Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

congressman

Old February 10th, 2007, 06:00 PM
HL v1.0g

bug: I increase my Con at level up and the HP modifier also increases, but it increases also for all previous levels.

issue?: I cannot customize elven chain through the GUI. I'm not familiar enough with D&D to know if +1 ELven CHain is kosher or not.

feature: I'd like the filtering views for skills, feats, items, &c. ala PCGen and also the pre-req tree views for skills and feats. Also, some sort of weekly or monthly update of data set conversion would be great (you do have have a deadline for deliverables and some methodology for tracking progress, yes?). And lastly, something here on teh website that shows bugs squashed and features to-do list? So I know what I can expected by $30 invetsment to look like in 6 months?

Thompson
congressman is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
vivisect

Old February 11th, 2007, 02:11 AM
"bug: I increase my Con at level up and the HP modifier also increases, but it increases also for all previous levels. "

That's not a bug - this is how it should work. I can't find it in the SRD, but if you have the Player's Handbook, look in the classes chapter under experience and levels. It states that if your Con modifier goes up, that you add 1 to your HP for previous levels.
vivisect is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old February 11th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Page 58, PHB: If your character's Constitution Modifier increases by 1, add +1 to his or her hitpoints for each level below the one just attained. Add these points before rolling for hitpoints.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM
At 07:00 PM 2/10/2007, you wrote:

>HL v1.0g
>
>bug: I increase my Con at level up and the HP modifier also
>increases, but it increases also for all previous levels.

As the other guys have pointed out, this is how the rules work.

>issue?: I cannot customize elven chain through the GUI. I'm not
>familiar enough with D&D to know if +1 ELven CHain is kosher or not.

You can't technically make +1 Elven Chain, since elven chain isn't a
base type of armor. However, you can make some custom armor that is
Chainmail, is made of Mithral, and has a +1 bonus - making it exactly
the same as "+1 Elven Chain" armor.

>feature: I'd like the filtering views for skills, feats, items, &c.
>ala PCGen and also the pre-req tree views for skills and feats.

This is already planned for everywhere you can choose from a list,
such as being able to filter spells by level, school, etc.

>Also, some sort of weekly or monthly update of data set conversion
>would be great (you do have have a deadline for deliverables and
>some methodology for tracking progress, yes?). And lastly, something
>here on teh website that shows bugs squashed and features to-do
>list? So I know what I can expected by $30 invetsment to look like in 6 months?

I'll let Rob answer this one. Rob?

--
Colen McAlister (colen@wolflair.com)
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development
http://www.wolflair.com/
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
congressman

Old February 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks to all who have responded, I appreciate it.
congressman is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old February 11th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen
You can't technically make +1 Elven Chain, since elven chain isn't a base type of armor.
Why not? Its already masterwork because of the mithral. All you have to do is start adding the various magical enhancements you want on to it.
kingpaul is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 12th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Also, some sort of weekly or monthly update of data set conversion would be great (you do have have a deadline for deliverables and some methodology for tracking progress, yes?).
What do you mean by "data set conversion" here?

Quote:
And lastly, something here on teh website that shows bugs squashed and features to-do list? So I know what I can expected by $30 invetsment to look like in 6 months?
Publicly doing the above can be a great thing for a large development team in a corporate environment. It's also a great thing for an ad hoc group of volunteers on a freeware project. But it's a significant overhead to setup and maintain, plus it's a wonderful way of locking in consumer expectations and handcuffing yourself as a company. We're a TINY outfit, so the overhead cost of this is extremely high. We also are extremely adaptive and responsive to the fluidity of the real world, so committing to feature X in a specific timeframe is typically a very good way to hamstring that ability.

For those reasons, we do NOT provide any sort of public schedule. We absolutely have an in-house plan (Colen and I just spent 10 hours together in a planning session today), but it's for internal use only so that it can be adapted as necessary to real world occurrences.

Every new product release includes a list of all significant bugs fixed and all features added or modified in some way. You'll find this in the release notes that are in the "readme.txt" file installed with the product.

Lone Wolf Development has been in business for 14 years, developing software both for ourselves and for numerous consulting clients in Silicon Valley. Our self-published products for the gaming industry have been evolving steadily over the past 9 years. Our first such product, Army Builder, has become the industry standard for tabletop miniatures. And this has been accomplished using the above approach all the while.

Hero Lab will continue to evolve. The directions in which it evolves will be dictated substantively by what our customer base asks for. We've already got a lot mapped out, but there is lots of room for adjustment, and we'll invariably hear ideas we never thought of from users. So we'll adapt the plan to create the best product possible and hopefully achieve the same result with Hero Lab as we have with Army Builder.

-Rob
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 12th, 2007, 12:51 AM
At 07:30 PM 2/11/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Colen wrote:
You can't technically make +1 Elven Chain, since elven chain isn't a base type of armor.

Why not? Its already masterwork because of the mithral. All you have to do is start adding the various magical enhancements you want on to it.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't that exactly what Colen outlined doing?

-Rob
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old February 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
Hero Lab will continue to evolve. The directions in which it evolves will be dictated substantively by what our customer base asks for.
Which, looking at AB and how just plain damn good that program is...is EXACTLY how it should be.

Now, if you could only fix that damn spellcaster-class problem I have... :twisted:

No, in all honesty, I just thought I'd toss a 'damn good job and thanks for the help you give' your way. You deserve that and more.

/Daniel
DannyBoy2k is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
At 06:01 AM 2/12/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
rob wrote:
Hero Lab will continue to evolve. The directions in which it evolves will be dictated substantively by what our customer base asks for.

Which, looking at AB and how just plain damn good that program is...is EXACTLY how it should be.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! We think it's been working pretty well, so we're going to stick with what works. :-)

Quote:
Now, if you could only fix that damn spellcaster-class problem I have... [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif[/img]
We should have another update out in the next few days that addresses various bugs and adds some new stuff. Hang tight just a little bit longer, please. :-)

Quote:
No, in all honesty, I just thought I'd toss a 'damn good job and thanks for the help you give' your way. You deserve that and more.
Thanks!

-Rob
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote