Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

phloog

Old January 29th, 2016, 07:56 PM
First off, I'm a buffoon...I saw the 5E SRD content and IMMEDIATELY threw my 20 bucks at you...without realizing what was/wasn't in the SRD.

Then I went to move my character out of Fantasy Grounds to Herolab, and realized that my background, one of my cantrips, etc....

Basically unless I built the character only using the SRD this is useless to me.

Not mad at you..mad at me for spending money without realizing what I was buying...Caveat Jimtor, I guess.

But I noticed you said that IF you ever get a real license like Fantasy Grounds has users will be able to "upgrade"...do you have any idea what that upgrade is going to cost? Are we talking another $30 on top of the $20 I already threw away?

I've been begging d20Pro to get something going with Wizards, and begging you guys, but I guess at this point I'm still stuck using Fantasy Grounds...I can't print, but at least I can actually enter and manage my character.
phloog is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Neverwish

Old January 29th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Thanks to the Editor, we can expect data files for the missing stuff to be available from the community pretty soon, so your money (probably) wasn't spent for nothing.

Since the wording liz used was "given an option to upgrade", I'm guessing money will probably be involved.
Neverwish is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 29th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phloog View Post
But I noticed you said that IF you ever get a real license like Fantasy Grounds has users will be able to "upgrade"...do you have any idea what that upgrade is going to cost? Are we talking another $30 on top of the $20 I already threw away?
You need to be begging WoTC.

That said, they are all in negotiations. I'll all come down to $$$, IP protection, and who WoTC sees as being a higher priority for reaching what they feel is the most desirable markets.

I'm starting to feel that it will all come in its due course, just slower than we would like.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old January 30th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwish View Post
Thanks to the Editor, we can expect data files for the missing stuff to be available from the community pretty soon, so your money (probably) wasn't spent for nothing.

Since the wording liz used was "given an option to upgrade", I'm guessing money will probably be involved.
I would not assume that. It might just be a one time option to stay with the SRD or upgrade to the licensed version of 5E. But once you choose you would have to buy the license after for the other version. Up to the user. (this is a guess)
Nikmal is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ddaley

Old January 30th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Quote:
I've been begging d20Pro to get something going with Wizards, and begging you guys, but I guess at this point I'm still stuck using Fantasy Grounds...I can't print, but at least I can actually enter and manage my character.
Have you tried using this to print from Fantasy Grounds?

https://www.alonlinetools.net/FGCharacterSheet.aspx
ddaley is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
phloog

Old January 30th, 2016, 07:10 AM
The reason this is so annoying is that I'm NOT a huge fan of 5E...it's good, I really enjoy playing it and like my DM, but I'd be equally happy with any of the other rulesets that are 100% supported in HL and D20Pro.

I've always been part-time DM, and since I have all the tools I used to DM, I've been the default archivist of all characters for anything anyone runs.

I'm annoyed that I had to buy $100 worth of Fantasy Grounds add-ons to be able to keep doing that for 5E, and FG is still laughably/pathetically unable to PRINT!!! It's insane...well, honestly it's the same philosophy as Realm Works (do it all online- you don't want to print, do you?) which is why I no longer license that...but I still think it's wrong.

In an IDEAL world I'd convince my other DM to just drop 5E.
phloog is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
phloog

Old January 30th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaley View Post
Have you tried using this to print from Fantasy Grounds?

https://www.alonlinetools.net/FGCharacterSheet.aspx
I've tried a few things and it's uniformly ghastly...but let me try that - thanks for the suggestion! (here's hoping!)

EDIT: This seems to have worked just fine! Thanks, Shoe Shine Boy, you're humble and lovable!!!

EDITEDIT: I still think it's stupid that FG doesn't just let you print. But thanks again.

Last edited by phloog; January 30th, 2016 at 07:16 AM.
phloog is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 30th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Quote:
First off, I'm a buffoon...I saw the 5E SRD content and IMMEDIATELY threw my 20 bucks at you...without realizing what was/wasn't in the SRD.

Then I went to move my character out of Fantasy Grounds to Herolab, and realized that my background, one of my cantrips, etc....

Basically unless I built the character only using the SRD this is useless to me.

Not mad at you..mad at me for spending money without realizing what I was buying...Caveat Jimtor, I guess.
Lone Wolf provide a 30-day money back offer, so you can ask them for a refund for that particular purchase.
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote