Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Yosef

Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:52 PM
just discovered this program I sure hope realm works adds these features to their program, as it makes combat encounters so easy to keep track of

http://combatmanager.com/
Yosef is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Knightblde

Old June 23rd, 2013, 06:01 AM
While Combat Manager looks useful it is not anywhere near what Realm Works is envisioned as. Realm Works is about the story and information while Combat Manager is about the dice rolls.
Knightblde is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
Keep the project focused. That combat manager looks solid. It's the right tool for the job. However, Realm Works is agnostic and can be used for any game setting and and game. It would be a major shift for the devs to start adding in support for specific games...a really bad shift. Rule mechanics like spells, abilities and combat maneuvers should not be a part of a campaign manager.

What would be great is if the above mentioned combat manager interfaced nicely with HL and RW (and VTT's). Again, the right tools for the right jobs. I use d20pro as my combat manager so my ideal would be for Wolflair to create the appropriate hooks so that d20pro can develop plugins to pull stat blocks directly from RW and the to push PC/NPC changes back to HL.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Yosef

Old June 23rd, 2013, 04:52 PM
I agree with the last post that interface capability would be The answer.

Hero Lab I think is a great tool for the player ( I'm enjoying using it) but it lacks some the features necessary to be really useful for the dungeon Master.

I do want realm works to be supporting the story-based role-playing elements but part of that story takes place in how smoothly and efficiently you run a battle encounter, matter of fact the better and more efficient you handle the encounter the more role-playing takes place in the evening.

The difference between awesome games and average games is this: average game a small amount of time is spent role-playing most of the evening spent resolving a battle encounter lost in tedious rules and rolls.

Awesome games most of the evenings players lost in the role-playing element still experiencing the same encounter but it running so smoothly and efficiently that it facilitates greater role-playing and doesn't bog down.

To accomplish that and use the rule system like Pathfinder you need a encounter management tool, If it needs to be a separate program so be it but having an simple integration with the two current products is paramount.

I'm still not clear on how hero lab and realm works integrate currently, eagerly awaiting realm works.

The features that make combat manager that are so useful:

1. A file that holds all the player characters together as a group
2. The file that holds all the monsters for a particular encounter together as a group, with a quick summary of their stats.
3. A quick and efficient way to line them up in an initiative roll
4 a quick and efficient way to track the monsters hit points
5. An easy way to assign experience points to the encounter.

the rest of the stuff although useful is not essential
Yosef is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old June 24th, 2013, 01:42 AM
HeroLabs can do all of the things you listed, Yosef, other than assigning XP.

I put my players together in one Portfolio. Each encounter gets its own Portfolio as well. When I'm ready for an encounter, I import the encounter portfolio into the player portfolio, open the tactical console, and start the combat. HL rolls initiative for me and automatically sorts the roster. After each player takes their turn you click the appropriate button and they're moved to the bottom of the pile.

RealmWorks is, again, system neutral. It is, plain and simple, an extraordinary way to collect and organize your campaign information and to disseminate it to your players.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Yosef

Old June 26th, 2013, 03:06 AM
thanks I just found those features
Yosef is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old June 26th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
HeroLabs can do all of the things you listed, Yosef, other than assigning XP.
<snip>
RealmWorks is, again, system neutral. It is, plain and simple, an extraordinary way to collect and organize your campaign information and to disseminate it to your players.
In my online game, I use Fantasy Grounds 2, which has some amazing combat/campaign controls in it. I'd much rather Smiteworks do their thing with FG2 and have Lone Wolf do their thing with the system neutral campaign information. I don't want to have LOTS of programs but 'Everything in one' never seems to work out that well, so a couple core tools is fine with me.
weogarth is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
swhite58

Old July 10th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Combat Manager is brilliant, and it loads HL files, so there is a commonality between the three programs. I can see myself having them all open during a game, perhaps Combat Manager on the iPad.
swhite58 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old July 11th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I already have CM and HL open at the same time, so I think I'll be like you and simply have RW open too.
enrious is offline   #9 Reply With Quote