Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

chaoscowboy

Old August 10th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Hey thanks for the city of brass suggestion I'd never even heard of it! Going to give it a trial. And for all my bluster, I am very thankful I could get a refund from Realmworks. It doesn't fit what I need it to do and that's fine. I got my money back so there's really no hard feelings.
chaoscowboy is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 10th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscowboy View Post
Hey thanks for the city of brass suggestion I'd never even heard of it! Going to give it a trial. And for all my bluster, I am very thankful I could get a refund from Realmworks. It doesn't fit what I need it to do and that's fine. I got my money back so there's really no hard feelings.
At least you tried it and saw for yourself.
EightBitz is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
gamsOnline

Old August 10th, 2016, 04:35 PM
As for content,

The Emerald Spire demo they were presenting at their GenCon booth this weekend was very well done. Truly showed me a lot more of the detail and possibility with the software.

Personally, I have sat on my copy of RW for the past year, intimidated and overwhelmed by those possibilities. However, with the release of the CM this Fall, seeing exactly how that content will be incorporated, structurally, into existing Realms should shove me over that mountain of hesitation.

( My OCD demands that I do something correct the first time. LoL )

Keep at it LW.

Chatting with you all at GenCon was great at putting faces to names on forum posts. A nice reminder of the humanity residing behind the internet veil.

gams
gamsOnline is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 10th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsOnline View Post
As for content,

The Emerald Spire demo they were presenting at their GenCon booth this weekend was very well done. Truly showed me a lot more of the detail and possibility with the software.

Personally, I have sat on my copy of RW for the past year, intimidated and overwhelmed by those possibilities. However, with the release of the CM this Fall, seeing exactly how that content will be incorporated, structurally, into existing Realms should shove me over that mountain of hesitation.

( My OCD demands that I do something correct the first time. LoL )

Keep at it LW.

Chatting with you all at GenCon was great at putting faces to names on forum posts. A nice reminder of the humanity residing behind the internet veil.

gams
You'll never do things right the first time. You can move things around (as far as containers), so just start doing things. If you don't want to work on a real game or a real setting, just start playing around. In order to do things right, you should get a feel for how things work, and what effect it will have to do things one way vs. another way.

So, just start playing with it.
EightBitz is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 10th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
You'll never do things right the first time. You can move things around (as far as containers), so just start doing things. If you don't want to work on a real game or a real setting, just start playing around. In order to do things right, you should get a feel for how things work, and what effect it will have to do things one way vs. another way.

So, just start playing with it.
Really this is the absolute best way to learn RW.

Or even pick some module, I used Village of Hommlet simply because I had it and had it functionally memorized from the number of times I've run it for people, and put it into RW.
kbs666 is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old August 10th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
You mean companies that sell software with many more zeroes after the price tag than Realm Works?
Ah, yes. Many more zeroes. Stuff like Oracle, SAP and such. Things I used to earn money with.

I tend to forget that RealmWorks is free of charge, judging from that pespective. I apologize for my criticism

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old August 11th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
Ah, yes. Many more zeroes. Stuff like Oracle, SAP and such. Things I used to earn money with.

I tend to forget that RealmWorks is free of charge, judging from that pespective. I apologize for my criticism

Indeed. I find RW very cheap (not a reason to increase the price though )

I use it since the beginning (a little after the kickstarter) on 2 different campaigns. If you take the price of on session (drinks, food, ...), RW price is close to nothing.
eponette is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old August 11th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Just poking my nose in, really.

I consider RW invaluable, I think I've mentioned a few times that I don't ever want to run a campaign without it. I am very much a casual user (at least until I start running a Pathfinder game again), and my GMing style is pretty "fly by the seat of my pants", but RW has drastically improved my overall game organisation and plotting.

I know that I'm an enthusiastic supporter of LWD, and it wouldn't surprise me if some people expect me to be a shill for the company, but here's how I see it:

RW is not for everyone. It is most certainly not all things to all people. It can't be, for starters, but there are huge swathes of features that aren't available which would either make it better, are essential for it to be all it can be, or were part of the original KS sales pitch, and those features aren't here yet.

So I absolutely get why some people aren't entirely happy about some things.

Personally, I'm okay with development times - not sure how much of it is my age, and how much of it is working for a company where the IT investment is a bit... dire, but long development is AOK with me.

I want a product that I can use right now. It doesn't need all the bells and whistles, but it needs to be something I can use to record details of my campaign and write up plots. I can do those things, so I've got the product that I want. I would like to have those bells and whistles, of course, but I don't need them.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #68 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 11th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
For a $50 product, that's about as big of a safety net as can be reasonably expected. And I believe that it's a lot more than many other software products offer. That's my opinion, at least.
Software that sells as cheap as 50 bucks often come with "upgrade" costs and zero to no support. You may get a year of "fixes" for 50 bucks but the next big change like "Market Place" in example would be another 50 dollar upgrade cost.

Based on Hero Lab and what we have seen for RW this is not LW business model. Which is why I am often stressing the "free" upgrades with NEW features people get for such a small price tag. Yes I say small price tag based on the number of hours of "use" you get out of the software. The ability to leave the software alone for a year and to be able to upgrade to the latest version without cost is crazy. To be able to put in a support ticket or forum post and get help no matter how long its been sense you purchased is amazing.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #69 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 11th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Software that sells as cheap as 50 bucks often come with "upgrade" costs and zero to no support. You may get a year of "fixes" for 50 bucks but the next big change like "Market Place" in example would be another 50 dollar upgrade cost.

Based on Hero Lab and what we have seen for RW this is not LW business model. Which is why I am often stressing the "free" upgrades with NEW features people get for such a small price tag. Yes I say small price tag based on the number of hours of "use" you get out of the software. The ability to leave the software alone for a year and to be able to upgrade to the latest version without cost is crazy. To be able to put in a support ticket or forum post and get help no matter how long its been sense you purchased is amazing.
Also, the licensing model. I installed the Windows 10 anniversary update, and I got a notice that it appeared that there were significant changes to my computer, and my license was now invalid, but I could move the license to this computer.

So I did. Just a menu option. Didn't have to call anyone or email anyone or wait on hold for anyone ... just selected a menu option. Bam. Done.

And people can gripe about needing licenses to begin with, but I don't care about that. I care about how intrusive the licensing model is. LW's is the easiest, friendliest, least intrusive model I've come across.
EightBitz is offline   #70 Reply With Quote