Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Demigorgon 8 My Baby

Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to add a new character resource called "Influence". I want each class to grant a given number of Influence Points per level like Skill Points. They would be calculated like 2+Cha Modifier Skill Points per Level. Ideally I would like Hero Lab to calculate them for each character, and then display them somewhere in a field. Any help I could get on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Demigorgon 8 My Baby is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:34 AM
I dont think this can be done with the existing game system or the editor. You would need to use the Authoring Kit and create a new game system with the new attribute.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:53 AM
I haven't tried his but I'll offer it as a suggestion.

Maybe creating a skill called influence and adding it as a class skill for all classes would work. The mechanism is already in place to calculate the modifiers per level. At each level advancement just add the 2 + Cha bonus via a script based on level!

Hope that helps.
bodrin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Demigorgon 8 My Baby

Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
I haven't tried his but I'll offer it as a suggestion.

Maybe creating a skill called influence and adding it as a class skill for all classes would work. The mechanism is already in place to calculate the modifiers per level. At each level advancement just add the 2 + Cha bonus via a script based on level!

Hope that helps.
That might work. My only concern is the effect it would have on the whole skill point system. Do you think I could then just add class features that would add to the skill, without investing any skill points in it? That might be the easiest solution. You just wouldn't be able to track Influence Point expenditures separately.

I was thinking of trying to add it as a class feature, then just making duplicates of each class with the class feature added. What I can't figure out is how to get HL to add up the points, calculate them based on Cha, and display them in a field. Then, ideally I would like the ability to add fields, such as "Influence: King of XYX" "+15", and have the program subtract the +15 from their total pool of Influence Points.
Demigorgon 8 My Baby is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:02 AM
How does your overall mechanic work? What do you need it to do? Are they gained and used in-play? Or are they gained and lost when you level up?

Can you see anything that already exists in the program that works something like this? If not, have you seen anything in the program that works similarly?
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Shayd3000

Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Take a look at the "user" file created for concentration checks. I believe that functions similarly to what you are looking for.

Member: Amorphous Blob Games
Shayd3000 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Maybe creating a free wondrous item called Influence with a custom text box, ie "Influence: King of XYX" "+15" that uses charges, (in this case 15 charges) would be a better way of tracking the resources, similar to a potion.

Each time a player gains Influence points add the items equal to the 2 + Cha bonus to the players inventory so the items stack. They could even add individual influence items as play progresses seperately via the inventory screen.

On the in play tab it will show up as charges which can be applied or added at will by the player.

I'd even try and script the item to add itself to gear automatically per level so the player didn't have to remember either!

Last edited by bodrin; November 23rd, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
bodrin is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:33 AM
bodrin - that's better handled with a mechanic bootstrapping a tracker - then it won't show up in the gear listing.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
bodrin - that's better handled with a mechanic bootstrapping a tracker - then it won't show up in the gear listing.
So something similar to the extra rage tracker in the D20 system complete warrior custom user files would work better for this suggestion?
bodrin is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
I'm not familiar with that - if you have the APG for Pathfinder, try enabling the Hero Points rules -that's what I'm thinking of.

Let's wait until the original poster elaborates on what he needs before we go offering too many ideas - we don't know enough about the problem yet.
Mathias is offline   #10 Reply With Quote