Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

plays2many_rps

Old March 6th, 2014, 02:12 AM
I had an issue with a crash/error when I first launched the new Beta, which I used my snipping tool to make a .JPG of & send in.

Other than that I have encountered what I consider to be an issue...
All the EB seems to do is create a new user portfolio with whichever groups of monsters/NPCs I have selected. This leaves me with no clear way to turn them into an "encounter" without importing/merging with the portfolios for the PCs. Similarly if the PCs move from one encounter to the next quickly; it leaves me either having to take the time to rebuild them into the next encounter, or to take a lot of space duplicating the PCs in multiple encounters.
plays2many_rps is offline   #41
frumple

Old March 6th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Hi frumple, does this fit your needs for setting a difficulty for the encounter?

Michelle,

I guess what I am looking for is the option to set what my player's APL is, and then be able to select what type of encounter it is (easy, average [have average as default], etc.) and that give the CR. Now we set the CR and it gives us a range of APLs and what type of encounter it is from them.

Given that a party's APL doesn't change that often, it would be a more efficient way to set the CR.

If this is going to be to much of a hassle, just keep it in mind for a future release.

Thoughts?

frumple
frumple is offline   #42
CorzatTheGray

Old March 6th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plays2many_rps View Post
I had an issue with a crash/error when I first launched the new Beta, which I used my snipping tool to make a .JPG of & send in.

Other than that I have encountered what I consider to be an issue...
All the EB seems to do is create a new user portfolio with whichever groups of monsters/NPCs I have selected. This leaves me with no clear way to turn them into an "encounter" without importing/merging with the portfolios for the PCs. Similarly if the PCs move from one encounter to the next quickly; it leaves me either having to take the time to rebuild them into the next encounter, or to take a lot of space duplicating the PCs in multiple encounters.
You can quickly import PC's from the portfolio/encounter they were last in by using this:

Portfolio->Import Hero From Portfolio...

This allows you to only import the PCs from the saved portfolio. So save the encounter/portfolio they are leaving, open new encounter portfolio and then import them with the current stats that they were last saved with. Takes just a few clicks of the mouse.

Currently Playing: Pathfinder - Skull & Shackles AP
Current Character: Legendary Gunslinger 11
Currently DMing: D&D 5E - AAW Games A-Series
CorzatTheGray is offline   #43
Farling

Old March 6th, 2014, 10:31 AM
To speed up scrolling through the long list of creatures, it would be nice if there was a search option to set the maximum CR that will appear in the list.
(I don't need the CR10-20 when working on encounters for a 5th level party.)
Farling is offline   #44
mezme

Old March 6th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Hi mezme, for the time being, one way to get around this is to import the hero as an enemy, apply the template you want, reopen the encounter builder, choose a target CR, and check "include enemies in the portfolio in the total CR."
Tried this, I would prefer applying the templates as i select creatures but that does the job. That feature is great for "what can I add to boos the CR by 2" situations.
mezme is offline   #45
Michele
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 6th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golkiwu View Post
It would be nice to either have a way to select max HP for the entirety of the selected creatures in the Encounter, or have the Character Configuration options affect all creatures generated with the builder.
Hi Golkiwu, that is an interesting suggestion! For the time being if there is a particular monster you use frequently, you can edit the stock version to have max HP, close and reopen the encounter builder, and select that modified creature from the encounter builder.
Michele is offline   #46
Michele
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 6th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frumple View Post
I guess what I am looking for is the option to set what my player's APL is, and then be able to select what type of encounter it is (easy, average [have average as default], etc.) and that give the CR.
Hi frumple,
Thanks for the suggestion! We are looking into what the most common workflow is for selecting an appropriate CR.
Michele is offline   #47
Don Keebals

Old March 6th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Advanced searching (CR, terrain, race, class, frequency) is the first thing I'd like to see. Then the ability to apply templates. Complete stats and accurate info on the things to choose from would help test this better. I've run across one thing with no info at all and no matter the level of Pathfinder iconic, I always get the 1st level build.

Last edited by Don Keebals; March 6th, 2014 at 03:09 PM.
Don Keebals is offline   #48
Silveras

Old March 6th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I'm on a Windows 7 desktop. I have a tablet that's Windows 8.1 (Surface Pro), which I will have to try tomorrow. That has run previous versions of HeroLab without issue.
Looks the same for me on Windows 8.1.
Silveras is offline   #49
Manic Modron

Old March 6th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Hi frumple,
Thanks for the suggestion! We are looking into what the most common workflow is for selecting an appropriate CR.
Personally, I don't mind the way you have it, but I would like Frumple's way more.

Set APL, set encounter difficulty, find monsters!
Manic Modron is offline   #50
Closed Thread