Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

jkthomsen9

Old November 5th, 2016, 01:43 PM
I would like to buy 6 identical tablets to run herolab on for my group. Unfortunately I do not have an unlimited budget. These tablets would only be used for gaming, therefore running HL and a browser at www.d20pfsrd.com. I am leaning toward windows based as I have never owned an apple product, but I am looking for the most bang for the dollar. It may be crazy talk but I am looking to spend around $50.00 a tablet, so older models that will run HL well.

Questions I need help with.

1. What size screen do I need for the players to be able to use HL at the table?
2. dose anyone know a website I can buy older tablets in bulk?
3. suggestions on which tablet to buy and why.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old November 5th, 2016, 01:48 PM
I guarantee nothing in the $50 range will run Hero Lab well. Especially Pathfinder. I have a $200 tablet that still goes very slow. I don't even think there are Windows tablets in the $50 range.

Mine is an IRULU Walknbook 3 which does OK.
AndrewD2 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 5th, 2016, 02:15 PM
The only officially supported tablet is the IPad. You're not going to come close to the $50 range working with Apple.

Has anyone ever run it on a Windows Tablet? I've always wanted to try a surface.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old November 5th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Thank you for the reply. I am sure my terminology is not current. I would consider the Walknbook 3 as a notebook. I am looking for something akin to my kindle fire.....but with an operating system that will run HL. Will HL run on a tablet? For clarity i will list computing devises as I understand them. Feel free to corect any mistakes I make.

1. PC
2. Laptop
3. Notebook.....laptop without optical drive?
4. Tablet..........no keyboard, slightly larger than a phone
5. Smart phone

I can easily double my price range to 100.00 a unit but 200-300 a unit is price prohibitive. I am thinking older refurbished models.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old November 5th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
The only officially supported tablet is the IPad. You're not going to come close to the $50 range working with Apple.

Has anyone ever run it on a Windows Tablet? I've always wanted to try a surface.
according to Wikipedia an Ipad 2 can run IOS 9.3.5 which is supposed to run HL. In theory an Ipad 2 or 3rd or 4th generation Ipad should be able to run HL. I have never used any of these products, so I have no idea if that is factual. The Ipad 2 has been discontinued for 2 years.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old November 5th, 2016, 03:14 PM
I love your idea. I mostly use a Windows Laptop to run sessions and a tablet each player would be fantastic!
My wife has an Ipad 2, with HL loaded. She's used it occasionally at our PF sessions. It's a little slow, and can't cope with a portfolio that has multiple characters in it. You also have to make sure EVERY other App has been closed or it has memory problems.
I'd say you need at least A5 screen size to read comfortably.
Dami is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old November 5th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Taking a look online I find a refurbished hybrid for $130 that might run the Windows version of Hero Lab adequately.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old November 5th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Computers like the IRULU Walknbook 3 and my ASUS Transformer T100TA are convertible tablets. These two have detachable keyboards, so they can be used as a laptop or a tablet. (Other types fold and/or twist into tablet mode.)

I don't have any problems running Hero Lab as a player on my Transformer. It's not a high-performance machine by any means, but it's good enough. I just don't know what you'd be able to find for Windows (not RT) tablets in your price range.

Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote