Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Sendric

Old July 2nd, 2015, 09:28 AM
I suspect the answer is no, but I'm curious. Does anyone know if the Target tag works with specials or just feats? For example, Weapon Focus can use the Target.[weapon thing id] to force the selection of a specific weapon. Would we be able to do the same thing with Ability Focus to select a specific special (ie Target.[special thing id])?
Sendric is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 2nd, 2015, 09:47 AM
It appears that Target.? will currently work with "Spell School", "Skill", and "weapons". But I am 90% sure adding it to Specials would be very easy. I can take a look at that for the next release...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old July 2nd, 2015, 10:32 AM
The problem isn't the targeting, at least from my perspective as a coder. The problem is how does it benefit the user to have such a tag in the first place. Works great with Weapons and Skills because they have a common field that can be used as a modifier across the board. Not so much with Spell School, the target is added but it modifies nothing as far as I know. In PF I'm sure their is a DC field for each spell that is calculated and then the Spell School target has something to modified based on the matching Spell School of the spell. But D20 doesn't have that. Now, unless a DC field is added to the Specials, with all the attendant ways that a DC can be modified by type (to avoid stacking), I probably wouldn't use the tag unless it had some tangible effect in HL. I don't use the Spell School one for just that reason. Just my two brain cells worth of thought on this matter.
Kendall-DM is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
The problem isn't the targeting, at least from my perspective as a coder. The problem is how does it benefit the user to have such a tag in the first place. Works great with Weapons and Skills because they have a common field that can be used as a modifier across the board. Not so much with Spell School, the target is added but it modifies nothing as far as I know. In PF I'm sure their is a DC field for each spell that is calculated and then the Spell School target has something to modified based on the matching Spell School of the spell. But D20 doesn't have that. Now, unless a DC field is added to the Specials, with all the attendant ways that a DC can be modified by type (to avoid stacking), I probably wouldn't use the tag unless it had some tangible effect in HL. I don't use the Spell School one for just that reason. Just my two brain cells worth of thought on this matter.
You are correct that DC is missing from "many" Things in d20. But "one" step at a time and in this case it won't hurt anything to add the Target.? tags now. But yeah DC is another HUGE lacking area including spells and spell schools....

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old July 2nd, 2015, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
It appears that Target.? will currently work with "Spell School", "Skill", and "weapons". But I am 90% sure adding it to Specials would be very easy. I can take a look at that for the next release...
Thanks, Shadow. I would consider it a relatively low priority, but it would be useful to have.
Sendric is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old August 10th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Just FYI, this apparently doesn't work with Specific Magic Weapons either.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old August 10th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Actually, I'd like to weigh in on why Target tags don't exist for racial specials, at least in PF. If I recall correctly, it is because racial specials often have to be bootstrapped with their target, and having the Target tag for themselves as an identity tag means they will have two and not know what to point at. In addition, if you wanted them to select something based on the user choosing in a dropdown, the presence of a Target tag shuts that down. The special would in essence not allow a selection because it automatically selects itself.
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old August 10th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Actually, I'd like to weigh in on why Target tags don't exist for racial specials, at least in PF. If I recall correctly, it is because racial specials often have to be bootstrapped with their target, and having the Target tag for themselves as an identity tag means they will have two and not know what to point at. In addition, if you wanted them to select something based on the user choosing in a dropdown, the presence of a Target tag shuts that down. The special would in essence not allow a selection because it automatically selects itself.
Thanks Aaron. I had not gotten into this Target.? stuff yet as more important issues in d20 currently. I appreciate the info and will keep it in mind for when I take a look at the target tags...

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote