Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 17th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Mathias,

I've started working on some 2e core mechanic files. I am using the 2.5 update (or the most recent re-released core rulebooks) for this data. I need to set up a validation report for attribute scores where the compiler checks the Unmodified ability score against the racial minimums / maximums required for each race. (I am not setting up bounding options intentionally in case a DM allows a member of a race that has an ability score outside the normal boundries the books require, but I'd like a validation error to show up saying the race doesn't meet the ability score requirements.) I created a field called trtNatural to store the unmodified version of the ability score for validation purposes. Each race has a set of Min/Max fields to store the minimal and maximal values of the ability scores for that race. I set each field to have a default value of 3 or 18 respectively. For some reason my code is only registering the default values instead of the ones stored on the race when I go to debug output, how can I get the compiler to test against the actual value stored on the race?

Code:
  <!-- Validate facets of the race -->
  <thing
    id="valRace"
    name="Race"
    compset="Race"
    isunique="yes">
    <tag group="Helper" tag="Bootstrap"/>

<!-- Make sure that we have a race selected -->
    <evalrule index="1" phase="Validate" priority="8000" message="Must be selected"><![CDATA[
      ~if we have a race selected, we're good
      validif (hero.tagis[Race.?] <> 0)
      ]]></evalrule>

<!-- Make sure that our ability scores meet the requirements -->
    <evalrule index="2" phase="Validate" priority="10000" message="Ability Score requirements not met"><![CDATA[
      ~if our ability score is equal to or greater than the minimum requirement, we're good
      var foo as number
      var fii as number

foo = hero.child[attrStr].field[trtNatural].value
      fii = field[minStr].value 
      debug "Nat Str = " & foo & " Tested against min str " & fii

if (hero.child[attrStr].field[trtNatural].value >= field[minStr].value) then
        @valid = 1
      else
        @valid = 0
      endif

~mark associated tabs as invalid
      container.panelvalid[basics] = 0
      ]]></evalrule>

</thing>

For those reading this thread: I am looking for volunteers willing to enter spells, psionic powers, skills, etc. once I have the core mechanics built for the datafiles. I am only planning to add enough spells, powers, and skills to test the actual data. I won't be adding the full range of data to these files as I simply don't have enough time to do so.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old September 17th, 2013, 10:58 PM
As I said before, I've got a few hours a week I can put into this. Not much, but something. A few spells a week will add up.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRevocateur View Post
As I said before, I've got a few hours a week I can put into this. Not much, but something. A few spells a week will add up.
I'll be very forward with you, The core mechanics could take me months to build. I don't expect this to go quickly. If you could start with the descriptions of spells or psionic powers, that would be a huge help. I'm currently working on races, which I hope to get implemented first since they're going to be the easiest parts to do. It's going to be a lot of work to do this, but I've started working on it for now.

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 18th, 2013, 07:26 AM
I recommend re-writing this as an evalrule in the Race component, not as a separate pick.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old September 18th, 2013, 11:28 AM
What can I do to start the descriptions of the spells and psionic powers? Would making a text file that I could copy/paste the descriptions from easily once we have the core rules working be good enough, or should it be in XML or something, as I don't have any experience with that... yet.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 18th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
I recommend re-writing this as an evalrule in the Race component, not as a separate pick.
So you're basically saying move the eval rule to the race component instead of putting in the validation component?

RavenX is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 18th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Quote:
What can I do to start the descriptions of the spells and psionic powers? Would making a text file that I could copy/paste the descriptions from easily once we have the core rules working be good enough, or should it be in XML or something, as I don't have any experience with that... yet.
Text file, Word file, either way it doesn't matter much to me, as typing out the descriptions takes the longest time to do and there are a lot of spells and psionic powers. My personal preference would be for someone to start with psionic powers so that I could put Dark Sun functionality into the mechanics but we need a lot of things from the Player's Handbook.

Let me amend this by saying you should use the skills & powers book to do psionic powers as a guide, since that was the latest updated tome.

I'm working on the race component and background tab right now. Not sure how long it will take to finish but I've gotten a handle on things pretty well.

RavenX is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 18th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Mathias, thanks it seems to work fine now that I've moved it.

RavenX is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old September 19th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
I am using the 2.5 update (or the most recent re-released core rulebooks)
Just for clarity as to what we're working on, do you mean 2.5 as in Skills & Powers, Combat & Tactics, Spells & Magic, and High Level Campaigns, or do you just mean the 1995 'revised' reprints of the PHB and DMG?
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 19th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Just for clarity as to what we're working on, do you mean 2.5 as in Skills & Powers, Combat & Tactics, Spells & Magic, and High Level Campaigns, or do you just mean the 1995 'revised' reprints of the PHB and DMG?
I'm using the reprints from 97 / 2013 rereleased. The books were originally black, with Advanved Dungeons and Dragons on red lettering on them. Skills & Powers is from that set.

RavenX is offline   #10 Reply With Quote