Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Janrith

Old March 22nd, 2019, 10:07 PM
Downloaded 2.4.2.0 and tested. Loading the project file is working now EXCEPT:

1. Literal text in a Parent's Name and Suffix is not preserved when reloading.
2. Literal text in File Details/Credits field is not preserved when reloading.

The big meat in mapping worksheet columns to category fields is working WOOT!

Feature Request:
Any chance we can get the project filename appended to the app title on load? Having the * appended to the name when there are unsaved changes would be an added bonus .

It would help to remember what file you are working in w/o having to open the Save Project As... dialog.

Thanks again for the awesome tool!

-=Janrith
Janrith is offline   #511 Reply With Quote
Janrith

Old March 22nd, 2019, 10:23 PM
When you select Load Data, the tool appears to cache the data in memory and use that cache rather than re-reading the worksheet to build the rwexport file.

This means, if you subsequently update your source file (XLSX confirmed, probably the CSV will work the same), you need to select Load Data in order to refresh this cache or your updates won't make it to the rwexport file.

This is actually a good thing, since changing your column definition out from under your project definition could have alignment issues, depending on how the columns are being read from the file.

Haven't tested whether this cache is cleared when selecting a new structure definition. If the cache is maintained, it might be another argument for a New Project... option.

I'll test caching of CSV data and what happens when the structure is changed tomorrow... it's getting late.

Later.

-=Janrith
Janrith is offline   #512 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 22nd, 2019, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janrith View Post
When you select Load Data, the tool appears to cache the data in memory and use that cache rather than re-reading the worksheet to build the rwexport file.

This means, if you subsequently update your source file (XLSX confirmed, probably the CSV will work the same), you need to select Load Data in order to refresh this cache or your updates won't make it to the rwexport file.

This is actually a good thing, since changing your column definition out from under your project definition could have alignment issues, depending on how the columns are being read from the file.

Haven't tested whether this cache is cleared when selecting a new structure definition. If the cache is maintained, it might be another argument for a New Project... option.

I'll test caching of CSV data and what happens when the structure is changed tomorrow... it's getting late.

Later.

-=Janrith
Hi,

Yes, when you select "Load Data" then it is read into memory and the file can be changed without changing the loaded data.

When you load a saved project, both the data file and the structure file are read from disk again - so any changes you've made in the CSV or XLSX file will be read in at that point.

The storage of the loaded data and the loaded structure are totally separate, so you can load a new structure file and use the already loaded data with that new file, or vice versa.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #513 Reply With Quote
Janrith

Old March 23rd, 2019, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janrith View Post
Downloaded 2.4.2.0 and tested. Loading the project file is working now EXCEPT:

1. Literal text in a Parent's Name and Suffix is not preserved when reloading.
2. Literal text in File Details/Credits field is not preserved when reloading.

The big meat in mapping worksheet columns to category fields is working WOOT!

Feature Request:
Any chance we can get the project filename appended to the app title on load? Having the * appended to the name when there are unsaved changes would be an added bonus .

It would help to remember what file you are working in w/o having to open the Save Project As... dialog.

Thanks again for the awesome tool!

-=Janrith
Addendum to #2 above. It looks like the Credits are actually still in the project file, the UI just keeps wiping out the field.

Repro:
(assumes a loaded project file with a Credit value populated)

a. Open File Details.
b. Enter data into the Credits field; click OK.
c. Click File Details. Credits is empty.
d. Click Cancel to avoid saving the empty field.
e. In the cmd line navigate to export directory
f. findstr /I Janrith "Test Import 34.rwexport"

result:

<credits>Janrith</credits>

Thanks again.

-=Janrith
Janrith is offline   #514 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 23rd, 2019, 02:23 AM
Version 2.5 is available

When a project has been saved or loaded, the name of the project is displayed in the window title (requested in http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....&postcount=511). (No star appears to indicate that the project has been modified.)

Fixes a bug where "fixed text" in a field definition was not being displayed after changing categories or loading a saved project (repoted in http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....&postcount=511)

Fixes a bug where the credit box in the File Details windows was being populated with the Requirements text when the window was opened. (reported in http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....&postcount=514)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Last edited by Farling; March 23rd, 2019 at 02:26 AM.
Farling is offline   #515 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 23rd, 2019, 03:24 AM
Version 2.6 is available

A "*" is put in the window title bar if modifications have been made since the last load/save of a project.

On quitting the application, a prompt is displayed if a project has not been saved since the last change.

Farling

Farling is offline   #516 Reply With Quote
Janrith

Old March 23rd, 2019, 05:11 PM
Downloaded 2.6.0.0.

Literal text parent loading verified.
Credits field in File Details loading verified.

* (unsaved flag) working for target fields on main window (article, parent, true names, relationships). Does not yet apply to checkboxes or dropdowns (ether standard ones or the "tool icon" ones), or the File Details modal dialog. Also can't get it to prompt me to save my changes when moving to a different file once I've triggered the *.

I don't want to side track you on your feature priorities; just wanted to fill you in on my observations.

Thanks again.

-=Janrith.
Janrith is offline   #517 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old April 22nd, 2019, 05:08 PM
This CSV tool looks like it may do the job I need it to do. But I'm not sure it will work.

I'd like to transfer pertinent character and NPC data into Realm Works from a character sheet (.xls spreadsheet).

Please note that I am using the HARP system and it is not in HeroLab.

I'd prefer if it was possible to just name certain cells withing the spreadsheet and the CSV tool simply import those specific cell values into specific snippets within RW.

My questions:
1. Does the CSV tool require one to have columns of data with headers or is it possible to pull only specific cell data from a single cell in a ".xls" spreadsheet (or from multiple singular cells)?
2. Do I still need to "save as" the ".xls" spreadsheet into a CSV file so this tool can read the info or does the CSV tool read .xls data also?
3. Is it possible to overwrite data when a character or NPC increases in level? Meaning can I just import the same character over and over again or would I need to delete the RW snippets/character entry every time someone goes up a level?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #518 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 22nd, 2019, 06:28 PM
My questions:
1. Does the CSV tool require one to have columns of data with headers or is it possible to pull only specific cell data from a single cell in a ".xls" spreadsheet (or from multiple singular cells)?
It works on a table. All columns must have a header. Think of it as one column per snippet. Each line in that table would align with a different topic.
2. Do I still need to "save as" the ".xls" spreadsheet into a CSV file so this tool can read the info or does the CSV tool read .xls data also?
You can save as XLSX or CSV
3. Is it possible to overwrite data when a character or NPC increases in level? Meaning can I just import the same character over and over again or would I need to delete the RW snippets/character entry every time someone goes up a level?
No this will not work as the tool does not save unique UUID's for future use. It creates a new one for each snippet during the import process.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #519 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old April 22nd, 2019, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
My questions:
It works on a table. All columns must have a header. Think of it as one column per snippet. Each line in that table would align with a different topic.
You can save as XLSX or CSV
No this will not work as the tool does not save unique UUID's for future use. It creates a new one for each snippet during the import process.
Thanks for the reply and explanation.

For player characters I would have to delete their snippets then do the export/import thing each time they go up a level.

For the table requirement I can create a spreadsheet that can gather all the pertinent data from each of the character sheets so that it is easily formatted into a table for the CSV tool. It adds extra work to getting it all straightened out for the game, but I'll get it done eventually.

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #520 Reply With Quote