Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Machaeus

Old August 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I'm trying to add a game based on the Pathfinder system to HeroLab. Unfortunately, I have no real programming skills, which I seem to need, but that's not the issue - I can still toy around with it and learn by doing. I did some of that yesterday, though it kinda made my head hurt.

The problem is I have no code to go off of - the DAT files aren't there, in Pathfinder or in the "copy system" choice, yet it works just fine. Did I download something the wrong way or something?
Machaeus is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old August 10th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Sorry all the .dat files are hidden.
Frodie is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Machaeus

Old August 10th, 2010, 01:45 PM
That would explain it, thank you. Also, I apologize, it looks like I may have put this in the wrong thread...

EDIT: Okay, tried making files visible, didn't work. What now?

Last edited by Machaeus; August 10th, 2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Tried that
Machaeus is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
For a packaged game system like Pathfinder, the .dat files are not accessible to users. This doesn't change if you make a copy of the game system. Could you explain what your ultimate goal is? That way I can help you figure out the best way to approach what you want to accomplish.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Machaeus

Old August 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I wish to use the Pathfinder feats, skills, and combat system while replacing the spells, classes, and races for a homebrewed setting, basically. Further question: Will the .dat files ever be available for PF, or will they always be locked from making personal edits?
Machaeus is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 10th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Your best bet for that would be to duplicate the PF system and call it something else. That way if you break something the PF files will be safe. I do this for a testing platform so that I dont damage any core files and have to reload the whole product.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Once you've copied the Pathfinder files to a new game system, create a new file in the editor. Then, use the hidden tab to hide anything you don't want in your version, and create your new items on the various other tabs. The exact details of the hidden tab are explained in the editor manual (at the bottom of the Editor Tabs page).

By keeping all the changes within .user files that no longer apply their effects once they're removed from the /data/pathfinder folder, you can easily undo your changes if you find you've made a major mistake. That's the main reason for not exposing the .dat files.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Machaeus

Old November 19th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Okay. It's been a while since I was on here - I've made no progress. It sucks.

I want to add Things in the tabs in the Editor...but they don't add to the tabs, even after I save the .user document. What did I screw up?
Machaeus is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM
If you are copying something that is in the books it will show up pinkish red and even when you save the file it will not be saved even if you modified it. If that isn't your problem, are you sure you are saving the file to the correct folder?
Lawful_g is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Machaeus

Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
Um...what? I'm creating stuff myself, in the editor tabs. The drop-down boxes are not adding these things I create. IE, I create a new race and it doesn't show up.
Machaeus is offline   #10 Reply With Quote