Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Jamz

Old August 21st, 2017, 12:31 PM
I was told at GenCon that it would require a live connection, which makes sense if you think about it. It is a web browser app after all as I understand it.

My deciding factor will be, if the current product is the "offline" mode and the migration is NOT one way so i can use either product, then I'm a happy camper!

Its how they handled the iPad (as a license and not its own product) so I have confidence that Rob is going to make us happy and not sad

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #21
nightpanda2810

Old August 21st, 2017, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
I was told at GenCon that it would require a live connection, which makes sense if you think about it. It is a web browser app after all as I understand it.

My deciding factor will be, if the current product is the "offline" mode and the migration is NOT one way so i can use either product, then I'm a happy camper!

Its how they handled the iPad (as a license and not its own product) so I have confidence that Rob is going to make us happy and not sad
If it's like this then perfect. While I'm a fan of cloud-based products, I prefer having the local client to be able to use it both ways.
nightpanda2810 is offline   #22
Farling

Old August 21st, 2017, 01:21 PM
The question about sharing between the web app and the offline app is where the character data is stored.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #23
daplunk

Old August 21st, 2017, 01:24 PM
I'm going to wager a guess it will be online only. There will be no client. It will be a website you log into.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #24
Merion

Old August 21st, 2017, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I'm going to wager a guess it will be online only. There will be no client. It will be a website you log into.
I think so too. Everything else is wishful thinking. Look at the speed of LWD developing - no disrespect, just being realistic - they're happy to have programmed the web app. Any additional offline client or integration into the old, clunky standalone application would mean a lot of development time they'd better invest elsewhere.

My guess is that they'll just let the two coexist. Most we can hope for is to be able to use both with the same license plus the cloud hosting cost.
Merion is offline   #25
Mystic Lemur

Old August 21st, 2017, 10:30 PM
I, too, would like to know if Starfinder is coming to Hero Lab "Classic." The original post was rather ambiguous about that.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #26
daplunk

Old August 21st, 2017, 10:43 PM
Doubt it. I think they are looking to the future. Hero Lab is how old? 19 is you go by the copyright. The old software is holding them back in terms of market share and usability. It would make more sense for them to release Starfinder on Hero Lab Online and slowly transition everything else over to it making it their primary platform moving forward.

Just like you can't buy Windows XP anymore software companies need to move forward or be left behind.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #27
AJC

Old August 22nd, 2017, 06:22 AM
I think someone posted over on the Paizo forums and indicated they Starfinder was only going to released fro HL Online, at this time. IIRC, they were in attendance at the GenCon seminar.
AJC is offline   #28
Paragon

Old August 22nd, 2017, 08:16 AM
I suspect it depends on how confident they are that they'll gain more people than they lose by going to an entirely online tool. They'd certainly lose me.
Paragon is offline   #29
TCArknight

Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:01 AM
My ask is how is this going to affect the Authoring Kit and creation of new datasets?
TCArknight is offline   #30
Closed Thread