Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - World of Darkness

Notices

Nockerkin

Old September 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'm new to HeroLab and its editor...
I'm looking to make alterations to pre-existing disciplines and merits.
Unfortunately I can't seem to bring up or find how to alter the disciples already in the system or even see them in the editor... Can I even do this?
Nockerkin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM
You cannot directly edit the core data for a game system. Instead, you can create a replacement for the core content. This is done via the integrated Editor. Using the Editor, start by creating a new thing that is a copy of the thing you want to modify/replace. Give your new thing its own unique id and make the appropriate changes you want. The final detail is to enter the unique id of the core item being replaced into the Editor field labeled "Replaces Thing Id". When you save and test your thing, it will be used *instead* of the built-in thing it replaces.

This approach ensures that your changes are completely separate from the core data files, which means that you don't have to worry about updates to the core data files clobbering your changes. Using this technique, you can fully replace core content with your own mechanics.

Also, when you replace built-in content, all references to the built-in thing are automatically pointed to your new replacement instead. For example, if you replace the Longsword in d20 with your own version that has different damage, all magic swords throughout the data files automatically refer to your replacement, so they all inherit the new damage. The same would apply to any disciplines or merits that are referenced by other elements in the data files.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Nockerkin

Old September 15th, 2009, 08:36 PM
How can I get a list of all the Pre-existing Thing ID's for WOD Hero Lab?
Are they in the Help files... I can't seem to find them
Nockerkin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
You can get all the thing ids via two different methods. First, when you click the "New (Copy)" button to create a new thing, all the existing things are listed, along with their ids. Second, there are many places in the Editor where you can get a list of all the things and their ids. If you add/edit an Eval script, an Eval Rule script, an ExprReq, or a PreReq, there's a Find Thing button. If you add/edit a PickReq or a Bootstrap, there's a Choose button. All of these will show you a list of all the things and their ids.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nockerkin

Old September 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Wow! I feel stoopid
Thanks...

Weird thing to... I just found out Disarm is buggy.
It's listed as a 2 dot merit but still the system wants to charge 6xp.
At first I thought Errata may have changed it but after looking at its Thing ID, it does seem like it may be a mistake...

Thanks again for all your help
Nockerkin is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 15th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nockerkin View Post
Weird thing to... I just found out Disarm is buggy.
It's listed as a 2 dot merit but still the system wants to charge 6xp.
That's not a mistake. A multi-dot merit requires payment for all intervening dots as well. Consequently a 2-dot merit costs 6xp, a 3-dot merit costs 12xp, a 4-dot merit costs 20xp, and a 5-dot merit costs 30xp. This was verified with White Wolf a long while back.

It seems that the MET LARPs will sometimes charge differently, without requiring the intervening dots to be paid for. However, this is an official ruling from White Wolf regarding the tabletop game. It's specifically addressed within the FAQ that can be accessed via the Help menu.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Nockerkin

Old September 16th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Wow... Yeah I was a Cammy and they do things different. All the more reason why they suck. LOL

You know your Shiz-nit... I bow to you! Your RPG-Fu is greater then my own... Clearly

Thanks again!
Nockerkin is offline   #7 Reply With Quote