Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

TaylorBland

Old August 14th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Well as it turns out, i didn't select the Show in Tracked Resources button, so it never showed up. one i figured this out, along with what was posted above, it all came together.

I Swear, the solutions are so freaking simple but i have a hard time with it all. WHY AM I LIKE THIS???

LMAO: in seriousness though, thanks and if i need any more aid, i know where to ask.
TaylorBland is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old August 22nd, 2018, 08:34 PM
Another simple but important question. I have this Race that i am working on, called the Zect. they are insectoid and have 4 arms. my question is how do i add 2 extra hands for weapon use in the racial tab.
TaylorBland is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old August 23rd, 2018, 03:56 AM
I came across this field last month and was amused by it. In the race definition, you can add a field "rNumHands" and set it to any number you want.

There are some restrictions on how this works though, HL considers only 1 of the hands to be a primary, the other 3 are secondary. I have not figured out how to modify additional hand sets to be considered primary.

In my tests the following happens on a 4 handed character, you can wield:

4 one-handed weapons, only 1 gets the primary bonuses unless you have the feats that grant off-hand weapons the damage bonus.

1 two-handed weapon and 2 secondary weapons. The two-handed weapon gets the primary bonuses.

If you have a shield equipped, there is a bug. You can somehow wield a shield even when your hands are completely occupied (like the 4 weapon scenario), there's something wrong with the logic. You can also only wield only 1 shield ever, HL throws a validation error if you try to load 2 shields. I think this is due to the base D&D logic for calculating armor.
dungeonguru is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old August 23rd, 2018, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
I came across this field last month and was amused by it. In the race definition, you can add a field "rNumHands" and set it to any number you want.

There are some restrictions on how this works though, HL considers only 1 of the hands to be a primary, the other 3 are secondary. I have not figured out how to modify additional hand sets to be considered primary.

In my tests the following happens on a 4 handed character, you can wield:

4 one-handed weapons, only 1 gets the primary bonuses unless you have the feats that grant off-hand weapons the damage bonus.

1 two-handed weapon and 2 secondary weapons. The two-handed weapon gets the primary bonuses.

If you have a shield equipped, there is a bug. You can somehow wield a shield even when your hands are completely occupied (like the 4 weapon scenario), there's something wrong with the logic. You can also only wield only 1 shield ever, HL throws a validation error if you try to load 2 shields. I think this is due to the base D&D logic for calculating armor.
i will give this a shot, if not, then i can have a regular two-armed variant that i can work with. thanks

Another thing though. They also have a higher AC than normal due to their natural Carapace (Being Bugs and all), and they cannot wear normal armor to account for this. they can still use a shield but just not armor. In my description, they add their CON Modifier to their AC as well as their DEX Modifier. how would i go about this?

Last edited by TaylorBland; August 23rd, 2018 at 06:40 PM.
TaylorBland is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old August 24th, 2018, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorBland View Post
In my description, they add their CON Modifier to their AC as well as their DEX Modifier. how would i go about this?
There is a new way to create an AC calculation in Racial Specials that was added in one of the last two updates. If you create a new Racial Special, you can scroll to the very end and easily set up an AC calculation using CON, DEX and a Shield.

Simply, check the Armor Class Calculation? checkbox, fill in the new base AC (if with now DEX/CON/Shield bonuses your AC is 12, put in 12) for the Base Value. Finally, click the button for AC modifiers and choose which modifiers will be used.

This doesn't turn off the ability to equip armor though. What happens is HL will calculate all the AC available and choose the best number.

There is a script on the tortle PC in the Tomb of Annihilation file that basically sets the AC bonus of any armor put on to 0 if you want to try and address the edge case that plate armor is better than the new AC calculation that you can look at as an example. The tortle was created before these new racial options, so the script is on the base PC version of the tortle.
dungeonguru is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old August 30th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Alrighty, i figured out how to do that. the AC thing was easier than i thought. also, because of their physiology, the Zect do not wear normal armor. how do i script this? i know there is a way to remove armor selection but i don't know how to do it myself.
TaylorBland is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old August 30th, 2018, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure you can completely turn off the ability to equip it, however you could check for the hero level tag: Hero.EquipArmor

If this tag is on, you could throw an error using an eval rule.

Click on eval rule and add one.
Set the Phase to Final
Set the Priority to 10000
Leave the index and severity alone
In the Message and Summary fields type: Hero Cannot Wear Armor!
And for the script use this:
validif (hero.tagis[Hero.EquipArmor] = 0)

It will throw a validation error up top with any other validation errors.

or you can try to modify the code below that basically zeroes out any armor worn, it won't fix every case scenario thought.

I run this post-attributes 5000 on my copy of the Tortle:
Code:
doneif (tagis[Helper.Disable] <> 0)

var dexmod as number

dexmod = #attrmod[aDEX]
~ turn it into a penalty
dexmod *= -1

if (hero.tagis[Hero.EquipArmor] = 1) then
     ~ we are armored, strip all armor bonuses from Dex regardless
     hero.child[ArmorClass].field[tACDexMod].value = 0
     foreach pick in hero from BaseArmor where "Helper.CurrArmor"
     ~ kill off any type of AC modifier on the armor itself