Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old December 9th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Tonight's update is a bug-fix update and no new features were announced. But it was mentioned that realms should load faster and new tabs should load faster. I didn't notice any performance improvements in the time it took to load the program or a realm (not that I timed it before and after, I just didn't perceive a change).

BUT opening tabs DO seem MUCH faster to load. I spend several minutes opening a bunch of tabs: blank tabs, topics in new tabs, articles in new tabs, big and small and it is much quicker. So far it seems to be really improvement and is very welcome.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:00 PM
From the release notes:

The following is a summary of the significant enhancements and new behaviors introduced in this release:
·None
The following minor enhancements and changes were introduced in this release:
·The maximum allowed length of annotations on snippets has been increased to 500 characters.
·The speed of opening new tabs has been increased significantly, especially for realms with thousands of topics.
·The speed of loading a realm and viewing the initial topic will often be significantly faster now, as certain caching is now begun while the Launch Dialog is shown.

I am going to test that (quickly) right now. It sounds good!

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Quote:
The maximum allowed length of annotations on snippets has been increased to 500 characters.
This one is a big plus for me. Thank you.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Confirmed:

The switching of tabs is far faster as is loading of a new tab.

Much appreciated!

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 9th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I didn't notice any performance improvements in the time it took to load the program or a realm (not that I timed it before and after, I just didn't perceive a change).
There was no speed improvement for loading the overall program in this release. The improvements for loading a realm will only be noticeable if you spend at least a second or two on the Launch Dialog before loading a realm, since we start the caching once the Launch Dialog appears instead of waiting for the realm load. If you immediately load a realm after the Launch Dialog appears, then there will be no speed improvement, since there will be no extra time in which to perform the required caching.

The caching still needs to be performed prior to showing the realm. The key difference is that we're starting the caching earlier to (typically) reduce the wait time once a realm starts being loaded.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote