Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 25th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Campaign Cartographer and Fractal Mapper are somewhat similar in my opinion. I use CC3 right now personally. The learning curve is there as many people have mentioned but the time invested was worth learning it. And it beats drawing many of these maps by hand.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old March 25th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartwaring View Post
@ Chelmak
Does buying RW not get me into the Insane GM club?

Thanks for the tip on the Tome, I was strongly considering it, but i think i will get it printed, as i find it hard to read on screen.

Have already tried the whole pick up and play thing with a small amount of success but as mentioned found myself in a world of hurt. Am indeed going back to tutorials now!
Buying 1 piece of software for GM'ing only gets you weird looks. Buying two pieces of software gets you into the 'committed' category. Buying 3 pieces of software for GMing is classified as insane. Since we all know no one has EVER bought more than 3 pieces of software for GMing we can reasonably say that 1 is good enough for a membership into the Insane GM club.

I repeat for anyone listening, no one has ever, in their life, even considered buying more than 3 pieces of software to aid in GMing.
Mmurphy is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old March 25th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Hero Lab + Realm Works + CC3, looks like I'm a certified nutter!
Aaron is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old March 25th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Hero lab,Realm works,The Keep,Fractal Mapper, Fractal Terrains, CC3 and CC3+,DD3,CD3,D20pro, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons core rules 2 and expansion. I supported Kickstarters for Mote,D20pro unlimited, Obsidian Portal, and otherworld mapper. I support those people who make tools that make my life as a GM easier I am more than a bit certifiable
Dervish is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 25th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Not to mention some of us have been creating game aids on their computers since before some of their current players were born.

Parody is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old March 25th, 2015, 11:55 PM
I'm in the same boat as Aaron. Somehow a game based entirely on imagination has become an extremely expensive hobby!
stuartwaring is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old March 26th, 2015, 12:17 AM
Okay, let's see if I can get this right...

CC (the original), DD (the original), The Profantasy Worldbuilder Bundle (because I'm not going to remember everything that comes in it), CC3+, ToUM, Hero Lab (multiple licences, multiple game systems), Realm Works (GM edition kickstarted and a 5-pack of player editions), AD&D Core Rules 2 & Expansion.

Can't think of anything else, but I am the current caretaker of the Ultimate Campaign Kingdom Tracking Spreadsheet.

Yep, I'm an outright nutter.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 26th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
...... I support those people who make tools that make my life as a GM easier I am more than a bit certifiable
While I to support those that make tools that make my DMing easier, I trump that with I will also at times pull their chains. Here's to ya Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Not to mention some of us have been creating game aids on their computers since before some of their current players were born.
Parody has a valid point.... when you can say you have tools that are older than your players, I think that elevates it to Royal Nutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartwaring View Post
I'm in the same boat as Aaron. Somehow a game based entirely on imagination has become an extremely expensive hobby!
LOL this made me laugh out loud... SO TRUE, what was a divirsion some 30 years ago because we as a group couldn't afford to go out, it became a pastime of pizza and dungeon crawl ( hey what else can you do for 8 people with $20?)... Now all these years later, I have an insane game room (insert "thanks to the wife" plug here) and can come on varied forums (back in my day they were bulletin boards) and talk with folks on our shared terminal affliction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
Okay, let's see if I can get this right...
CC (the original), DD (the original), The Profantasy Worldbuilder Bundle (because I'm not going to remember everything that comes in it), CC3+, ToUM, Hero Lab (multiple licences, multiple game systems), Realm Works (GM edition kickstarted and a 5-pack of player editions), AD&D Core Rules 2 & Expansion.
Can't think of anything else, but I am the current caretaker of the Ultimate Campaign Kingdom Tracking Spreadsheet.
Yep, I'm an outright nutter.
Humm, I would be embarrassed to list all of the varied softwares, tools, etc I have utilized. Lets just say I've pretty much seen them all. When you have close to $20k (adjusted to current market pricing) just in lead figures @ an average of $3 each, I think that alone would qualify me as a Royal Nutter

DLG
Royal Nutter
& Unofficial Rob Bad Guy Dog house Occupant
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 26th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Back to the Thread...
for all in general, I think when making a map of any kind there should be some questions asked first.
  1. How will I utilize the map?
    Do I see this printed out as a handout?
    As a Battle Map?
    As an Electronic map for use as display or Virtual Table Top?
  2. Do I see this map as a one shot and throw away?
  3. Do I intend to revisit, or reuse map in the future?
  4. Do I intend to update the map?
  5. Do I intend to share the map with others for their use?

I'm sure there are more things to consider, but those above would cover most.
Once you can define each of those it will help in your selection of the "right tool for the job".
Consider also if you intend on printing the map...
  1. How large does it need to be?
  2. Can my printer do that size?
  3. 3rd party printing might be cheaper than killing my cartridges in my printer?

General Support Considerations
  1. How much $ can I afford to put toward the tool?
  2. How much time can I spend Learning the tool and then utilizing it?
    This one is a tough one, When the point is to "play the game" you don't want to spend more than a quantifiable amount of your "free time" to support your "game time". All of our time is demanded from may directions. LDW (and others) are making a living selling you a solution to getting the most value from your time spent in support of your gaming time. DMing is a passion, its not for everyone.
  3. How much (electronically) will be required to use the tool to its full benefit?
    Meaning> Do you have enough PC, Printer, Monitor, etc to use the tool effectively. Often times I have had to upgrade hardware to support the use of new software. Which equates to $ also.

Once that is determined not only does the "tool" have to be considered, but the file format as well. So consider that as you choose your next tool.

my 2cp
DLG

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; March 26th, 2015 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added "General Support Considerations"
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old March 26th, 2015, 02:57 PM
@DLG, i did indeed consider all these things, and ensured my wife signed off on it - she raised the same points as you: If you spend this much on it, are you actually going to use it enough to make it worthwhile?

My answer was yes (hopefully). WIll have to invest in the other symbol sets at some point though.

Is it worth getting the annuals though, once i am more acquainted with the program?
stuartwaring is offline   #30 Reply With Quote