Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mirtos

Old August 20th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Second that statement. Been working with CC since version 1 and I still find it difficult to use. Beyond powerful, I mean its a full CAD engine under the hood, but its not easy, inuitive, nor fun to learn. However once you do, it is only limited by your imagination.
I suppose "fun to learn" is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I loved learning it. Might be the type of personality. But its definitely not intuitive if you think you are getting a image manipulation software.
mirtos is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old August 20th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
I suppose "fun to learn" is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I loved learning it. Might be the type of personality. But its definitely not intuitive if you think you are getting a image manipulation software.
I find CC3 awkward to use at the best of times & that's coming from 11 years of using AutoCAD & 3D Studio professionally.

Back on topic: Is there any link to an actual statement about d20pro + RW integration in the kickstarter? I don't want to back on a "maybe" or "supposedly". If there's no official RW integration, then I'd rather just use my own custom VTT.
DMG is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 20th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Honestly, I really wonder about their ability to integrate. I've had integration issues with custom HeroLab portfolios. And that's just XML. RealmsWorks is orders of magnitude more complex.

Out of curiosity, you wrote your own VTT? Is that what you mean by your own custom one?
mirtos is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 20th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Honestly, I really wonder about their ability to integrate. I've had integration issues with custom HeroLab portfolios. And that's just XML. RealmsWorks is orders of magnitude more complex.
We've shared a booth with the d20pro guys at GenCon for multiple years now. We discussed how the integration would work this past week. More discussions are definitely needed, and nothing is finalized at this stage, but we're definitely working from the same playbook. So I'd say the likelihood of there being good integration between Realm Works and d20pro is pretty darn high.
rob is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old August 20th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Out of curiosity, you wrote your own VTT? Is that what you mean by your own custom one?
Sure did. I wrote my own combat map app for the iPad (which imports HL .por files). It then uploads the PC data to a php / MySQL website. The players have their own client interface (written for the PC) which grabs the updated data every few seconds, then displays it on their own screens.

We used it for a few Skype games, but I started having problems due to my web host blocking connections to various ISP's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
We've shared a booth with the d20pro guys at GenCon for multiple years now. We discussed how the integration would work this past week. More discussions are definitely needed, and nothing is finalized at this stage, but we're definitely working from the same playbook. So I'd say the likelihood of there being good integration between Realm Works and d20pro is pretty darn high
Thanks for chiming in Rob. If that's the case then it gives me more confidence about becoming a backer.
DMG is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old August 20th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Well I just popped my Kickstarter cherry & went with the $25 level. Yay!
DMG is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old August 20th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Due to this thread I downloaded the demo copy of d20pro to check it out. As far as I can tell this is for online gaming. It there a way to get this to work with a projector......ie all player at the table, and the view changes based on who's turn it is?
jkthomsen9 is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
MarkNorfolk

Old August 21st, 2014, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
Due to this thread I downloaded the demo copy of d20pro to check it out. As far as I can tell this is for online gaming. It there a way to get this to work with a projector......ie all player at the table, and the view changes based on who's turn it is?
I'm with you. All the VTTs I see seem to primarily be for online play and need work arounds for face-to-face at the table (running a 'player' account at the same time for example). I just need something to run combats because the table's not big enough for the type of battles at the level we've reached.

Cheers
Mark
MarkNorfolk is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 21st, 2014, 02:56 AM
I've only ever seen d20pro used at the table, since my group is all local. And that's how they demo the product in the booth at GenCon every year. So I know that's a standard usage model for the product. Unfortunately, I've never been the one to run those games, so I don't know the technical details of using it that way.

I recommend you post this question on the d20pro forums or in the Kickstarter comments so that you can get an official answer.
rob is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 21st, 2014, 03:44 AM
I think with d20pro, you do this by double clicking on the appropriate person in the roster.

I dont use it myself. (I still use MapTool, because i care more about the map effects than the integration with combat, and in that, MapTools is still the best, IMO)
mirtos is offline   #30 Reply With Quote