Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Valyar

Old April 9th, 2018, 06:15 AM
I hope I will never have to go back to any of the tools I used before Realm Works. The only competitor here for me is Fantasy Grounds - the modules and the perpetual license.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Last edited by Valyar; April 9th, 2018 at 06:17 AM.
Valyar is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old April 9th, 2018, 07:26 AM
Me too, Valyar.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 9th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Majority of people are turning to One Note from the conversations I'm seeing around the place.
Well, it's hard to beat free.

Parody is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old April 9th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
All those web platforms, I just ignore, no matter how flashy they are. The subscription model is no-go for personal and hobby use IMO.
I appreciate this sentiment, but I don't share it. Obviously, this is a personal choice and to each their own, but I think there are a lot of us here willing to pay a sub. I started out with a free Roll 20 sub and have slowing added to it. Now I pay the full $10 sub. I have also dropped a chunk of dough into D&D Beyond. While neither of these products fill exactly the same niche as RW, my overall experience with both as been way better. The point is that I am willing to pay for a quality product and a quality experience.
meek75 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old April 9th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
I appreciate this sentiment, but I don't share it. Obviously, this is a personal choice and to each their own, but I think there are a lot of us here willing to pay a sub. I started out with a free Roll 20 sub and have slowing added to it. Now I pay the full $10 sub. I have also dropped a chunk of dough into D&D Beyond. While neither of these products fill exactly the same niche as RW, my overall experience with both as been way better. The point is that I am willing to pay for a quality product and a quality experience.
It is not a sentiment, but personal position, in which I am not alone. With my second gaming group we also use roll20. Moved to Plus for the dynamic light and probably we will renew it until FG Ultimate is out. I don’t wanna debate on the bad side of roll20, as this will go into offtopic, but one thing I don’t agree with you:

Quote:
The point is that I am willing to pay for a quality product and a quality experience
Having a subscription based model is no guarantee for quality and experience. At all.

Shitty software is shitty and paying someone to have something constantly in development is not. Good software on the other hand - sure. But depends on the usage and many other factors.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 9th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Without seeing the implementation the all web based model does not appeal to me. What do you do at a con when the WiFi is overwhelmed? What do you do if you game in a basement with terrible reception?

How they pay for it isn't really an issue for me. One of the big problems with RW is LWD never adequately considered how they would make revenue off RW and now they have every egg in the CM basket which frightens me since I can see that it is unlikely to ever be as successful as they need it to be.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old April 9th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
Having a subscription based model is no guarantee for quality and experience. At all.

Shitty software is shitty and paying someone to have something constantly in development is not. Good software on the other hand - sure. But depends on the usage and many other factors.
Yeah, that is without a doubt true. There are a number of products that I did a trail run of and simply didn't have the great experience I was willing to pay for with a sub. My experiences with Roll 20 and D&D Beyond have both been very good so far and I am willing to keep paying for what is offered. When I bought realm works about 4 years ago I was very excited. For the first year and half I was waving the virtual pom-poms and shouting praise. I even convinced some of my gaming friends to buy it. Over time my experience turned sour. Some of the blame was my own. I bought a product based on what "coming soon" rather than on what is currently offered. That set me up for frustration and disappointment. However, LWD bear much of the blame. I won't rehash it all again, but LWD made me feel like they viewed me as the bad guy. Bottom line, I have money to spend on my hobby of choice and I have some options for where to spend it. At the moment RW is still unique in what it offers, but that is not going to be the case forever. LOL, I'm starting to ramble and don't even know what point I was making, so that's a good reason to stop now.
meek75 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
alientude

Old April 9th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Quote:
I won't rehash it all again, but LWD made me feel like they viewed me as the bad guy.
Agreed 100%.
alientude is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old April 9th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Quote:
When I bought realm works about 4 years ago I was very excited. For the first year and half I was waving the virtual pom-poms and shouting praise. I even convinced some of my gaming friends to buy it. Over time my experience turned sour. Some of the blame was my own. I bought a product based on what "coming soon" rather than on what is currently offered. That set me up for frustration and disappointment. However, LWD bear much of the blame. I won't rehash it all again, but LWD made me feel like they viewed me as the bad guy.
You can stop spying and telling my life story now. Unfortunately this statement is too true for too many of us.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old April 11th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
You can stop spying and telling my life story now. Unfortunately this statement is too true for too many of us.
Sadly, yes. In many ways.
evildmguy is offline   #20 Reply With Quote