Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

njndirish

Old March 27th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Would it be possible to be able to change pin colors based on categories or other groupings (like what cities belong to what nation state)?

Is there a way to do group selection/changes? Say I want to move all the community profiles I've created from Story almanac to world almanac. Is there a way I can do it without constantly right clicking the profiles?
njndirish is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
monsterfurby

Old March 28th, 2014, 12:44 AM
+1 on both

Especially group selection would be great to have!
monsterfurby is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 28th, 2014, 03:27 AM
On the first I'm not sure if color was part of their discussion but I believe LWD is working on at least adding pins with different icon shapes. Color may or may not be part of that, but I'd +1 the idea as well if it isn't.

For groups of things... well, if it's easier you could select their containing topic to move everything under that over, which might be useful if you're moving a bunch of stuff to one side or the other where the majority has to move and then go back and send back the fewer topics. Otherwise this is probably a good example of why I generally keep most things in World to begin with rather than working directly in Story. It's also a good way to consider how you group things, too. If you granularize things enough then you can try to keep those things that you might be moving more grouped together under a single category where it's easier to just move the category. I don't otherwise think using CTRL-click works (although I suppose you could try it... I don't have the program in front of me now or I'd check it for you.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
monsterfurby

Old March 28th, 2014, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
For groups of things... well, if it's easier you could select their containing topic to move everything under that over, which might be useful if you're moving a bunch of stuff to one side or the other where the majority has to move and then go back and send back the fewer topics. Otherwise this is probably a good example of why I generally keep most things in World to begin with rather than working directly in Story. It's also a good way to consider how you group things, too. If you granularize things enough then you can try to keep those things that you might be moving more grouped together under a single category where it's easier to just move the category. I don't otherwise think using CTRL-click works (although I suppose you could try it... I don't have the program in front of me now or I'd check it for you.)
Structure is one of the things I am still contemplating - it appears that choosing a standard high-level item (such as places in an exploratory setting, organizations in a political setting, etc.) and then putting other items under it seems to be the way to go. On the other hand, I quite like the straightforwardness of having things grouped by type, i.e. places, characters and organizations separate. Still not sure what works best though.
monsterfurby is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 28th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterfurby View Post
Structure is one of the things I am still contemplating - it appears that choosing a standard high-level item (such as places in an exploratory setting, organizations in a political setting, etc.) and then putting other items under it seems to be the way to go. On the other hand, I quite like the straightforwardness of having things grouped by type, i.e. places, characters and organizations separate. Still not sure what works best though.
That's probably one of the more personalized things to deal with in RealmWorks. Figuring out how you want to structure things in a way that will work best for you. In a space game you may be fine grouping things down so the smallest grouping is of cities on a planet, but a fantasy game might group down to neighborhoods in the city, or like for Deadlands Noir which mostly takes place all in one city, New Orleans, you might break it down even more depending on what your needs are. Definitely one of the tougher decisions to work out.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterfurby View Post
If you use containment, you get the hierarchy view. However, you can always turn OFF the hierarchy view at any time and see everything flat. Use the Tools menu at the top of the navigation pane when all the topics are listed to change the display behavior of the list.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote