Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Skeld

Old February 9th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Maybe not great for folks who only have the physical book or who have legitimate PDFs from outside Paizo's system, but it's better than nothing.
Just a piece of useful information: Paizo is the only legit source of pathfinder PDFs. There are no other sellers. Paizo does this on purpose so they can watermark all the PDFs purchased through their site. If someone claims to have a Pathfinder PDF that they didn't buy from Paizo, then it's a pirated copy. If someone has a PDF with the watermarks removed, then they either removed them or downloaded it from a torrent.

-Skeld
Skeld is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 9th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeld View Post
Just a piece of useful information: Paizo is the only legit source of pathfinder PDFs. There are no other sellers. Paizo does this on purpose so they can watermark all the PDFs purchased through their site. If someone claims to have a Pathfinder PDF that they didn't buy from Paizo, then it's a pirated copy. If someone has a PDF with the watermarks removed, then they either removed them or downloaded it from a torrent.

-Skeld
Yup.
Paizo has always kept a tight grip on the PDFs.

This is, in part, how they can make the new policy work. Since they know every legitimate PDF out there, they can validate them.
Silveras is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Ashran

Old February 10th, 2017, 12:19 AM
I am wondering... I bought a few hardcover outside of subscription, without the pdf, from paizo online store, would these books can be considered as a pdf in case they are released in RW ? I mean they have the proof I bought them from their store...
Ashran is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 10th, 2017, 02:12 AM
I think that would be a no. All information is saying pdf is the requirement.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 10th, 2017, 05:29 AM
A physical book could have been a gift to someone else, even though you bought it yourself. In contrast, if you gift a PDF in Paizo's store, it is linked to the recipient's account... so they know who actually has the rights to the PDF.
Silveras is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old February 10th, 2017, 04:28 PM
It is a little silly though that the Hardcover books don't count. I totally see how you couldn't enforce it if bought from a B&M or Amazon, etc. But if I purchased it via Paizo.com, then there should be a record of it. Although I'm sure it's not in the right database, ie, not in the My Downloads. Not a complaint, more of a wish...

I would think physical book sales will eventually drop (and maybe this isn't a bad thing, i'm sure a pdf profits are way more). If I only have x $$ to spend, and I already plan to pay for the HL content and now I want the RW content...something has to give.

Maybe what Paizo/LW need is a "Link my account to my GM's account" and make it easy for players to toss money at the GM?. Something like, as a player, I can put 10$ in this account as do all the other players. The GM sees he now has 70$ to spend from his group, weee, he can now purchase that next Adventure Path content. Because lets face it, RW content is basically a cost to the GM only.

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 10th, 2017, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Can't say I'm terribly pleased with this and I own PDF's of all or almost all of the Paizo products I'm likely to want to buy for RW. One glaring exception is the CRB. I've stuck with my physical copy of that for years. Now I'll need to get a PDF for no reason at all.
FYI, the Pathfinder rulebook line is a different animal and does NOT have the PDF dependency. All the other lines do have the dependency.
rob is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 10th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashran View Post
I am wondering... I bought a few hardcover outside of subscription, without the pdf, from paizo online store, would these books can be considered as a pdf in case they are released in RW ? I mean they have the proof I bought them from their store...
The dependency is on the PDF. If you purchased the book from Paizo without the PDF, then it's unlikely that it would qualify. It's possible that Paizo could revise the requirement, as the determination is completely under their control, but I believe if would represent a change from the model that is in place.

Last edited by BJ; February 11th, 2017 at 07:26 AM.
rob is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 11th, 2017, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
FYI, the Pathfinder rulebook line is a different animal and does NOT have the PDF dependency. All the other lines do have the dependency.
that's useful info. what specifically falls into that line? Is it what I'd get if I subscribed to the Pathfinder rpg line? or is it narrower? I guess my question comes down to are the Bestiaries covered by this as well?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old February 11th, 2017, 05:04 AM
The Pathfinder Rulebook line is pretty much anything that's available on the PRD through Paizo.com.

(The Technology Guide is an oddity.)

So the Bestiaries should fall under this "different animal", but actually only LWD and Paizo can say for sure.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #40 Reply With Quote