Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Venger

Old April 1st, 2014, 02:55 PM
I already know the answer to this question, but thought I would bring it up as food for thought.

What if we end up playing somewhere one evening where there is no internet available?

Yes, it CAN happen. I can think of a couple of very possible scenarios.

1- I have a friend who still has no internet at his house. He has a smart phone and says he doesn't need it!!
We used to play there several years ago. Currently we are playing at a guy's house that has internet so it's not a problem, BUT... what if we end up back at No-Internet-Guy's house?

2- The guy hosting the game at his house forgot to pay his cable bill and we arrive there and he announces there is no internet. All the session's info is in RW. What do I do?

Is there any provision for such scenarios?
Venger is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 1st, 2014, 02:59 PM
You don't need internet connection to do anything other than create a new Realm. To open, use, display, etc. a Realm you don't need to be connected to any kind of network at all.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old April 1st, 2014, 03:03 PM
Oh! I did not realize this! That is good.
I just tried it.

I assumed that having to login when you launch RW meant it needs a live internet conn.

Thanks
Venger is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old April 1st, 2014, 03:07 PM
I game at a friend's house and never log onto his WiFi. Realm Works runs offline on my laptop just fine. The only downside will be that players without an internet connection at the table won't be able to leverage the player access feature during play once it's available.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old April 1st, 2014, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger View Post
I already know the answer to this question, but thought I would bring it up as food for thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger View Post
Oh! I did not realize this! That is good.
I just tried it.

I assumed...
Good thing you asked. Never assume or take anything for granted. If there's something you think Realm Works should be able to do, bring it up. It may already be possible, or it may get added to the list of pending features. You'll never know for sure until you ask.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 1st, 2014, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Automaton View Post
I game at a friend's house and never log onto his WiFi. Realm Works runs offline on my laptop just fine. The only downside will be that players without an internet connection at the table won't be able to leverage the player access feature during play once it's available.
Although it's worthwhile to note that the GM will still have player view available on their machine to either use on their monitor (turning it around for the players to see when needed) or to display on a second monitor at the table, if you have one available. So there is at least some part of the player view available, just not one that the players themselves would control (well, when that function becomes available, that is.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old April 2nd, 2014, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Mystic Lemur, I appreciate it. I try to learn from the available material, but until I go through it all I may ask a question or two of great concern to me. The worst of which was the no-internet issue. I am pleased by the reply.

Yes that's a nice feature Zalor. I use my laptop on gameday and send video to a 38" TV for the players to see mainly maps.

I have been using RpgTool's Maptool to display map info with.
But it was always a hassle to display text in this way unless I dragged an edited Word doc which meant extra work to weed out the GM stuff.
RW is going to be awesome once I master it.

I will be starting small, we play this Sunday and I am transferring my notes for this session from Word to RW and will give it a whirl!
Venger is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:33 PM
@Venger: Let us know how it works out!!!
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote