Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

BubbaDave

Old October 7th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
Although I am sad, I still love what RW can do. I am not a GM - I use RW for wordbuilding related to writing. I've also tried World Anvil but RW is still better for what I want: to develop my own notes. WA seems to be, as somebody said before, too focused on looks. Perhaps it'll get better in the future.

I also hope that RW will be able to be developed in the future. I'm not holding my breath, though; neither will I be surprised if it never happens. Still, it doesn't hurt to be hopeful in the backburner.
I use a combination of RW with OneNote. I think this combination is breathtaking for world building. RW always felt clunky for in-game use especially considering both the slowness of relying on a hard drive and sometime spotty wifi.
BubbaDave is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old October 7th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDave View Post
I use a combination of RW with OneNote. I think this combination is breathtaking for world building. RW always felt clunky for in-game use especially considering both the slowness of relying on a hard drive and sometime spotty wifi.
Please share with the class how you manage the two in tandem. Lots of copy/pasting?

D100 for life!
gloranphile is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 7th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Quote:
RW always felt clunky for in-game use especially considering both the slowness of relying on a hard drive and sometime spotty wifi.
Were you doing a lot of syncing during the game, for the player's benefit?

I only ever used Player View on a second screen - no need for wifi at all.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old October 8th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Quote:
I use a combination of RW with OneNote. I think this combination is breathtaking for world building.
Do you use them in tandem for worldbuilding, or for GMing/providing info to your players?

I'm not a player either, although I borrow from the rules to help me shape up my characters fights and similar. I just really enjoy worldbuilding in detail for my own background knowledge, and I'm always game to try new approaches and techniques.
Teresa is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
Syrkres

Old October 10th, 2019, 07:19 AM
Guess I should of researched more...
Just purchased RW yesterday (mainly looking at videos - found forums after purchasing).

It still seems like a good product for organizing data. Would be great if they released the code to community (being a programmer myself).

Big question i have is IF (and that seems likely yes) the servers go down, can I still run the program locally? Or do they require the servers to boot/start?
Syrkres is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old October 10th, 2019, 09:43 AM
You can start without a connection to the internet.

What you will NOT be able to do if the servers go away permanently is create new realms. Consequently several people are taking the precaution of creating a few 'blank' realms (just in case).
Grey Mage is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 10th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrkres View Post
Guess I should of researched more...
Just purchased RW yesterday (mainly looking at videos - found forums after purchasing).

It still seems like a good product for organizing data. Would be great if they released the code to community (being a programmer myself).

Big question i have is IF (and that seems likely yes) the servers go down, can I still run the program locally? Or do they require the servers to boot/start?
It would probably be a good idea to indicate the status of the software on the purchase page. Otherwise, it's misleading advertising.
EightBitz is offline   #107 Reply With Quote
Syrkres

Old October 10th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
It would probably be a good idea to indicate the status of the software on the purchase page. Otherwise, it's misleading advertising.
Yes, though I do have a 60 day money back guarantee.

As mentioned it looks good, but I do see some limits which when I purchased figured would be on a wish list, but that is all it will ever be now.

As a programmer it would be nice to be able to get hands on code since they don't plan on supporting it anymore.
Syrkres is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old October 10th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Regardless of what anyone feels, they explained earlier in this thread that the software is useful as it is (and I agree it works fine for what I want, though I miss calendars sorely) and then there's some money reason I don't recall.

I suggest checking if it really fits your style of working and then decide on the refund thing. I create excel calculators-generators and then import the information into RW to serve as a database.

Last edited by Teresa; October 10th, 2019 at 11:22 AM.
Teresa is offline   #109 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 10th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrkres View Post
Yes, though I do have a 60 day money back guarantee.

As mentioned it looks good, but I do see some limits which when I purchased figured would be on a wish list, but that is all it will ever be now.

As a programmer it would be nice to be able to get hands on code since they don't plan on supporting it anymore.
It wasn't my intention to speak for you, and I apologize if I came across with that presumption. I'm just saying that, in general, disclosure would show good faith.
EightBitz is offline   #110 Reply With Quote