Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Warhammer 40K System do you want to see added to the Deathwatch system?
Dark Heresy 8 47.06%
Rogue Trader 5 29.41%
Black Crusade 0 0%
Only War 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Valyar

Old March 15th, 2018, 12:01 PM
The more I read the wiki and the example with SAvage Words,, the more it seems the documentation is lacking. How I can get some files for Warhammer 40k rpg to start exploring further? I know the systems and will be more easy to pick up the pace.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 15th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
The more I read the wiki and the example with SAvage Words,, the more it seems the documentation is lacking. How I can get some files for Warhammer 40k rpg to start exploring further? I know the systems and will be more easy to pick up the pace.
The documentation is incomplete. And that's not going to change anytime soon, sadly. I wish I could give you the code I have worked on but it is not licensed and I don't share unfinished source code. Knowing how GW is about their products, I am not likely to release this code without a license or GW releasing an OGL for their products (which as of yet, has not happened).

The best advice I can give you is to make a new game system, name it, and put it in a folder of your naming choice and then get starting whipping it up from scratch. I'd also advise you not to share what you do with others as GW is one of the more troublesome companies when it comes to their IPs. What you do for "Personal Use" is one thing, and you can get away with a lot under the Fair Use policies of copyrighted material, but if you do share your files, you may be crossing a line into what GW considers piracy. So be careful.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; March 15th, 2018 at 02:56 PM.
RavenX is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old March 16th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Thank you for the reply RavenX.

Indeed, licensing can be a big cockblock for personal/community content, especially if the company is shitty at managing its IP.

Still, there should be OK to have a skeleton file or something for 40k ruleset that does not contain data. After all Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.net have those community created resources for years.

I will keep playing with this stuff over the next weeks, but for now this endeavor with partial and old documentation and lack of collaboration with anyone looks more and more as second job.

Valyar is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 16th, 2018, 12:47 PM
I added the data as I went along in coding. And I don't like giving out unfinished code projects to people. I have not worked on this one in particular in a few years now. I know an empty structure file "might" be ok, but knowing GW I'm not willing to take that risk on sharing. Companies like Onyx Path usually don't give a damn, but GW has sued people for less and I am not willing to be added to that list over a code project I intended for my personal use. When I created that file I had no intention of sharing it and I am not planning on doing so. Sorry.

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old March 17th, 2018, 04:25 AM
I understand you completely, no problem. I would have done the same if I had copyrighted data in my files.

The poll and the thread led me to believe there is possibility to collaborate or to catch up quickly instead of (struggling to) re-invent the wheel, but it is a minor setback. I think uncovering how this product works is the main challenge, not data entry or setting up a skeleton afterwards.

Last edited by Valyar; March 17th, 2018 at 06:28 AM.
Valyar is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 17th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
I understand you completely, no problem. I would have done the same if I had copyrighted data in my files.

The poll and the thread led me to believe there is possibility to collaborate or to catch up quickly instead of (struggling to) re-invent the wheel, but it is a minor setback. I think uncovering how this product works is the main challenge, not data entry or setting up a skeleton afterwards.
Unfortunately, no. I originally planned on expanding it when I thought it was almost done. When GW ended the product line I had no motivation to finish it. I chose it because it looked like an easy to accomplish system, but that advances system proved very complicated to figure out. This one is not likely to ever see the light of day from me. Its a dead project as of now. Not to mention hand typing all the data from the books really was not enjoyable.

RavenX is offline   #26 Reply With Quote