Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 16th, 2015, 07:15 PM
A new release for Realm Works is now available! This update addresses a number of the issues that users came across following the major release earlier this week .

There are a variety of outstanding bug reports that we’re still working to get fixed. Our first priority has been issues with data corruption following the update earlier this week and users experiencing crashes at startup.

If you encounter any new issues following this update, please update your support ticket by sending a follow-up email or send us a new bug report. To see the full list of changes and enhancements, please take a look at the Release Notes available within the product.

Last edited by liz; October 16th, 2015 at 07:18 PM.
liz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kirsa

Old October 16th, 2015, 08:02 PM
"An error occured while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:

MoveFile failed; code 183 Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

This is on Win 7 Ent. running Realm Works as Administrator.

Aborting removes the Realm Works .exe requiring a reinstall.
Kirsa is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 16th, 2015, 08:53 PM
If you have multiple computers, here are the steps to follow. They are almost identical to the steps when you first applied the big upgrade.

1. Restore the backup on the computer where you FIRST did the upgrade to the earlier version. That's where the auto-created backup will reside.

2. Complete the upgrade on that computer, then sync up to the server, following the steps outlined in the release notes.

3. On all other computers, sync down the latest version from the server.

That's all there is to it. Once the first computer is restored and synced up to the server, the other computers are no different from any other time. Just grab the latest from the server, and you're good to go.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 16th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsa View Post
"An error occured while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:

MoveFile failed; code 183 Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

This is on Win 7 Ent. running Realm Works as Administrator.

Aborting removes the Realm Works .exe requiring a reinstall.
That's quite surprising. It sounds like something is preventing your existing database file from being replaced. Since you're running Win 7 Enterprise, you're likely comfortable doing more technical operations stuff, so you can try manually performing the restore.

You already know the location of the backup database to use. Copy that file into the following location:
c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works
[Alternately: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works]

When you copy the file, make sure to name it "master.realm", overwriting the current file that reside there. Once you copy the file, launch the latest version of Realm Works, and it should initiate the upgrade process on the old copy of the database.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Kirsa

Old October 16th, 2015, 10:39 PM
On the fourth attempt it finally worked. The only thing I did differently was I unchecked the 'add a desktop icon' box. How is that for weird? Now to go try my Surface 3 ...
Kirsa is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old October 17th, 2015, 01:45 AM
I did restore the backup (before 202). The I synced. But RW didn't ask me if I want to keep the local. Therefore I have the lasted version and probably the data corruption. After the update and the restore and the sync, I found my data as before the update but with the crashes I had before.

For your information, I had no problems when I put the 202 as I had no special text, Statblocs, Shadows, ...

But I always have regular crashes.

What should I do? Are these crash I have (for instance, doing a CTRL+T, then CTRL+G, then again a CTRL+T, then crash) linked with the versioon or linked with a corruption of my database?
eponette is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old October 17th, 2015, 05:25 AM
Has the link on the website been updated? I just downloaded the update via the website and got the older version. Downloading through the programs installer is always problematic for me.

UPDATE: I got the download through the programs updater. I just took a long time (patience - not a virtue for me ).

Last edited by meek75; October 17th, 2015 at 05:34 AM.
meek75 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old October 17th, 2015, 02:12 PM
I was opening pages in my realm and checking for new links. After doing this for several pages it crashed when I opened a page and now I can't open that realm. I can open my other realms, but not that one. Every time I try I get a crash report. I don't know if it means something but it said the following:

startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.
Parameter name: startIndex

I did send the crash report as it instructed.
ruhar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 17th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Well, we screwed up. I don't know how else to say it, so there it is.

It turns out that the restore process isn't behaving the way we thought it was. And our various pre-release tests inadvertently masked the problem, so it looked like it was all working correctly.

We are working on a fix right now for the restore process. Until we get this fix out, NONE of the fixes are being retained for any realms that were upgraded to build 201/202 and sync to the server. The correct fixes are being applied, but then the old (wrong) data is being pulled down from the server and overwriting those changes for a net no improvement.

Anyone who upgraded to build 203 and restored from a build 201/202 backup will need to repeat the process again with the forthcoming build 204. Sorry for the headaches on all of this. We're working through the weekend to fix this as quickly as possible.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old October 17th, 2015, 04:56 PM
So any work we are doing in Realmworks now will be lost with the new update that you are currently working on?

I have added about 30 topics today alone as I am trying to prep for a convention next weekend.. so I should stop?
Nikmal is offline   #10 Reply With Quote