Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

AEIOU

Old September 27th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I'd like to be able to automatically create a report or index based on Categories and Tags. This would allow for a quick "cheat sheet" overview.

1) Define table search parameters -- i.e., City Tag: San Francisco to select all information in RW that has a City Tag equal to San Francisco.

2) Create a table with Tag headers -- i.e., Name, Occupation, Level, Primary Location.

3) Table with links is created by RW and displayed as a snippet.

I'm torn as to whether I'd want it to update automatically or if it should become a static table that can be manually edited/annotated.
AEIOU is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 27th, 2014, 10:15 PM
+1 to this, would add the ability to save those "queries" as well. Could then return to them any time or modify if u only wished to change a filtered source within original instead of start from scratch. For example change San Francisco to Houston and still keep remaining criteria.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old September 28th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Honestly it would be super cool if RW would allow direct interaction with the Database? As I understand its some SQL - clone / thing? (havn't checked in detail yet, but read about it...)

Then I could select some of my stuff dump it into file...

updating my data would be come a breeze with some inserts & updates....

would love it
Acenoid is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 5th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I'd like to be able to automatically create a report or index based on Categories and Tags. This would allow for a quick "cheat sheet" overview.

1) Define table search parameters -- i.e., City Tag: San Francisco to select all information in RW that has a City Tag equal to San Francisco.

2) Create a table with Tag headers -- i.e., Name, Occupation, Level, Primary Location.

3) Table with links is created by RW and displayed as a snippet.

I'm torn as to whether I'd want it to update automatically or if it should become a static table that can be manually edited/annotated.
The first item is quite different from the other two. The first one would involve creating a filter on the desired tag and saving it as a named filter that you can instantly reuse. All the underpinnings for this are in place, but we haven't had the time to implement it yet. This will be on the upcoming survey.

The second item would be somewhat complicated to do. Every snippet is completely independent of the type definition upon which it is based. Yes, everything can be connected up appropriately, but there are a bunch of intermediate tables involved, so it would involve a good amount of work to sort out properly across all the different situations that could arise. However, it's definitely doable. I'll add it to the survey for users to weigh in on how important this would be to them.

The third item sounds like a poor approach to me, but the general idea seems solid. Your content (and world) will be evolving over time. The only way a snippet could be updated would be when you explicitly trigger it. And it doesn't really make sense to me that a snippet would be used for this purpose. Snippets are always within the context of a given topic, but this query/report is intentionally something that spans across your entire content. What I think would be better is to have a separate view of your content that takes a holistic view, which might entail adding a new button on the ribbon bar for a completely different purpose. You could then define these "views" into your data and access them at any time, getting up-to-date "reports" whenever you access them.

With the above approach, it also obviates the question of whether to auto-generate or manually edit the views. They would always be auto-generated whenever you wanted to view them.

What do you think?
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 5th, 2014, 07:13 PM
It's promising that it's doable and useful. Lots of things I'd put ahead. And again, sorry for my fumbling descriptions of desired functionality. You've got an uncanny knack for ferreting out my intent for whatever that is worth.

The thing that triggered this was assembling a table of NPCs for a city. I have topics for the main folks and the rest are embedded in their businesses. The table lists every single one of them and their location(s) as a reference and I like that I can easily see which ones have links (and thus more info) and those that are static (meaning they are most likely bit players that may float up in importance but aren't worth fleshing out now).

I was hoping that someday I could search for a field and find all the bit players which I could then search on to find the NPC I wanted even though it didn't have a topic.

I was hoping that someday I could quickly assemble a table of NPCs with proximity so I could have them all interact with the players rather than move topic-by-topic without the context of the bigger picture.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 5th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Here's another trick in the short-term that you might try. Define a Utility tag of "Embedded NPC" or something similar that works for you. Then assign that tag to each of the business where you have an embedded NPC. Now you can do a quick filter on that one tag and you've got all those topics instantly culled out for review.

Another trick is to assign an alias to each business with the name of the embedded NPC within it. If you know the same of the NPC, you can quickly find the business. And you can also see the NPC in the navigation pane (if you show aliases), plus you can even link to it within the business (via the alias).

Thanks for the compliment on distilling out what you're really striving for. It's a skill I've really worked on over the years. It's nice to know that it's paying off.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 6th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Hmmm, aliases.... Clever use of them. And hidden from view when you don't want the clutter. I've got my Master Table for now but that suggestion is intriguing because it gets them linked.
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 9th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
With the above approach, it also obviates the question of whether to auto-generate or manually edit the views. They would always be auto-generated whenever you wanted to view them.

What do you think?
+1 and can see various applications for this approach.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
thatdarncat

Old October 15th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post

The third item sounds like a poor approach to me, but the general idea seems solid. Your content (and world) will be evolving over time. The only way a snippet could be updated would be when you explicitly trigger it. And it doesn't really make sense to me that a snippet would be used for this purpose. Snippets are always within the context of a given topic, but this query/report is intentionally something that spans across your entire content. What I think would be better is to have a separate view of your content that takes a holistic view, which might entail adding a new button on the ribbon bar for a completely different purpose. You could then define these "views" into your data and access them at any time, getting up-to-date "reports" whenever you access them.
Would players be able to access these "reports" as well? I'm thinking that I would use them primarily for NPC listings - all NPCs in a guild or cult. Ideally I'd include the list in the topic itself - have a snippet? If I have the term right? Listing membership.
thatdarncat is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old October 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
If you use relationships you see the other topics with all members on the right side with a fitting symbol.
Acenoid is offline   #10 Reply With Quote