Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bryandet

Old December 19th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been addressed anywhere, but I'm totally new to this and I haven't found anything that addresses this after an exhaustive search of the board. This is my first time posting, so if this is the wrong place, you have my apologies.
I'm making a duskblade, and I want to add a familiar to him. I've taken the feat (Obtain Familiar), but it hasn't added a tab or any place for me to actually choose and add a familiar.
Can anyone tell me how to do this?
Also, I plan on doing "Improved Familiar" at some point, so if that will be a different but similar process, how would I do that when the time comes?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice
bryandet is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sevisin

Old December 19th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Though there are numerous people who would know far more than I, familiars are usually item or class-bound. After you made a custom class, to all the way to the bottom to the "Minions" section. Change "Choose Companion Type" to whatever type of minion you want, then what level they obtain said familiar in the fields below. Fin.

Hope that helps,

-S
Sevisin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 20th, 2014, 03:35 AM
I'll take a look at the Obtain Familiar feat. There may be a bug there that it doesn't provide the familiar.
Sendric is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
bryandet

Old December 20th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks a lot!
bryandet is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
bryandet

Old December 20th, 2014, 06:49 PM
So I managed a work around by creating a duskblade variant that allowed a familiar, then still used the feat to stay within the rules, though the solution seems inelegant/clumsy. Still, it works for now. I also made a file up for a Coure Eladrin, so I can eventually add that when I get Celestial Familiar. I'm not sure that I did it properly, as the skills don't match the stat block, but I can use adjustment in the individual file. Everything else matches up, and I used existing files to copy and modify to make then specific to Coure Eladrin (i.e. alternate form, their spell-like abilities, etc with accurate descriptions). I haven't done any of this before, so fingers crossed it doesn't screw anything else up. If there's an actual "fix" to the Obtain Familiar feat itself, please let me know
bryandet is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 21st, 2014, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryandet View Post
So I managed a work around by creating a duskblade variant that allowed a familiar, then still used the feat to stay within the rules, though the solution seems inelegant/clumsy. Still, it works for now. I also made a file up for a Coure Eladrin, so I can eventually add that when I get Celestial Familiar. I'm not sure that I did it properly, as the skills don't match the stat block, but I can use adjustment in the individual file. Everything else matches up, and I used existing files to copy and modify to make then specific to Coure Eladrin (i.e. alternate form, their spell-like abilities, etc with accurate descriptions). I haven't done any of this before, so fingers crossed it doesn't screw anything else up. If there's an actual "fix" to the Obtain Familiar feat itself, please let me know
Excellent. That would have been my suggested work-around. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to make Obtain Familiar work as it should as I'm pretty busy over the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you in the loop though.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote