Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Acenoid

Old November 6th, 2019, 02:38 PM
So, but if we just update the version umber it still seems to work right? (Ok, who knows what consequences this would have... maybe I should try this on a fresh realm)...

Your import tool is really great, it would be very disappointing if it can no longer be properly used, just because the most recent update of RW (and presumedly the final one for the foreseeable future) was not done tested properly...

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #531 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 9th, 2019, 01:03 AM
Version 2.8 is available

This version has a new entry in the Options menu.
When selected, it will force the format_version attribute in the generated XML file to be set to 3.

This is a work-around for what appears to be a bug in Realm Works version 254 whereby it would generate export files with a format_version of 4, but can only read import files with a format_version of 3 or earlier.

The option is NOT selected by default.

Existing saved projects should still load, and when you next save the project the current state of the new menu option will be saved as part of that project.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #532 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old November 9th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the update, Farling!

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #533 Reply With Quote
Janrith

Old December 18th, 2019, 07:07 PM
Heya Farling!

The tool's been very helpful in getting export files setup.

I just discovered an issue in v2.8.0.0, but I'm unsure if it's due to saving or opening a project file.

I started setting up imports with multiple names in a series of projects, but when I reload them, the additional names setup in the projects do not appear.

I tried checking one of the project files in a text editor to see if I could do some troubleshooting, but they appear to be saved as UTF-32 BE and I can't find an editor to read that format correctly.

As a result, I can't tell if the additional names are actually in the project file and just being missed when being read in, or if they aren't being saved in the first place.

It should be an easy repro:

Just hit the +Name button and save the project, close the tool, then reload it and open the project file.

The workaround is to just to re-add your additional names before generating the export file, as that definitely still works. In my case, I've got 35 projects, so having the alternate names preserved would save a bit of time.

At any rate, I thought you'd want to know.

Take care and keep up the good work!

Later

-=Janrith
Janrith is offline   #534 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 18th, 2019, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janrith View Post
Heya Farling!

The tool's been very helpful in getting export files setup.

I just discovered an issue in v2.8.0.0, but I'm unsure if it's due to saving or opening a project file.

I started setting up imports with multiple names in a series of projects, but when I reload them, the additional names setup in the projects do not appear.

I tried checking one of the project files in a text editor to see if I could do some troubleshooting, but they appear to be saved as UTF-32 BE and I can't find an editor to read that format correctly.

As a result, I can't tell if the additional names are actually in the project file and just being missed when being read in, or if they aren't being saved in the first place.

It should be an easy repro:

Just hit the +Name button and save the project, close the tool, then reload it and open the project file.

The workaround is to just to re-add your additional names before generating the export file, as that definitely still works. In my case, I've got 35 projects, so having the alternate names preserved would save a bit of time.

At any rate, I thought you'd want to know.

Take care and keep up the good work!

Later

-=Janrith
Thanks for the bug report.
I suspect it is just a case of those alternative names not being saved properly.

I'll have a look after the weekend (since my weeks are no longer occupied with a full-time job).

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Farling is offline   #535 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 19th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Version 2.9 is now available

The application now saves any name aliases that you've configured as part of a saved project.

The application from now on should also be able to load projects saved with older versions of the tool. (The earliest format now supported is projects saved with 2.7.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janrith View Post
Hi Janrith,

I do apologise that I didn't wait until after the weekend before fixing your bug. I hope you won't hold my poor time estimates against me ;-)

Farling

Farling is offline   #536 Reply With Quote
Janrith

Old December 21st, 2019, 08:16 PM
Dude!

No apologies needed man, you built a cool tool on your own time for the community. I just hope you don't think the bug reports are a dig on the app.

I'll check it out.

-=Janrith
Janrith is offline   #537 Reply With Quote
Janrith

Old December 21st, 2019, 08:34 PM
Update on v2.9.0.0:

<error message deleted/>

Never mind... error on my side...

testing...

WOOT!

Thanks man!

-=Janrith

Last edited by Janrith; December 21st, 2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Giving the IMG link.
Janrith is offline   #538 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 23rd, 2020, 05:09 AM
V2.11 is available

A simple addition to the installer allows the tool to be launched automatically from a .csv2rw project file.

It also adds basic support for JSON and YAML data files. The complex hierarchy is reduced to a simple overall set of column names, using "/" to separate each step of the hierarchy that contains each specific data value.

Please be cautious about using the multiple-snippet capabilities, since it might be that each entry in the source array might have a different number of children, and thus the multiple-snippet capability won't work properly. The work-around would be to set up your structure file to have all possible snippets predefined, and then map each entry individually.

(Note: Eventually I would like the tool to present the proper tree hierarchy that can be defined in JSON and YAML files, to make the multi-section/snippet functionality better.)

Farling

Last edited by Farling; January 23rd, 2020 at 05:32 AM. Reason: scrapped v2.10
Farling is offline   #539 Reply With Quote
Cirrob

Old March 16th, 2020, 02:20 PM
Brand new user, new to the forums etc. I have recently purchased realmworks. Yeah I know its been shelved, but the information is that they will unchain it if things go south. So, given what it provides, versus the cost, versus the risk etc, this wasnt that big of a decision to make.

With all that said, I was trying to use this tool in a realm I am creating. In that realm I am recreating, or entering, second edition DND game mechanics. In doing so, I have duplicated each category so I can modify it for my needs while inactivating the original categories.

With that said, when I try to follow the steps for your tool and import the final product your tool produces from my spreadsheets (in this case, a weapons list), it creates duplicate categories in realmworks (manage>categories etc). For example, Instead of just one category called "Mundane weapons," I have now have Mundane weapons and "Mundane weapons 01"

This is across the board for all my previously duplicated categories. Is there anyway to stop that?
Cirrob is offline   #540 Reply With Quote