Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
Imagine elves (the type that lives for ever (or close enough not to make any difference)) - why should they even bother having calendars where the largest lump of time is one measly year?
Elves would still want to track when to plant crops and do other seasonal activities so having an annual calendar even if they didn't track a year count would make sense.

But they might certainly latch onto a more infrequent cyclic event for an even longer measurement of the passage of time. The precession of the equinoxes and the other Milankovitch cycles could all be noticed and used to define an "epoch."

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 6th, 2017, 08:03 PM
So recently I started watching the new Voltron remake on netflix, and your comment about long lived elves having different time measurements made me think of a running gag from that show related to just such a difference. At one point they break out timepieces and compare ticks to seconds. It's a funnier gag than it seems. Those wacky aliens!
Aaron is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
mazzy

Old February 7th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
So recently I started watching the new Voltron remake on netflix, and your comment about long lived elves having different time measurements made me think of a running gag from that show related to just such a difference. At one point they break out timepieces and compare ticks to seconds. It's a funnier gag than it seems. Those wacky aliens!
ROFLMAO!! Thank you for sharing and giving us a chuckle
mazzy is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Kliqueman

Old May 7th, 2017, 04:09 PM
My calendar is pretty simple. 300 days in the year, 10 months, 30 days in a month. Full moon is on the 29th, 30th, and 1st of months, with a blood moon during the 8th-9th month .
Kliqueman is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old May 8th, 2017, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliqueman View Post
My calendar is pretty simple. 300 days in the year, 10 months, 30 days in a month. Full moon is on the 29th, 30th, and 1st of months, with a blood moon during the 8th-9th month .
So, curious: how does that impact game play?
Do you have different night lighting on full or near full moons compared to empty or near empty?
Are there any magical differences through the cycle?
Do you have religious events or festivals or fairs scheduled and do they impact game play?
the_redbeard is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old June 7th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Haven't been on the forums in over a year due to various reasons but still using RW, still looking forward to calendars, content market and other goodies.

Pertinent to discussion in the primary thread, I tried installing Weather Master to Windows 10 about 6 months back. Ugh, what a mess. (WeatherMaster was the EndAllBeAll of calendar programs with support for other bodies like moons but was for XP and you now need registry hacks to keep it going). Probably easier to install an XP VM in Windows10. Course MS took that default feature out of Windows too

Anyhow, fortunately the calendar isn't a huge part of my game right now save for tracking time. I didn't put much work into dates in most of my content. Just happy to have this great product to work with.

That's it for now. Good to see Chemlak, Vargr and others still.

Gary/weogarth
Deputy Calendar <insert term here>

Gary
Assistant Calendar Champion (retired)

GM: D&D 3.5 homegrown Local/Small Scale campaign
GMing blog: http://www.undiscoveredworlds.com
weogarth is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 7th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
Pertinent to discussion in the primary thread, I tried installing Weather Master to Windows 10 about 6 months back. Ugh, what a mess. (WeatherMaster was the EndAllBeAll of calendar programs with support for other bodies like moons but was for XP and you now need registry hacks to keep it going). Probably easier to install an XP VM in Windows10. Course MS took that default feature out of Windows too
I use VirtualBox for playing around with older Windows versions, Insider Windows 10, and various Linux flavors. IMO, any actual VM setup is better than Windows 7's XP Mode. (Why? Well, the one time I tried XP Mode and went to install a program in it, the Windows 7 install got so messed up I ended up wiping the machine and starting over. Anecdotes are the best evidence!)

My Uncle still uses WeatherMaster; a while ago he bought a new machine and I had to find the workaround for him. It's too bad the developer isn't around. :(

Last edited by Parody; June 7th, 2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Stupid smilies.
Parody is online now   #27 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old June 7th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I use VirtualBox for playing around with older Windows versions, Insider Windows 10, and various Linux flavors. IMO, any actual VM setup is better than Windows 7's XP Mode. (Why? Well, the one time I tried XP Mode and went to install a program in it, the Windows 7 install got so messed up I ended up wiping the machine and starting over. Anecdotes are the best evidence!)

My Uncle still uses WeatherMaster; a while ago he bought a new machine and I had to find the workaround for him. It's too bad the developer isn't around. :(
Thanks for the info. I got the XPMode working just fine actually. It was nice not having to set up the whole OS once the VM was set up. Does Virtual Box have such a setup by chance or do I need to go dig out my media and keys?

Gary
Assistant Calendar Champion (retired)

GM: D&D 3.5 homegrown Local/Small Scale campaign
GMing blog: http://www.undiscoveredworlds.com
weogarth is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 7th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
It was nice not having to set up the whole OS once the VM was set up. Does Virtual Box have such a setup by chance or do I need to go dig out my media and keys?
VirtualBox is a generic x86/x64 virtual machine. You have to install whatever OS yourself or find a virtual hard drive file someone already set up and is distributing legally. (For example, Microsoft distributes VHDs for testing your sites with IE.)

Last edited by Parody; June 7th, 2017 at 06:25 PM.
Parody is online now   #29 Reply With Quote
salcor

Old June 9th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Parody,

How did your uncle.get his registry codes for weather master? If memory serves the company sent the required code to the software.

Salcor
salcor is offline   #30 Reply With Quote