Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

jkthomsen9

Old December 11th, 2014, 03:13 PM
One of my players is also having this problem today. I asked him to submit a bug report. it would ask to sync. He would sync and it would say sync was successful. He would open realm and it would inform him that the realm was out of sync. Rince and repeat. After about five times of this he just opened the realm, but did not have the latest update.

I was able to fix the issue with the nuclear option. I had him delete local data. He was then able to sync normally.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Seregil

Old December 11th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
Seregil is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old December 12th, 2014, 01:03 PM
well it usually works.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
jerrycnh

Old February 1st, 2015, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
One of my players is also having this problem today. I asked him to submit a bug report. it would ask to sync. He would sync and it would say sync was successful. He would open realm and it would inform him that the realm was out of sync. Rince and repeat. After about five times of this he just opened the realm, but did not have the latest update.

I was able to fix the issue with the nuclear option. I had him delete local data. He was then able to sync normally.
Having this exact problem now as well. I'm confident the nuking will work, but is there progress on finding a root cause? Any logs/feedback I can give the team on this before we fix it?
jerrycnh is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 1st, 2015, 02:01 PM
If this happens, the only thing that helps to ultimately solve this is to submit a bug report!

In addition, we probably need your database. Otherwise, there's likely no way for us to figure out exactly what's wrong and fix it. This means we need the GM to make a backup of his database when the problem is occurring. Don't send it to us immediately, but have it available so you can provide it if we ask for it.

It seems there is a case in the sync logic where we're not handling things perfectly, resulting in situations where we incorrectly determine that something needs to be synced when it doesn't. Since this only happens in seemingly obscure cases, we need to isolate exactly where that error is occurring. That's a difficult task, and it's vastly harder if we don't have concrete examples to analyze. And the more examples we have, the better chance we have of finding similarities that will uncover the actual problem.

So please make a backup and start with the bug report. Thanks!
rob is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Redjack

Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrycnh View Post
Having this exact problem now as well. I'm confident the nuking will work, but is there progress on finding a root cause? Any logs/feedback I can give the team on this before we fix it?
I had several players with the same issue yesterday. Finally late in the day, both synced successfully. I think Realm Works is not properly handling network latency. Sometimes it is silently giving up and reporting successful syncs, even when it fails. Sometimes it fails with an error, but I witnessed on several computers (each with different player accounts), and on multiple Realms (this weekend) Realm Works reporting a successful sync, but it not syncing.
Redjack is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Redjack

Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:51 AM
I will add that twice over the past two weeks as GM, I have encountered a similar issue:
1) Make changes to a realm
2) Return to Realm Menu
3) Sync. Get success message.
4) Exit
----
1) Come back later and open realm works.
{Can't remember if it showed out of sync or it I made updates and then went to sync them}
2) Sync. Error message about the local database and cloud being out of sync.
Just how in the world does that occur when I'm the only one updating the realm?
Redjack is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:13 AM
Just to check, Redjack: do your players have Player Edition? I think that it will show a sync required if they update (and sync) notes in between times.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Redjack

Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
Just to check, Redjack: do your players have Player Edition? I think that it will show a sync required if they update (and sync) notes in between times.
Yes, my players have player edition. To be clear, here was what was happening that resolved itself.

1) Open realm works player edition.
2) See the sync button.
3) Click it. Sync finishes with pop up that it completed.
4) Click ok. Realm still shows the sync button instead of "up to date"
5) If they open the realm, I can see that it is clearly not up to date.
6) Steps 1-5 repeats MANY times.

I had two players in the same room with me trying to get a sync from updates I made. At one point of them them actually got an update, but the other didn't (same results as above). By the time the game ended Sunday evening, both finally, truly, synced.
Redjack is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
TwistedGM

Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:55 PM
I just bought a 5 pack players edition this afternoon, gave out 3 of the activations, got everything set up with those 3 players and all was good. That is no longer the case as they can no longer sync... It says complete but it is not.

I understand the whole "Submit" a bug report... however my question is simple, why release broken software? I paid 30 bucks for something that will not operate as advertised, and this is not an isolated instance... very disappointed.
TwistedGM is offline   #20 Reply With Quote