Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

lifer4700

Old December 16th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
It's a database back-end running on their servers.
And that's the part that I would rather have running on my server at home - but it sounds like that will not be an option.

I already have a dedicated server running ESXi, serving out forums, ftp sites, etc. I hate being forced to pay for something that I could do myself. Especially when the basic service is already $50 a year...
lifer4700 is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
JStreet

Old December 16th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Question about buying...

I just read the Update (Thank you for that liz!!). Will realmworks be usable on more then one system per copy like hero lab? I do all my work on my desktop, but i would be running games using my MacBookPro.

Thanks
Jon
JStreet is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old December 16th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStreet View Post
I do all my work on my desktop, but i would be running games using my MacBookPro.
Jon
Keep in mind that RW does not run native on a Mac. You will be required to run virtualization or Boot Camp and install Windows.
Tekwych is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
JStreet

Old December 16th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekwych View Post
Keep in mind that RW does not run native on a Mac. You will be required to run virtualization or Boot Camp and install Windows.
i understand that, just need to know if its gonna be like hero labs. If i need to buy 2 copies, i might just not bother :/
JStreet is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old December 16th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:
i understand that, just need to know if its gonna be like hero labs. If i need to buy 2 copies, i might just not bother :/
I'm in the same boat with regards to licensing as well.

EDIT: Although I'll certainly buy 1 copy.
DMG is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old December 16th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer4700 View Post
And that's the part that I would rather have running on my server at home - but it sounds like that will not be an option.

I already have a dedicated server running ESXi, serving out forums, ftp sites, etc. I hate being forced to pay for something that I could do myself. Especially when the basic service is already $50 a year...
50$ a year? I thought only the cloud service was on a yearly basis.
eponette is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old December 17th, 2013, 12:15 AM
I have a question regarding the Player Account with RW.
Does the GM version include also a Player Account or do we need to buy an additional Player Account?
So in case several persons take turns as GM but all use RW as a GM can they use it as a Player as well?
Tharmiones is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 17th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Only the cloud service is on a payment plan. You can easily run RW standalone, especially if you have players at the table or are willing to host a terminal view of the "player view". The cloud service, from what I've read, should be for sharing with players who want to browse through, say, everything you've shared with them either on a website or with their own copy of Realm Works or for sharing a world/setting with other GMs (even, potentially, offering them for sale). I don't know if at some point they will offer the ability to export a particular world/setting section of your database to a separate file, though. If they did that then you presumably might be able to share it that way. Which might be a nice feature request.

As to the player account thing, I'm pretty sure they've at least given the impression that a GM account can certainly do everything a player account can, it just has a bit more capability.

Just my 2 cents as a customer on what I think I've been reading and looking at, mind you. Official policy may vary from that.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old December 17th, 2013, 04:51 AM
I'm a bit surprised at the reaction here toward the monthly fee. Do we know what we're getting for that $4.17/mo, or that there aren't different pricing tiers for different payment schedules?

To me, that amount seems downright reasonable...and who knows? Maybe it's cheaper if you pay by the year instead of month or 6-month period (whatever the options end up being). The question is whether the service at that tier is a benefit to you.

At that price, almost any benefit to my game will be worthwhile.

Then finally, anyone getting the software right now will have 6 months to evaluate whether it is worthwhile. That's not bad at all for a trial period.

Last edited by JackOfAllGames; December 17th, 2013 at 04:54 AM.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
ChillBro Baggins

Old December 17th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Quote:
You realize that when you buy Herolab, you actually get two licenses, right?
ChillBro Baggins is offline   #30 Reply With Quote