Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Gromnar

Old August 12th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone,

My apologies if this question has been answered already, however I'm looking to see what the best process is in renaming something but keeping it stable.

The scenario is, there was a building in my campaign that was called 'The Monastery' which is linked into a bunch of other stuff with that name; it was an important part of the town's history, culture, etc.

Now, the characters have taken over the Monastery and want to change the name to something else; is there a way to rename the actual location to the new name without messing up all the content links? What would be the best solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Grom
Gromnar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old August 12th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Have you tried anything ? Did it work ?

Otherwise create a test realm, include the tutorial content, and you can mess up with it. For instance you can try to rename directly the topic and see if RW ask you to replace all links. Or you can try to create an alias to see if it can implement your need.
Bobifle is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Gromnar

Old August 12th, 2015, 08:30 AM
When I've renamed directly, its broken the links, though I'm looking for a way, if possible, to have the old name still take the user to the location that's renamed to the new name.

I suppose I could simply make a new location with the new name and just refer to it in the old, though I was hoping there was a way to do both.
Gromnar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 12th, 2015, 08:39 AM
When I've changed names recently, the links update I'm pretty sure though I think there was a dialogue box prompting me about the name change.

Create a dummy category, add it as a link to another category, then rename the dummy category. See what happens.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old August 12th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Perhaps this is a place where changing the topic name to whatever the players want and giving it an alias of the old name would work?
Aaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old August 12th, 2015, 10:39 AM
When you access a topic with a link where the name of the topic it links to is changed it will prompt you about it. You can either change the name to the new name, keep the old or ignore it. As AEIOU says.

As Aaron suggest you can keep the old name as an alias if you like.
Cornelius is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old August 12th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Perhaps this is a place where changing the topic name to whatever the players want and giving it an alias of the old name would work?
I think I would do this, as it may become relevant later on that the place had a previous name and history. Or, you may want it to.

After all, monasteries commonly have graveyards around them (sometimes inside them) and out of graveyards can creep all sorts of things...

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old August 12th, 2015, 12:08 PM
The easiest solution is to add a new Alias for the new name.
All the old links are undisturbed. New references using the new name will link to the same topic through the alias.
Silveras is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 12th, 2015, 06:34 PM
I just create an alias. While I can see why it might be nice to have the topic renamed, simply adding an alias is the easy way. Now, if a future update allows you to rescan all links, then I might rename and create an alias for the old name, but for now, I just add the new name as an alias.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #9 Reply With Quote