Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

zarlor

Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:52 PM
I'd be interested in this as well and would argue that it is exactly what RealmWorks is there to handle. Not in the sense of doing things that a VTT program does, but, as was already mentioned, as a way of managing and logging information. Particularly once individual player reveal is included this would allow me, as a GM, to copy relevant notes out to appropriate content snippets. Having the log places things into a timing context as well, which is what the Journal and time-stamping of snippet reveals is all about. So I actually think this is very much an appropriate item for RealmWorks to handle.

So thanks to DavidP for letting us know it's in the works, but let me add a +1 for being interested in this myself, although admittedly not as a top priority.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:00 PM
The snippet reveal is great and necessary. The conversation management is not. (IMO). There are tools that do it. Copy the chat log from one of these tools and paste it into RW just like you do with adventure PDFs. It's not core to RW.
Bidmaron is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:44 AM
On the other hand, if when the individual player account becomes available you could have a snippet that the player could edit. I would find it useful.

I award players "roleplay XP" if they journal what they do in downtime. This would allow players to write up things only available for the DM and players. not so much a chat, but a player controlled snippet. (wit GM approval by having the GM create the snippets firce and deciding which players have edit rights on them).
mirtos is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 24th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
On the other hand, if when the individual player account becomes available you could have a snippet that the player could edit. I would find it useful.

I award players "roleplay XP" if they journal what they do in downtime. This would allow players to write up things only available for the DM and players. not so much a chat, but a player controlled snippet. (wit GM approval by having the GM create the snippets firce and deciding which players have edit rights on them).
Long term, that will be coming. Shorter term but not with the first release of player edition, we will introduce journals that can be fully controlled by a player. Probably with the release of the player edition, we will support notes as in the GM edition. Notes are totally private to the user who creates them.
davidp is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 24th, 2014, 09:05 AM
thats perfect. Better than chat anyway. i asusme the GM can always see the "private" stuff? I assume the GM is always going to be a superuser, so to speak.
mirtos is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 24th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Notes are totally private. The GM cannot see them for their players. Journals would fulfill the requirement of being more public as they will allow revealing and such.
davidp is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 24th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
RW is unique, and it should IMO focus on that toolset. There are plenty of other programs/phones that can do what this thread is asking for. It's like saying we want RW to send e-mails to our players so it can keep track of that content too. And what about making maps, shouldn't RW do that too?
No, let them focus on the tools that are its specialty. Once that is done (right!), then they can worry about VTT functions.
+1 to this. :-)

(Sorry, guys, but too many good products have been ruined by growing beyond their scope.)
EightBitz is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 24th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I guess it depends what you're referring to EightBitz. If you mean chat - I agree. But if you mean having players be able to reveal to their DM/GM, then I think its definitely within the scope of RealmsWorks.
mirtos is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 24th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I meant I agree in general terms with Bidmaron's post. As far as specific feature requests, I think public vetting is a good tactic.

I do like the notes and journal ideas. I'd have to see the implementation before I can say anything more about them.
EightBitz is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old April 25th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
RW is unique, and it should IMO focus on that toolset. There are plenty of other programs/phones that can do what this thread is asking for. It's like saying we want RW to send e-mails to our players so it can keep track of that content too. And what about making maps, shouldn't RW do that too?
No, let them focus on the tools that are its specialty. Once that is done (right!), then they can worry about VTT functions.
Yes I agree, I don't need a map maker, dice roller, IM manager...... there are several other software titles that are better suited to do these things. IMO too many are trying to turn this into a VTT system.... IF we are WISHING, it would be nice to have a "one size fits all" but there are too many other items that should be on the top of the NEED list versus the WANT, versus the WISH.

My only major disappointment is the lack of customized calendars (which to me is an ABSOLUTE need for Campaign management) at the point of release. (NOTE: this is in the works, though where in the order of importance is undetermined)

I do feel for Rob, Liz, and others as they try to determine the separations from the NEEDS, WANTS, & WISHES for the masses. Its as it has once been famously said " YOU CAN'T PLEASE ALL the PEOPLE ALL the TIME."

My 2CP
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #20 Reply With Quote