Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

jlong05
Volunteer Data File Author

Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old September 12th, 2020, 06:55 AM
Wanted to ask if anyone here uses HLC on PC for in play use during games? I was surprised that the in-play functionality seems so much less functional on my PC versus my HLC iPad app.

Maybe I have something configured wrong, but in-play for dice, abilities, screens etc... all appear less than functional. It just is cumbersome to manage character updates and large text typing on the iPad, so I then use the POC, export the saved character portfolio and then open from my cloud drive for my game session.

Is this really how everyone is doing this??

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 12th, 2020, 11:58 AM
I use it on my laptop from time to time when I don't have an internet connection to help me track initiative/monter hit points as a DM.

My players that have it refuse to use the PC or iPad version as a play aid, but just use it as a character validation tool between sessions.

Most of our sessions are now Fantasy Grounds and Discord, both of which have a lot better dice rolling and automation options. Sadly, with the progress that Fantasy Grounds Unity's new character builder is making, my players are likely to drop HLC in the future unless HLC can build some better import/export functionality between the two. I know we can export from HLC, but getting a character updated from FG is trickier.

It would have been nice to see collaboration between the two communities or at least with Roll20.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 12th, 2020, 01:22 PM
In Play, only for Roll20 online sessions. I just use it between games to update sheets and make pdfs for the players to print if we're at a physical table. This way I don't have to worry about "that one person" losing their sheet every week.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old September 12th, 2020, 03:16 PM
I mostly use HL to update sheets between games. As a GM, I did regularly take a laptop and ran combat with the Combat Manager for a time. While it helped a lot with initiative tracking, the delay to change monsters, record mass damage, etc between combats was more time consuming than I liked, and the laptop itself took up more space on the table than I wanted. Table space is valuable with 6-7 players. I've gone back to just using it between sessions.
As a player - I took the laptop for a while, and found that was great for just running one character. All my information was handy and when people wanted other stuff like spell descriptions, equipment, etc I generally got to it faster than someone with a book.

If I had a tablet or ipad, I'd use that all the time as a player. I do prefer to roll my own dice, not use the built in roller.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Phrll

Old September 13th, 2020, 02:59 AM
I hadn't used the In-Play tab before all my groups moved to Roll20 or Discord this spring but now that I have, I love it. I plan to keep using it with any of the groups that have enough table space for me to bring laptop. I've also started using the Tactical Console as a GM. I've been using HLC to create NPCs, monsters, etc. for a long time but since I didn't take a laptop with me, never used it in a game before.
Phrll is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
The_Traveller

Old September 13th, 2020, 05:25 PM
So I use HLC at the table all the time. I play D&D AL. Since I have different players every session, I typically have a portfolio with 7 generic characters (they represent the players at the table). I also use RW to run the campaign allowing me to setup the multiple possible encounters. Then I need only import load the encounter into the active portfolio and I can easily keep track of initiative and damage. I don't use the dice roller as i find it clunky so I use an android based on for that.

Yes i have a laptop and a small tablet at my seat. On occasion I use a portable monitor too (draws power from the laptop) to show maps or other handouts that don't need to be printed.
The_Traveller is offline   #6 Reply With Quote