Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Senko

Old November 18th, 2022, 02:05 AM
First off while this is related to sphere's of power this is more a herolab general question so I'm not posting in that thread. There's a few boxes that increase the size they take up as you add more things to them pushing other boxes off the page e.g. Magic Sphere Abilities has Magic Talents, Magic Tradition, Magic Drawback but if you pick all the abiities you get for certain classes e.g. invoker or sage you push the tradition and drawback boxes off the page i.e.

Box 1
Box 2
Box 3

Box 1
Ability 1
Ability 2
Box 2

Box 1
Ability 1
Ability 2
Ability 3

With the result if you take too many options it will make it impossible to make any choices in the other boxes as they're no longer showing up. However other boxes in herolab like feats, traits, drawbacks will only expand till drawbacks is at the bottom of the screen e.g.

Box 1
Box 2
Box 3

Box 1
Ability 1
Ability 2
Box 2
Box 3

Box 1
Ability 1
Ability 2
Ability 3
Box 2
Box 3

I'm just wondering how hard is it to change a box's size so it functions like the aforementioned feats, traits, drawbacks and doesn't push things off the screen? I recall having this issue in herolab before pathfinder in general but can't remember what I had it on.
Senko is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 18th, 2022, 09:04 AM
I don't know what you're asking about - what boxes are these? Where is this question happening - within HL? In a printed character sheet? Which section of HL's UI or printed sheet?

What level of control do you have over the visuals - are you the author, and this is a game system you're creating? Or are you adding on to a packaged system (sounds like the latter is probably the case).

Screenshots would be great.

Last edited by Mathias; November 18th, 2022 at 09:11 AM.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Senko

Old November 18th, 2022, 11:31 AM
Ok lets try this . . .

These are the sections of the herolab interface where you select options e.g. feats or traits when building a character.

This occurs in the character creation with one section of choices expanding to the point it blocks other ones.

I am just a user, this is partly your system and partly 3rd party created (issue is in both) spheres of power content.

So the first two images should show how what I'm talking about functions in the feats tab. I have 3 boxes/areas I can make choices in feats, traits and drawbacks. Even if I massively overspend on feats that "box" will only expand to a certain point and then I'll have scrolling bar to move up and down. I can however continue to access/choose traits and drawbacks.

https://ibb.co/FYXXqMk
https://ibb.co/7gjdCL1

In the 3rd party sphere I want to change I again have 3 choices talents, tradition and drawbacks. Those are my 3 boxes. However here even if I spend less than you get for a high level character the talents box extends down far enough it forces the tradition and drawbacks choices off the screen so I can no longer interact with them. I want to lock that talents "box" the same way the feats one is locked so it wont extend down far enough to force other elements of character creation off the screen.

https://ibb.co/YhnZBnV
https://ibb.co/qnq7xZ9

This also happens in the personal tab of the character creation but the other way if you make too many personal adjustments that section extends upwards to cover the character portrait and history components. Though as I'm limited to 4 images I can't upload those screenshots.

https://ibb.co/NsSj7Bs
https://ibb.co/VgX2jxH

In summary certain elements of the user interface will only expand so far to avoid hiding others but some will just keep growing bigger till they hide other elements. I found a work around for the personal tab but this spheres one is required to spend the talents and hides elements in normal game usage. It is 3rd party as I said so not something your responsible for I just am wondering how hard it would be for me to lock/resize the talents box so I can see the drawbacks/tradition ones?

EDIT
Also included link to screenshots as they're not showing.

Last edited by Senko; November 18th, 2022 at 11:40 AM.
Senko is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 18th, 2022, 12:04 PM
The Magic Sphere Abilities tab is not something official, so it is open to user edits, although I don't know which file(s) it would be stored in, although a search of all the .dat files for key words that are here but probably won't be anywhere else, like the table titles like "MSB/MSD" should be unique enough to help you find the right file.

Any changes you make will be overwritten by any official updates of these files, although you may be able to submit these to the creator as improvements to be incorporated.

And yes, you can add the same kind of more intelligent layout handling we've added to some of our own tabs to this tab, too - it appears that right now, it's using a layout that is very simple to code, that just appends each new table X pixels below the previous one, regardless of their position on the tab as a whole. Check the authoring kit forum - there may be visual code examples available for this.

The issue on the personal tab is something you should submit as a bug report - users can't fix that one, but we can put it on our to-do list.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
Senko

Old November 18th, 2022, 02:06 PM
Thank you, I'm not that good at coding so I didn't want to bury myself in it if it would be too complex. I'll have a read through the authoring kit and see what I can find.
Senko is offline   #5 Reply With Quote