Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Zennister

Old January 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Does this agreement extend to the old WoD games? I think the new material is terrible and still use the old games instead. I was really hoping that it would be possible to do both systems.
Zennister is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
SWChance

Old January 11th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Not to knock your question but I have to say I doubt it will happen. It probably depends on the license given by White Wolf. Its like asking if we can get the srd in 3.0 format or Star Wars in the old WEG d6 system. Older systems are great but not supported by the companies anymore.

Chris Bradshaw
SWChance is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Unfortunately, the license is for the latest incarnations of the games. If the previous edition is similar to the latest edition (I have no idea, personally), then it might be possible to adapt the data files to the old edition. However, given your comments, I have to assume that there were substantive changes made that would make adaptation non-viable.

-Rob

At 03:14 PM 1/11/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
Does this agreement extend to the old WoD games? I think the new material is terrible and still use the old games instead. I was really hoping that it would be possible to do both systems.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Zennister

Old January 13th, 2007, 06:46 AM
There were some pretty large changes and I doubt you could do the old system without a completely new set of files. I won't get into a rant as I tend to do when talking about the old system compared to the new, but the new games aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Thanks for the info, Rob.
Zennister is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Tashtego

Old January 13th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I think the new games are much better than the old ones - the system is streamlined, I can run crossovers like a charm, combat is fast and dangerous, and there's no stupid metaplot cramping my ideaspace and getting in the way of me doing what I like with my games. All in all, the new World of Darkness is a much better GMing experience for me than the old system ever was.

YMMV.

Regards,
Belinda
Tashtego is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Zennister

Old January 13th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I would agree whole heartedly that the new system is more streamlined and I do enjoy the mechanics, but the fluff behind my favorite system (Werewolf) is horrible in my humble opinion. The game was good before the company got a little money hungry and started publishing everything that they could come up with to provide more books for people to buy. I personally never found myself hindered or restricted in any way shape or form except by what I could come up with. I have no problem with the new Vampire since it didn't change a whole heck of a lot, but Werewolf got a big screw-job and that's really the only system that I have any interest in actually playing. I'm more concerned about the fluff than the mechanics.

But then again, everyone enjoys different aspects about games and what I despise, others may love. That's the way of the world.
Zennister is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 14th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Pardon the possible ignorance here, but I'm not a Werewolf player....

If you like the new mechanics and dislike the changes to the fluff, couldn't you just use the old fluff with the new mechanics? Groups I've gamed with over the years have done that more often than not, using game mechanics we like from one system with completely different settings or fluff material from another system (or our own concept entirely). In fact, the primary campaign we play in these days is structured that way.

It might be the best of both worlds AND allow you to use Hero Lab to streamline things ever further. Then again, it's also possible my ignorance has me blind to something fundamental that precludes this from working. But it's potentially worth considering.... :-)

-Rob

At 02:03 PM 1/13/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
I would agree whole heartedly that the new system is more streamlined and I do enjoy the mechanics, but the fluff behind my favorite system (Werewolf) is horrible in my humble opinion. The game was good before the company got a little money hungry and started publishing everything that they could come up with to provide more books for people to buy. I personally never found myself hindered or restricted in any way shape or form except by what I could come up with. I have no problem with the new Vampire since it didn't change a whole heck of a lot, but Werewolf got a big screw-job and that's really the only system that I have any interest in actually playing. I'm more concerned about the fluff than the mechanics.

But then again, everyone enjoys different aspects about games and what I despise, others may love. That's the way of the world. [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Zennister

Old January 14th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Well, at first my girlfriend and I had considered it since she wanted to run a game, but the system is so radically different that it would be extremely difficult. It really is a little more than just the fluff in Werewolf. I find the gifts to be lacking in many cases and there are other aspects that just aren't kosher with us as far as the system for werewolf. Where as Mage and Vampire are really quite similar to their original systems in the manner in which they work, they altered Werewolf so much just to get it to fit into their new format that it just wouldn't be worth the trouble.

We still have all the old books. She's starting her Dark Ages WW game in a week or three and I started a modern one last week. To be honest, there's no reason to transfer the system since the original isn't horribly broken, just not as streamlined as the new one.
Zennister is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old January 19th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWChance
Its like asking if we can get the srd in 3.0 format
WotC may not have that up online any more, but it is still around. Since its OGC, you can still use it under the OGL.
kingpaul is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old March 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpaul
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWChance
Its like asking if we can get the srd in 3.0 format
WotC may not have that up online any more, but it is still around. Since its OGC, you can still use it under the OGL.
The desirability, of course, is an issue best left to another discussion.

This is going to be an even sticker issue when the RuneQuest files come out, because of the changes between Mongoose's edition (which is licensed) and the previous Chaosium/Avalon Hill editions (which are not).
MPHopcroft is offline   #10 Reply With Quote