duggan's comment is "if the GM approves." lol I know in our group you can't have anything ranked in excess of the PL. We tried a House Rule allowing you to have PL+2 in one power that was your shtick but that got messy and caused some hard feelings.

In fact, I thought about showing our GM your earlier E-Mail about being in a game that didn't track Power Points just to see his head explode.

Anyway, the Super Senses is a good point. HL lumps them all together and the last "season" of games we didn't put the PL cap against that but this "season" we are to keep folks from going nuts by taking every sense, ranged, extended, acute, accurate & analyzing.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; July 22nd, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #78 Reply With Quote
Woodclaw

Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:37 AM
Another Container bug I met today

If I activate a container with some Enhaced trait inside the cost od the traits is added another time to the hero total cost. I met a similar effect with alternate forms, but only if I increase the rank of certain feats (like Evasion).
Woodclaw is offline   #79 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Woodclaw: Can you email me a hero that exhibits the problem with Alternate Forms? I'm going to release a new beta version that fixes this, but I'd like to make sure it's fixed before I do. (colen@wolflair.com)

Thanks!
Colen is offline   #80 Reply With Quote