Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Toblakai

Old December 4th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
If the wifi goes down then the entire game will be sunk until the internet is restored, easily wasting a game night.
Lols, the last time I had wifi go down, my power went out, which if I was playing a game would have wasted the game night too. Do you lose wifi that often? Maybe you have a faulty router?

So, once a year I rent a cabin in the boonies for a group of 12 of us to game, guess what? They have wifi there too... Middle of frikkin nowhere and there is wifi.

So honestly answer this:

How often do you game where there is no wifi?
How often does your wifi go out?

If the answer to both of those questions is an unacceptably high number for you, then hero lab online is not the platform for you.

Last edited by Toblakai; December 4th, 2017 at 02:20 PM.
Toblakai is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 4th, 2017, 03:08 PM
It's a sign of the times.

If you are playing in locations that have no access to wifi or cell data you are in the minority.

That is just how the world is now and the number of black spots world wide are decreasing not increasing.

LWD are in a position where they are not big enough to support every demographic and they need to make a choice on which direction they go. This direction will drive the largest demand. This is the most logical direction.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Dareshiranu

Old December 4th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Lols, the last time I had wifi go down, my power went out, which if I was playing a game would have wasted the game night too. Do you lose wifi that often? Maybe you have a faulty router?

So, once a year I rent a cabin in the boonies for a group of 12 of us to game, guess what? They have wifi there too... Middle of frikkin nowhere and there is wifi.

So honestly answer this:

How often do you game where there is no wifi?
How often does your wifi go out?

If the answer to both of those questions is an unacceptably high number for you, then hero lab online is not the platform for you.

My original point was that what works is software that doesn't require a constant connection to function, ie. Hero Lab. As long as it continues to be supported I'll be happy. HLO, while sounding nice, is to me just another boondoggle.

FYI, not all Cellphone ISPs provide equal QOS everywhere. Not all hotel WiFI is terribly reliable... or free. Some people game at hobby stores, it is to be hoped that they graciously provide WiFi.

Most of my devices save my phone are WiFi only, I can't fall back on a cell carrier if the WiFi connection to the internet is interrupted or unavailable.

This summer I was in fact at a con. Used HL in my hotel. HL was also used in a convention hall, AFAIK there was no WiFi and, deep in the building cell service was spotty or non-existant. That would have been impossible to know unless I'd been there before. And the purpose of HL/HLO is to obviate the need for paper, is it not?

Fortunately, I've got it now - most of it. And the hope that Wolflair will continue to support their original product.

I'm just attempting to observe a faulty paradigm. Also I'd like to point out that WiFi and Broadband Internet are seperate things. You can have one function without the other.
Dareshiranu is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 4th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dareshiranu View Post
Not all hotel WiFI is terribly reliable... or free.
Or indeed secure. You take a risk with your security when using public WiFi.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 5th, 2017, 04:53 AM
FWIW, everything I've heard so far indicates that they're going to continue to support Hero Lab Classic. They just might not port new systems like Starfinder to it.
Duggan is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old December 5th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dareshiranu View Post
My original point was that what works is software that doesn't require a constant connection to function, ie. Hero Lab. As long as it continues to be supported I'll be happy. HLO, while sounding nice, is to me just another boondoggle.

FYI, not all Cellphone ISPs provide equal QOS everywhere. Not all hotel WiFI is terribly reliable... or free. Some people game at hobby stores, it is to be hoped that they graciously provide WiFi.

Most of my devices save my phone are WiFi only, I can't fall back on a cell carrier if the WiFi connection to the internet is interrupted or unavailable.
Try using a mobile hot spot, will solve this problem.
Quote:
This summer I was in fact at a con. Used HL in my hotel. HL was also used in a convention hall, AFAIK there was no WiFi and, deep in the building cell service was spotty or non-existant. That would have been impossible to know unless I'd been there before. And the purpose of HL/HLO is to obviate the need for paper, is it not?
I went to a con last summer, had decent wifi, I just didn't have a power outlet and my laptop won't last a full day, so I used paper. Dealing with this once a year is not a big deal for me.
Quote:
Fortunately, I've got it now - most of it. And the hope that Wolflair will continue to support their original product.
They will, but new systems will more than likely not be ported.
Quote:
I'm just attempting to observe a faulty paradigm. Also I'd like to point out that WiFi and Broadband Internet are seperate things. You can have one function without the other.
Luckily HLO will not need broadband.
Toblakai is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old December 6th, 2017, 08:01 AM
FWIW, Every year I plays hours upon hours for 4 days without WiFi at the largest gaming convention, GenCon.

So far, it's the only place I play PFS (and soon to be SFS). And Sprint cell reception is pretty much non existent in that room so ya...

Personally, since HL is the official tool there, I'm hoping between them and Paizo maybe they will put some free wifi in the room for us to use (because I doubt Starfinder will be on HL Classic by next August)

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
nylanfs

Old December 6th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Last I remember the Indiana Convention Center uses Verizon, so if you have a Verizon account you have free wifi.

Perhaps if you have an older unlocked phone, you could buy a month or so of prepaid time from them and get data access.

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylanfs (or Nylan)

Hero Lab Shadowrun 4E & 5e user
nylanfs is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old December 6th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
FWIW, Every year I plays hours upon hours for 4 days without WiFi at the largest gaming convention, GenCon.

So far, it's the only place I play PFS (and soon to be SFS). And Sprint cell reception is pretty much non existent in that room so ya...

Personally, since HL is the official tool there, I'm hoping between them and Paizo maybe they will put some free wifi in the room for us to use (because I doubt Starfinder will be on HL Classic by next August)
if they are going to push HLO at Gencon, it would be a real bad idea for them to not provide WiFi.
Toblakai is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Shalekendar

Old January 18th, 2018, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Want some cheese with that?
*Checking...yep, per month "service fee" that if not paid will stop you from making characters...meets the definition of a "subscription service"...*\

Ahem, you were saying?
Shalekendar is offline   #30 Reply With Quote