Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

ethernetguru

Old August 27th, 2015, 02:15 PM
we can only dream.

It seems there is no single VTT and campaign management tool out there that runs well enough or hasn't been abandoned.

I did find a free way to organize campaign data: https://github.com/drichard/mindmaps
and another older software called Keeper 2.0 are options that allow for exports.

I too yearn for an export to PDF , but perhaps their webclient will be enough for players that don't want to pay to read my notes.
ethernetguru is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 27th, 2015, 08:39 PM
@ethernetguru: MindMapping software? Really? I'm not trying to be contrarian, I'm actually curious.

I have XMIND that I use for work. I've also used it for world building in the sense of brainstorming ideas. For example, I made a mind map of all the deities in the different pantheons and created links between them to show different relationships. It was a good way to get comfortable with the world's mythology before taking the time to enter all the deities as topics in RW.

But even the best Mindmap could never replace RW.

I feel the same way about Evernote, Onenote, and Wikis. I use Evernote a lot for game purposes. I use it to clip webpages I may want to reference later. All my purchased PDFs are stored and organized in Evernote. It is a neat tool for capturing an organizing scraps of content, bookmarks, etc. I wouldn't want all that random stuff in my realm.

Wikis come the closest. You can do neat things with Wikis. But I much prefer RW's autolinking, structured forms, in-game presentation functionality, and the soon-to-come collaboration features and content market.

I'm not sure I want to my campaign-management tool and character sheet, VTT, etc. all in one. Maybe someone will come along in do it in such a compelling way that I'll change my mind. Maybe that someone will be LoneWolf Development. But for now, I hope the focus on continuing to improve their campaign-management features. Beyond that, I could appreciate integrations with other products. But trying to expand RW into a VTT is something that I fear would just lead to bloat and instead of being the best campaign-management tool on the market it will be mediocre at both.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old August 28th, 2015, 04:42 AM
I have to agree with MNBlockHead, for 49$, I'd rather have a good management tool than a poor all-in-one.

Not to mention that I don't have any use for a VTT (I play IRL using empty beer bottles as figurines).

Note : someone has to empty these bottles
Bobifle is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old August 28th, 2015, 09:20 PM
@Bobifle:

And you usually play in settings as the Battle of Five Armies? :-)

Quite a few bottles I would say...

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old August 29th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Don't worry, I play mostly vampire games, so I dont need to ... hips ... empy more than a dozen ... hips ... beer ... hips...
Bobifle is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 29th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobifle View Post
(I play IRL using empty beer bottles as figurines).
You battle mat/area must be huge or all your encounters taking place in very small rooms? Or has Nik-L-Nips started making tiny wax bottles for beer?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 29th, 2015, 09:27 PM
In my last AD&D 2nd campaign our bad guys were usually candy. (So many gumdrops were brutally slain at our hands!)

We didn't use a grid or anything, though; it was more "are you in the room or outside" or "I'm moving up to the boss" or "I'm staying back so I can cast spells" or whatever. Sometimes my scholar mage would move on to studying wall carvings or tapestries while the others were mopping up minions. :)

Parody is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old August 31st, 2015, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
You battle mat/area must be huge or all your encounters taking place in very small rooms? Or has Nik-L-Nips started making tiny wax bottles for beer?
Like Parody, I rarely use a grid. Unless my players specificaly ask to (they rarely do.

I describe the area, I place bottles for directions (not distance, I usually warn my players that the setup is not at the proper scale).

Vampire is quite flexible on the combat system, and I make the rules even more flexible. I'll grant any action to a player that seems reasonable. It's a win win situation, they'll get to do cool stuff, I get to do cool stuff with the bad guy.

Of course, it only works if the players are willing to play that way.
Bobifle is offline   #68 Reply With Quote