Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

Necross

Old November 9th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Howdy folks

So, I just released a new wild west skirmish game called Blackwater Gulch (http://www.blackwatergulch.com. Long story short, I want to create army builder files for it, but I just can't get it to work. I think the techie parts are a little beyond me.

I tried opening up the data files for other games, like Warhammer 40k, and Mordheim (my game is a closer match to mordheim anyway) .. and editing those, and that didn't help either.

I built the definition file for the game, with the name, my contact info, and listed all of the stats, etc. Then, I need to make a data file to list the info for each type of gang member. My game shows up on the list, but when I try to start a new data file for it, the program crashes and I have no idea why. I think I have all the right info in it, and other data files for other games open just fine.

I did read through the documentation, and I think I'm just getting in a little over my head. Just can't figure it all out. So, I was wondering if there's anyone out there that would like to help me build the Army Builder files for my game? Unfortunately, I can't pay you, but I could hook you up with a printed rulebook and maybe some free minis when I finally get them done. I think I pretty much need to just start from scratch and go from there. Can anyone help? You can PM me here or reply, or just email me at info at blackwatergulch dot com.

Thanks
Necross is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Indie

Old November 9th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Howdy pardner,

Firstly, please don't get your hopes up. I'm not here to solve your problem, unfortunately.

But I would like to say how good your game looks. I've played a skirmish western before (Warhammer Historical - Legends of The Old West), and I loved it. I can see your game appealing to the same audience. If I ever find time to do anything other than work, I'll give it a go myself.

On the technical side of things, I've tried (over the last few evenings) to create a .def file, with little success. I hit a brick wall when I tried to add things in the Group tag. I think I might be getting somewhere, really slowly. I'm sure I'll work it out eventually. Then I'll try my hand at a full data file for a game. If I manage to work it out before you've done yours, I'll let you know! lol

But seriously, the very best of luck to you with the game.
Indie is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Garfunkel
Volunteer Data File Author

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Hello,

Welcome to the authoring community.

A small trick when you devellop files :
On AB devellop Menu you can activate datafile debugging for information on yours files while AB is launched.
For your issue, could you desribe the crash ?

To ease your file creation, you can compile your files and get some very useful error messages using Menu Devellop\Compile Files.. (And select your game system from the list.)
Would you need help for technical or if you want me to devellop some of the core, you can ask.

If every else fails, you can send me your files and I can investigate further if you want.
Hope that helps.

Garfunkel

Last edited by Garfunkel; November 10th, 2011 at 01:46 AM.
Garfunkel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
jlong05

Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old November 10th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Also. Not knowing the depth of army rules, You may want to review the LotR SBG files instead of the 40k files. The 40k files are VERY deep in the design and overall crazyness taht GW has for the rules. LotR SBG on the other hand are very straightforward. More inline with design elements that LotOW and LotHS use.

Good luck!

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Necross

Old December 5th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks, I'll try looking into the LOTR files. I haven't had a chance to go back to this in a while, been so busy with other stuff. I was looking at the Mordheim files too, but also couldn't figure out out based on them. I need a week or so to sit down and figure this all out

I think I can get it to work just specifying the stats and listing equipment, but one thing I'm not sure how to do is let you change your stats. Like, for example.. All stats (Strength, etc) start at 1. A henchman in the game has 50 XP, for every 5 points of XP you get 1 point to spend raising a stat, so a henchman has 10 points to spend. I'd like that to just be like a + or - button so you can assign the stat points easily, but how do I make that happen?

Then there's 6 different Professionals in the game, like classes.. and each one has 75 XP, and gets 1 bonus point to a given stat, and then 15 points to add raising them more.

Then the gang leader is a professional as well, but he has 100 xp, and 20 points to add.

And then there's another rule where at least 50% of your gang needs to be henchmen, not including the leader.

So, I think it's the stuff like that that's going to give me the most trouble.
Necross is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Garfunkel

Old December 12th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Hello,

For your XP system, here is what I recommend :
Considering you have a stat called CC in your game system :

On the .def File :
- Create an XP stat (Exactly following the same process than the others)
- Create an exclusion group called XP_limit with the following range : 0 @XP. The upper limit will follow the XP stat of the character.

On the data file :
- Create an option called 'Raise CC by one'. Add the following script as EVAL script :

unit.basestat[CC] +=selection/5

- Create a unit 'Henchmen'. Fill the XP stat with 50, and all others stats with the bases.
- link the option to the unit (Click new on the unit tab\option section)
- Use the following properties :
Textcost = " "
Max = "100"
Incr = "5"
Usage for XP_limit group = "1"

Quote:
<option id="XXTEST" name="Raise CC by one" abbrev="" category="Leader" priority="0" cost="0">
<evaluate>unit.basestat[CC] +=selection/5</evaluate>
</option>
Quote:
<link option="XXTEST" rangemax="100" rangeincr="5" index="0">
<exclref id="XP_limit"/>
</link>
Would you have several stats a henchmen could increase, just copy the option and duplicate the link, changing the name and the modified stat on the option EVAL script.

As you will use this load of options for several units, I recommend creating a Linkset (On the data file) to regroup all your stat modifiers options.

Hope that helps

Frédéric

Last edited by Garfunkel; December 12th, 2011 at 12:50 AM.
Garfunkel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Garfunkel

Old December 12th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Hello,

For the post not to be too long to read, I answer each part separately.

Quote:
Then there's 6 different Professionals in the game, like classes.. and each one has 75 XP, and gets 1 bonus point to a given stat, and then 15 points to add raising them more.
You can either create 6 different units (One for each professionnal) or a single unit called professionnal with options to select givien the type and the bonus point. Then set to 75 the XP stat.
- For the first solution, just duplicate the henchmen unit, change the name and XP stat and modify the stat the given professional has a bonus.

- For the second solution, create one option for each type (6) and use the following EVAL script :

unit.basestat[STAT_BONUS_POINT] +=1
unit.name = "Professional Type"

Create an Exclusion group on the .def file with the range 1 1. (PROF)
Create links between the unit and each option with Exclusion PROF usage set to "1" and textcost to " "

Regards,
Frédéric
Garfunkel is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Garfunkel

Old December 12th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Hello,

Quote:
Then the gang leader is a professional as well, but he has 100 xp, and 20 points to add.

And then there's another rule where at least 50% of your gang needs to be henchmen, not including the leader.
For the gang leader, duplicate the professional unit (The second solution is easyer to manage for the user, but more complicated for you...) Change name and XP stat to 100.

For the 50% rule, you only have to create a rule (.dat file, Rule Tab)

You will first need to identify the henchmen froml the professional/leader. => Create a group on the .def file with ID= "CharType" with the following tags
- hechmen
- profession
- leader
Assign each unit the corresponding tag

Your rule script will be
var val as number
val = tally[unit:CharType.henchmen] - tally[unit:CharType.proffession]
if (val>=0) then
@valid=1
endif

Please note that I assume you red the authoring kit documentation on the previous explanations. Would you need me to be more precise at some point, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Frédéric
Garfunkel is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Peanutt

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Necross - I'm a Kickstart member for Blackwater Gulch and am anxiously waiting for the minis. I had found this thread and in the process of making a .def and .dat file for the BG system.

What I am wondering is as to how you envisioned using the Army Builder application for BG. Would you have each base gang listed like the 'Bloodwolf Tribe' and the 'Clancy Gang' listed with the ability pick from the gang and mix and match from other pregenerated gangs?

If your still following this site and see this post please shed some light on your thoughts.
Peanutt is offline   #9 Reply With Quote