Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Valyar

Old February 16th, 2018, 10:39 AM
I run RW on server and connect via RDP from the iPad. Doing that while preparing for session. During game I use laptop with full installation.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Last edited by Valyar; February 16th, 2018 at 10:41 AM.
Valyar is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old February 20th, 2018, 01:33 AM
I have to chime in with my own thoughts on this. I have done a lot of testing, because it drove me nuts trying to pin point the cause (in some cases up to 5 times a night)

I tried very hard to make Realmworks run on the Surface, and here is my analysis.

I have tried RW on 4 different types of machines:

Machine 1 - Full Desktop - no issues (no surprise there)
Machine 2 - Surface I5 4GB - Multiple crashes - even raised bug reports, usually when using the player view and the maps
Machine 3 - Surface I7 4GB - Less crashes, but still crashed (interestingly it was opening Herolab files when it crashed here ...go figure)
Machine 4 - Standard I5 Laptop with 12GB ram. - no crashes so far.

My thoughts were that Unless you have one of the top end models, like the i7's you may run into problems.

The moral of my story is, will it run, YES

However, you may experience crashes, especially when you least want, or need it to (and forget trying to actually reproduce those crashes, I tried and tried and couldn't repeat them... but as soon as I stepped up to the game table, bam!)

I don't use RW for Map or player handouts anymore, I have switched to Maptools and run 2 instances on the same machine.

my 5cents worth.
Happydevil43 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 20th, 2018, 04:01 AM
4GB of RAM is very little RAM for Win 8 or 10. You were likely putting RW in a position where it was swapping out to disk a lot. Doing this with smart images, which are actually multiple layers managed by RW, is a fairly well known source of crashes.

The Surface I7 may have simply been faster at doing the switching, twice the processing threads than the I5 and more local cache, so you never crashed until you further taxed the OS by asking it to open another application.

In short it would be unwise to get any device intended to run Windows 8 or 10 and more than lightweight apps with less than 8GB of Ram. This definitely includes any machine you intend on using RW on.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old February 20th, 2018, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
4GB of RAM is very little RAM for Win 8 or 10. You were likely putting RW in a position where it was swapping out to disk a lot. Doing this with smart images, which are actually multiple layers managed by RW, is a fairly well known source of crashes.

The Surface I7 may have simply been faster at doing the switching, twice the processing threads than the I5 and more local cache, so you never crashed until you further taxed the OS by asking it to open another application.

In short it would be unwise to get any device intended to run Windows 8 or 10 and more than lightweight apps with less than 8GB of Ram. This definitely includes any machine you intend on using RW on.
Agreed. Unfortunately there is no way to increase the RAM on the Surface...as far as I know. The laptop works a bit better as the screen is about 4 inches bigger.
Happydevil43 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 20th, 2018, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korlall View Post
I may buy a tablet soon (My first ever yeah!)

I was wondering if Realmwork has a tablet version.
If not, has anyone heard something this could be coming?

Thanks
It runs like a dream on my Surface Pro 3, only real issue is size of screen and resolution. It is a bit small, but other then that its great.

You may be able to find a pro 3 cheap used too. Edit:
It is a i5 with 4GB ram. Now I guess it may depend on the size of the realm.
However I usually use my Sager gamer lappy, it is a bit heavy but it has a 17' screen.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; February 20th, 2018 at 05:30 AM.
Exmortis is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 20th, 2018, 06:37 AM
To add to the usage comments: I mostly use Realm Works as a combined rulebook/sourcebook for my own adventure writing. I don't use the player view or Hero Lab and rarely use attached files (images, PDFs, etc.) of any type. YMMV. :)

My T100 has 2 GB of RAM.

Parody is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 20th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydevil43 View Post
Agreed. Unfortunately there is no way to increase the RAM on the Surface...as far as I know. The laptop works a bit better as the screen is about 4 inches bigger.
Surface uses soldered in Ram so there is no simple way to upgrade. The best option is to choose the higher Ram option when you buy.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old February 20th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Well just to add thought to this conversation.. remember RW isn't very efficient anyway when it comes to "smart maps" ... until there is an improvement from 32bit to 64bit it will continue to struggle in the graphics area....
This is why, like others have mentioned, I don't use RW for the mapping. I look at RW as an electronic notebook, file cabinet to store game info.

Relying on my own terrain building skills, and VTT maps driven through a real mapping software (in my case D20Pro) but Fantasy Grounds, Map Tools,CC3, Roll20 are all good and BETTER than RW at this... but they should be ...RW isn't a map tool nor a VTT.

my 2cp
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 20th, 2018, 02:02 PM
RW does not do tactical maps well at all but for high level stuff, city or country maps, it really cannot be matched.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old February 20th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
................l but for high level stuff, city or country maps, it really cannot be matched.
No offense, this made me chuckle.... the list is quite long on programs that make far better "highlevel stuff"....
I guess my expectations are a bit higher.. YMMV.... to each his own.

I only comment to this for those new to visiting the forum and reviewing the capabilities of the software... so they don't enter into a purchase with unrealistic expectations. Because Realmworks in its current state is mediocre at best as a software mapping tool.
The list of dysfunctional and half baked features have been visited on more threads than can be counted.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #20 Reply With Quote