Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Farling

Old August 6th, 2020, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematical Pi View Post
I have a question. I'm currently building a excel CSV file that wil randomly generate all kinds of intel for towns/cities. I want to take it a step further and have it also generate one or more item shops or other buildings in these towns.

I know I can use the import tool to load up my towns, but is there a way to have it create "sub-topics" at the same time?

for example if my csv looks like this:
Town name, some town data; Shop name; shop data

Could I get:

Topic: Town name (with the town data in correct snippets)
-- Subtopic Shop name (with the shop data in the correct snippets)
You can create a parent/child structure, but my tool doesn't allow the parents to have any other data associated with them.

At the bottom of the structure section there is a button "add parent". That is where you can choose one of the columns in your data to use as the name of a parent topic.
All rows of your data with the same name in the parent topic column will be made children of that single parent.

Note that you can also create a hierarchy of parents in that same area.

Also note that you need to be careful to choose a category type for the parents that is from the same type (Topics for World Almanac, or Articles for Mechanics Reference) as the category type your are creating all your topics/articles from. My tool has no way to know which category types are for the world almanac and which are for the mechanics reference.

Within my tool I haven't given any ability to add information to the parent topics other than just the name/prefix/suffix for the topic.

---

As an alternative, I think that the tool allows you to have a single import file contain more than one category of topics, so if you define your town category fields and your shop category fields (both without parents), then you will end up with all the data being imported in one go.

If you were to use the town name of the shop as a prefix, then it would help you sort them for manually dragging once they are in RW (holding shift or ctrl, I don't remember which, while dragging topics within RW will reassign parentage without a popup appearing each time).

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Farling; August 6th, 2020 at 05:14 AM.
Farling is offline   #561 Reply With Quote
mathematical Pi

Old August 6th, 2020, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
You can create a parent/child structure, but my tool doesn't allow the parents to have any other data associated with them.

At the bottom of the structure section there is a button "add parent". That is where you can choose one of the columns in your data to use as the name of a parent topic.
All rows of your data with the same name in the parent topic column will be made children of that single parent.

Note that you can also create a hierarchy of parents in that same area.

Also note that you need to be careful to choose a category type for the parents that is from the same type (Topics for World Almanac, or Articles for Mechanics Reference) as the category type your are creating all your topics/articles from. My tool has no way to know which category types are for the world almanac and which are for the mechanics reference.

Within my tool I haven't given any ability to add information to the parent topics other than just the name/prefix/suffix for the topic.

---

As an alternative, I think that the tool allows you to have a single import file contain more than one category of topics, so if you define your town category fields and your shop category fields (both without parents), then you will end up with all the data being imported in one go.

If you were to use the town name of the shop as a prefix, then it would help you sort them for manually dragging once they are in RW (holding shift or ctrl, I don't remember which, while dragging topics within RW will reassign parentage without a popup appearing each time).
So with the alternative:

I create my CSV with columns:

Town; Town data; Scribe; Scribe data; Armorer; Armorer data,...
I create a structure file with added categories Shop Scribe, Shop Armorer,....

I import the data and when filling in the shop categories I use the town names as prefix so RW will sort the town and its shops together. Then all I need to do after is drag them on top of the town?

Added question: Can I import maps with the tool? like if I put town maps into the excel?
mathematical Pi is offline   #562 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 9th, 2020, 06:43 AM
You can import images using the tool. I think it only works if the cell contains the PATH of the file containing the image, rather than directly storing the image inside the excel spreadsheet.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Farling is offline   #563 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old August 12th, 2020, 02:13 PM
I imported already pictures using the full path and that worked for me !

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #564 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old October 28th, 2020, 03:14 PM
Hi all,

I am at a loss.. I've been away from RW for a while and just trying to setup a campaign for the kids to run....

So i downloaded the latest importer
Got the beta .255 version
created my structure file
created my import file

when I put the bits into the importer and hit generate (it litterally flashes) and I can see a file created with data in it.

but when Import that file - it does nothing.....I thought maybe its my columns... so I created one with just location names and same thing... am I missing a step here?

*EDIT - Never mind... I am an idiot....I didnt notice that it wasnt on world almanac... *smacks head on wall!"

Last edited by Happydevil43; October 28th, 2020 at 03:17 PM.
Happydevil43 is offline   #565 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 29th, 2020, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydevil43 View Post
*EDIT - Never mind... I am an idiot....I didnt notice that it wasnt on world almanac... *smacks head on wall!"
Lol - I'm happy the tool is still working :-)

Farling

Farling is offline   #566 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old October 29th, 2020, 03:22 PM
Quote:
oh it works.... it took me over an hour to delete all the duplicate location entries... because muggins here overwrote the backups and sync'd to the server before his miraculous discovery....
Happydevil43 is offline   #567 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old June 6th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Quote:
The tool works fine in converting the file for import but, Realm Works crashes when I try importing the file.

EDIT: Sorry for the duplicate posts but for some reason I kept getting an error when trying to post so I had to reload the page and try to repost it again, but nothing was showing up. Apparently I am unable to delete the duplicate posts...

Note I am on version 256 for RW.

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).

Last edited by Madmaxneo; June 6th, 2021 at 05:14 PM.
Madmaxneo is offline   #568 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old June 6th, 2021, 01:52 PM
Apologies for the duplicate post

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.

Last edited by Madmaxneo; June 6th, 2021 at 05:13 PM.
Madmaxneo is offline   #569 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old June 6th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Quote:
The tool works in creating the file for import but, RW crashes at about 75% when importing the file. I am on version 256 of RW.

EDIT: Sorry for the duplicate posts but for some reason I kept getting an error when trying to post so I had to reload the page and try to repost it again, but nothing was showing up. Apparently I am unable to delete the duplicate posts...

Last edited by Madmaxneo; June 6th, 2021 at 05:13 PM.
Madmaxneo is offline   #570 Reply With Quote