Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Noven

Old August 31st, 2017, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I saw nothing disrespectful from LW? They got back from Gencon and were sick and didn't get stuff up, seriously? That's a real minor point to complain about.

Online is inevitable. This is the way everything is going. I really only go to one con a year and my cell works fine there. Even if it didn't it's not that big of a deal, just print a copy before you go to the con.

The online excites me, I am really looking forward to the potential collaboration points:

I cast <Buff Spell> and can apply it to all party members.
I am the DM and can see the characters current stats including all buffs in the tactical console.
Party loot tracking and sharing.
++ more I am sure I am not considering.
All the shared stuff only works if everyone has a licence for Hero Lab Online. That won't work if only half the party has the program because not everyone that plays uses the program.
Noven is offline   #51
IconoclasticScream

Old August 31st, 2017, 12:21 PM
Quote:
The online excites me, I am really looking forward to the potential collaboration points:

I cast <Buff Spell> and can apply it to all party members.
I am the DM and can see the characters current stats including all buffs in the tactical console.
Party loot tracking and sharing.
++ more I am sure I am not considering.
The mere possibility of that sort of thing makes the online model so enticing, and totally worth the price of admission.
IconoclasticScream is offline   #52
Medriev

Old August 31st, 2017, 12:56 PM
Quote:
I saw nothing disrespectful from LW? They got back from Gencon and were sick and didn't get stuff up, seriously? That's a real minor point to complain about.
I'm afraid I don't agree. If you're in business and make a major announcement about the product you're selling then you need plans to deal with customer questions. That includes contingency plans for issues like sick absence. I don't know how big LWD is but I cannot be alone in having paid hundreds of dollars for products which suggests several employees at least. If you announce a big change in the business model then you need to be prepared to deal with the queries that follow or you shouldn't be in business (and won't be for very long).

My issue is wider than that though. This thread includes a post very high up that says Starfinder will be available by the end of August. There is no other way to read that post and pre-Gen Con that had to mean in HLC. To post a clarification weeks later is very poor.

Ultimately, every customer has to make a decision on whether the product is worth it when the new model is rolled out. I suspect I will decide it isn't.
Medriev is offline   #53
daplunk

Old August 31st, 2017, 12:56 PM
Think about the market they will be able to open up to also. Right now Hero Lab is not useful for the emerging market in the rpg industry. There are ALOT of people playing over the internet. There are people playing around a table with a few member playing from the other side of the country.

You make Hero Lab work over the network and you instantly open up the tool to that market. I suspect this move will make for quite a few new members of our community. I'm sure it will result in some leaving too. But I'd wager the positives will out weight the negatives for LWD.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #54
EightBitz

Old August 31st, 2017, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Maybe a couple are, most are not. I mean.. backups and hacks, do you require all companies you interact online with to tell you exactly what they do for these things?
Yes. How else would I fairly judge whether or not I want to do business with them?

If I don't know and can't find the answers, I assume the worst and act accordingly.
EightBitz is offline   #55
Toblakai

Old August 31st, 2017, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Yes. How else would I fairly judge whether or not I want to do business with them?

If I don't know and can't find the answers, I assume the worst and act accordingly.
So what are Lone Wolfs hacking and backup policy regarding HeroLab purchases?

Could be here, but I haven't seen it.
Toblakai is offline   #56
Toblakai

Old August 31st, 2017, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noven View Post
All the shared stuff only works if everyone has a licence for Hero Lab Online. That won't work if only half the party has the program because not everyone that plays uses the program.
Yep I agree, I am currently a part of about 7 ongoing adventure paths, of the 7 only there are a mix of about 10 people playing. Of those ten only 1 doesn't own Hero Lab (he only plays in 1 of the APs). Of the remaining there is probably only 1 person maybe 2 that probably won't subscribe, I plan on buying them the first year as a gift.

I have an extra tablet and license that the one holdout can use, and he's tried it, so if I can get him to use it I'm all good in all my games.

These features are obviously useless for PFS/SFS since it is a random group of people playing and not a steady group.
Toblakai is offline   #57
EightBitz

Old August 31st, 2017, 03:51 PM
Quote:
So what are Lone Wolfs hacking and backup policy regarding HeroLab purchases?

Could be here, but I haven't seen it.
Well right now, it doesn't matter to me so much, because I have everything stored locally. All my game systems are on local storage. All my data packages are on local storage. All my profiles are on local storage.

If they suffer a data loss, I can keep going as if nothing happened.
EightBitz is offline   #58
Toblakai

Old August 31st, 2017, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Well right now, it doesn't matter to me so much, because I have everything stored locally. All my game systems are on local storage. All my data packages are on local storage. All my profiles are on local storage.

If they suffer a data loss, I can keep going as if nothing happened.
Until you need to switch computers or you upgrade your PC/windows and need to renew your license.

But you said you don't deal with a company that doesn't have a policy for hacking and backup, but you have Herolab, so you obviously break that rule.

So it seems you trust LWD here, so there is no point in not trusting them for HLO.
Toblakai is offline   #59
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 31st, 2017, 06:13 PM
I won't be dropping money on Hero Lab online, I don't have internet access where I run my games, so its not worth the added expense. I can take my laptop and printer with me, print the necessary sheets and I'm good. If I need internet access I'd have to print everything at home and hopefully not forget to bring the printouts when I drag the books with me. Half the time my home internet doesn't work well either.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #60
Closed Thread