Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Toblakai

Old April 14th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minous View Post
Two other issues, if the licensing server dies, existing installs dont suddenly stop working, and offline software isnt subject to a host of outside issues (server maintenance, ISP issues, or general wifi/network issues). Having an offline option means that I can play at GenCon. Lets see HLO work at GenCon 2018 (not trying to insult LW, just a fact). Having software as a service (ie subscription) is an obnoxious approach. I dont want to pay monthly for something, because odds are in the long term I will be paying 2 or 3 times more for the same software if I payed up front.
How many times a year do you go to Gencon?

I personally have never gone (this year will be my first time). I go to one other convention yearly, Wifi access and cell phone access there are fine.

I rented a cabin in the middle of the frikin mountains.. guest what? It had wifi (decent too). I can't remember the last time I gamed and didn't have access to the internet.

Since subscription models are so obnoxious to you, I suspect you have NO other subscriptions for anything? $25/year is nothing, especially for the benefits it will have.
Toblakai is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 14th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhrei View Post
And when they do, some enterprising individual will hack the code and remove the requirement for a license. It's not very difficult...
I suspect some of the complainers about HLO are people getting pirated copies of HLC.

Quote:
Which is undoubtedly one of the motivating factors for moving to a monthly subscription plan. Once you no longer have the program or data stored on your own device, they can control it and do whatever they want with it at any time.
I don't believe that LWD is a malicious company. WoTC definitely is a company like that, but LWD seems to be a pretty decent company (other than the major flaw that they can't seem to hit RW releases on time) and one that is in it for the gamers.
Toblakai is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old April 14th, 2018, 12:13 PM
I hit 4-6 cons a year. Most have spotty wifi at best. GenCon has nothing at the tables. I do keep my subscriptions to a minimum. The ones that I do have I pay on an annual cycle. LW can confirm this, I am a paying user (I have all paizo sources except the AP stuff) so it's not just the freeloaders complaining. Please note that I am not assuming LW would intentionally cause issues, but rather I was highlighting the risks of SaS.
Minous is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 14th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minous View Post
I hit 4-6 cons a year. Most have spotty wifi at best. GenCon has nothing at the tables. I do keep my subscriptions to a minimum. The ones that I do have I pay on an annual cycle. LW can confirm this, I am a paying user (I have all paizo sources except the AP stuff) so it's not just the freeloaders complaining. Please note that I am not assuming LW would intentionally cause issues, but rather I was highlighting the risks of SaS.
I really don't like PFS that much so I don't go out of my way for cons, I find that all the PFS adventures are pretty much the same so I get bored real fast. I may go to Paizocon this year (it's only 5 miles from my house) but we'll see.

I also don't think LWD will be making a profit on $25/yr. I can't see how someone can avoid subscriptions, Cable tv, music service, netflix, hulu, gym, hbo, Paizo subscriptions..
Toblakai is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
Dwayne

Old April 14th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Welcome to the 20th century!

Point 3 is also true of HLC, they can shut down the license server anytime..
I hate to tell you this but it is the 21st century. You must have lost 100 years of your life somewhere.
Dwayne is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 14th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
I hate to tell you this but it is the 21st century. You must have lost 100 years of your life somewhere.
It is not I that lost 100 years... it is the person I quoted who is still stuck in the 20th century.
Toblakai is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old April 14th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhrei View Post
(I had written a couple paragraphs about how free software with subscriptions for updates and a "features-for-hire" service are the only sustainable model in the long term because it's the only one that puts the interest of customers first, but it was off topic so I removed it.)
This whole thread has gone way off topic!
Discussion of HLO, subscriptions, wifi etc, are more appropriate in the Discussion or HLO forum.
Does anyone have any actual detail about PF 2.0 at this stage?

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 14th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
This whole thread has gone way off topic!
Discussion of HLO, subscriptions, wifi etc, are more appropriate in the Discussion or HLO forum.
Does anyone have any actual detail about PF 2.0 at this stage?
Go to the Paizo site, they have a lot of previews for it. It's way to early for LWD to start working on it. Come August the playtest will be out, and maybe that will be enough to start the base framework, but I suspect they wait a bit longer than that and try to get a pre-release of the final rules.
Toblakai is offline   #68 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old April 14th, 2018, 08:19 PM
I suspect that if you prefer a non-online and non-subscription model, Hero Lab classic will be there for you.

A lot of us will go for both versions.
No one is forced to use either model.
Ualaa is offline   #69 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 14th, 2018, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
No one is forced to use either model.
If you play Starfinder than you are forced to use HLO as its the only option. I honestly expect that if you plan to play PF2 that HLO will also be the only option. Happy if I am wrong but I think people should prepare for that answer in 2019.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #70 Reply With Quote