Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Silveras

Old December 7th, 2018, 11:42 AM
When text is cut-and-pasted, it often includes formatting that is not readily available... such as fonts. Rather than warn the user about it, if the Realm has defined styles for Normal, etc. Snippet Styles, make it the default behavior to apply the typeface (font) and size. Using "Paste Special" or another command could allow the current pasting with formatting, but I think most users would prefer that pasted text automatically assume the standard font and size.
Silveras is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old December 7th, 2018, 04:57 PM
+111111111
Bidmaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 7th, 2018, 08:04 PM
I'd never want this; Paste should always be "paste exactly what's there". Instead, I'd want a keyboard shortcut for Paste Plain Text, which would end up doing what you describe. My desktop publishing apps use Ctrl-Shift-V for Paste Plain Text.

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 7th, 2018, 09:36 PM
How is this not already what RW does by using CTRL-ALT-V? This brings up this window that allows for unformatted text which then defaults to the RW style, size, font set for the realm.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 7th, 2018, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody
I'd never want this; Paste should always be "paste exactly what's there". Instead, I'd want a keyboard shortcut for Paste Plain Text, which would end up doing what you describe. My desktop publishing apps use Ctrl-Shift-V for Paste Plain Text.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh
How is this not already what RW does by using CTRL-ALT-V? This brings up this window that allows for unformatted text which then defaults to the RW style, size, font set for the realm.
Well, not exactly what I describe. I specifically mentioned only the font and size, leaving out bold, italic, superscript, subscript, and others because often after pasting with Ctrl-Alt-V I need to go back and restore the bold, italic, and such. My present work-around is to paste "as-is", then Select All (Ctrl-A) and manually apply the font and size in each snippet. If there are many, it becomes quite a hassle. Some may also require that I use the snippet menu command to "Re-format as single paragraph".

I suggested font and size only specifically because those are the two formatting elements I have to correct most often when I want to save myself the hassle of finding and re-applying all of the bold, italic, and other decorative embellishments that may mean something depending on the game system and publisher (Pathfinder, in my case, where italics are used frequently for spell names, magic items, and ship name).

On the other hand, I understand the "I'd never want this". There are plenty of suggestions that make me cringe and think "oh, no, don't do that!" In the end, as long as they are options, I'm fine with the give-and-take. My suggestion could be done as another option in the Ctrl-Alt-V dialog (though I'd then want to have a way to define my own keyboard shortcut to bypass that dialog).

[EDIT]
Presently, "Normal" is the workhorse style and my suggestion mostly applies to such snippets. Snippets intended for specific purposes (Read Aloud, Message, Flavor Text, and Callout) would probably be used with pasted text lacking in bold, italic, and other decorative elements, so using the Paste as Plain Text option is more usable with those.

Last edited by Silveras; December 7th, 2018 at 10:31 PM.
Silveras is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 7th, 2018, 11:18 PM
It didn't occur to me that you were trying to keep part of the formatting. Bold and italic are part of the font; most of the typefaces I work with come in many different weights. I don't commonly use any that have (for example) both italic and oblique forms, but there's nothing stopping a typeface from having multiple "slanted" forms.

Anyway, still not something I'd use as I haven't been trying to bring in text with formatting I care about, but I understand a bit better now. :)

Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 8th, 2018, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
On the other hand, I understand the "I'd never want this". There are plenty of suggestions that make me cringe and think "oh, no, don't do that!"
I was confused on how what you where asking for was different from what we had. If you want to keep Bold/Italics that is different and actually allot harder than you may think.

But I can agree it would be a nice feature if RW could just keep those two styles of the font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
In the end, as long as they are options, I'm fine with the give-and-take. My suggestion could be done as another option in the Ctrl-Alt-V dialog (though I'd then want to have a way to define my own keyboard shortcut to bypass that dialog).
I think Ctrl-Alt-V remembers the last choice you took actually. Meaning a new option in that dialog window would be easy.

Thanks!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 8th, 2018, 04:34 AM
I often jump in to point out where a request may be more difficult than the user asking for it may have realized, so I appreciate the insights behind mine. Thanks!
Silveras is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 8th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Rob has already indicated that paste special should apply the realm's current font rather than RW's default. So that should change eventually.

Beyond that this request seems to run afoul of the very reasons paste special exists.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote