Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

goviwan

Send a message via Skype™ to goviwan

Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:43 AM
I can't seem to find a discussion for bugs to be reported in, so I'll post this here. Sorry in advance if someone has to move it.

So, here's the deal. When I create a contained topic using the option in the navigation pane, the topic never shows up in the tree. When I check the 'Governed Content' in the transition pane on the right, it shows up correctly as a contained topic and as having a container. When I create a topic (not contained) and then manually add a container in the transition pane, it shows up after clicking the save button.

Am I doing something incorrectly? Shouldn't both methods give the same results?

G
goviwan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goviwan View Post
I can't seem to find a discussion for bugs to be reported in, so I'll post this here. Sorry in advance if someone has to move it.

So, here's the deal. When I create a contained topic using the option in the navigation pane, the topic never shows up in the tree. When I check the 'Governed Content' in the transition pane on the right, it shows up correctly as a contained topic and as having a container. When I create a topic (not contained) and then manually add a container in the transition pane, it shows up after clicking the save button.

Am I doing something incorrectly? Shouldn't both methods give the same results?

G
Is it set to create the topic in the correct almanac?

If you are in one almanac and create a contained topic, sometimes the default settings are for the other almanac so it doesn't show up in the one you're in.

Does that make sense?

(Sorry I was going to post screenshots, but I just borked my Realm by installing the new version).

Last edited by MaxSupernova; October 2nd, 2014 at 10:59 AM.
MaxSupernova is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
goviwan

Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:59 AM
Under preferences, the only options to change are for 'Navigation view' and 'Player view.' Mine is currently set for 'By Simple Grouping.'

I don't see anywhere else to change a default location.

I just tried it again and you're right. It was saving them in the story almanac. WTH is that the default? I want to create my content in the world almanac and move stuff as needed. Especially if I am actually browsing the world almanac and create a contained topic there, it should actually create it there.
goviwan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goviwan View Post
I don't see anywhere else to change a default location.
In the "Create Contained Topic" dialog there is a box in the top left where you can pulldown to choose if it's a Story Topic, World Topic, Plot, Article or User Note.

It defaults to Story Topic, where it really should automatically change to the Almanac that you are in.

You should submit a feature request.

---

Edit: You can look in the Story Almanac for the topics that you created. You will see the container and the topic. When you move the topic to the other almanac the container will disappear (if it's now empty). It just gets created because there is a contained topic in that container in that almanac.

Last edited by MaxSupernova; October 2nd, 2014 at 12:05 PM.
MaxSupernova is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:11 PM
The last choice you picked is remembered. So once you pick World Topic the first time, it will always default to World thereafter.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The last choice you picked is remembered. So once you pick World Topic the first time, it will always default to World thereafter.
It would be nice if it changed to the almanac that you are in. If you select a topic and choose to create a contained topic, I think it's a reasonable assumption that that's where you want it created...
MaxSupernova is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:38 PM
I often choose where to put stuff intentionally, and I rely on the last-used location regularly when creating a batch of stuff. Sometimes I'm creating a batch of topics for the story, and sometimes it for the World. So it's not appropriate to always just put it in the World by default. Maybe for your personal usage preference, but not as a general rule for everyone.

That's why we just remember the last place. If you only use the World for new topics, then you set it once and never have to change it again.

Oh, and what if you're creating a plot? Should we only ever create World topics? That defeats the whole purpose.
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:57 PM
I can see that.

I like being able to choose (I often create things in the other almanacs too), but having it default to the one you're in, with the option to pull down and change it might be more user friendly, is what I'm getting at.

I've more than once been in the position that Goviwan is, looking through the almanacs to find where the thing I just created got put because I didn't pay attention to the almanac setting. That doesn't happen if the default is to create it right where you are so you can see it.

Either way, I'll learn, I just wanted to make the reasoning clear.
MaxSupernova is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
goviwan

Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:01 PM
[head going back and forth with interest]

...but I like both ideas...

However, nobody is asking for World Almanac to be the default (or to even be able to set the default). The feature request was really for having that option be set to whatever the context was. If I'm creating topics in World Almanac, then it would make sense to pre-select that option in the dialog box. The same for Story Almanac or any of the other areas that we work in.

Hopefully it doesn't sound like I'm bashing anything. So far I'm thrilled to see what it can do and where it's headed. I'm especially interested to see where the HL co-op is going to end up (whoops...I'm off topic).

Anyway, thanks for the assistance peoples! It's not so irritating now that I know what's under the hood a little more.

Last edited by goviwan; October 2nd, 2014 at 09:18 PM.
goviwan is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:32 PM
I think there are two different perspectives on this - and both are perfectly valid. On the one side, you have the expectation that it should always default to where you currently are unless specified otherwise. On the other side, you have the expectation that it should always go in the last place you specified unless that's changed. Both are reasonable views, so which one gets chosen?

Now we have to reconcile this against the way Realm Works behaves elsewhere. In general, Realm Works remembers the last thing you selected and restores that choice the next time. So, in the interest of overall behavior consistency across the product, it seems more appropriate to have RW work the same way in this regard as well. Hence the choice in how we implemented it.

Hope this explanation makes sense...
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote